Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

A new article over on Games Radar, more or less what we have always been saying about digital content. As in, it's only yours until they take it away from you.

Marvel vs. Capcom's disappearance spotlights the downside of a digital future
    http://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-vs-capcoms-disappearance-spotlights-downside-digital-future/

I really like digital content(movies and games)as you can have it more or less right away. But there really is a massive downside to it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I totally missed Atari's war on mobile games, which happened last year:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/atari-allegedly-claiming-copyright-infringement-on-hundreds-of/

Damn, was looking forward to playing Vector Tanks, on my first ever Apple product which is coming soon!
    Ah well, looks like i'll have to wait til the next jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Happened by pure chance to get talkin to a guy tonight who worked for atari in tipp in the eighties, he noticed my hoodie with an atari patch and came over to chat, says he may have some stuff still back in his home house in tipp, i hope this isnt another one of those false leads to retro goodness...

It'll either be absolutely nothing or the next hoard of Atari prototypes and developer hardware worth a fortune.

Fingers crossed!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

o1s1n wrote: »
    It'll either be absolutely nothing or the next hoard of Atari prototypes and developer hardware worth a fortune.

Fingers crossed!:)

He mentioned having some marquees but hadn't seen them in years, they could have been thrown out :( would be class to get some of them, knowing where they came from.
    But he did seem genuine that he would have a look regardless

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    A new article over on Games Radar, more or less what we have always been saying about digital content. As in, it's only yours until they take it away from you.

http://www.gamesradar.com/marvel-vs-capcoms-disappearance-spotlights-downside-digital-future/

I really like digital content(movies and games)as you can have it more or less right away. But there really is a massive downside to it as well.

Thanks for posting that, I've been worried about that since the digital content started coming to our consoles.
    It's a reality that your purchases would someday be not only obsolete along with the host console, but also they could be simply removed from the store for redownloading should it be required for whatever reason.
    We saw a brutal version this on the Kindle of all things, when they ironically deleted 1984 off of peoples ereaders due to rights issues, once their kindles connected to the Amazon system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is "decent price" less than the rrp? Otherwise don't bother, seriously

Yeah it's less than the rrp. One of my friends won one, but already bought one beforehand so wants to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah it's less than the rrp. One of my friends won one, but already bought one beforehand so wants to sell.

A good deal is a good deal, & you could be playing Dead Rising 3 on Xmas morning :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Unless the price is cheaper than a PS4 then I can't see any reason to take it.

Ah yes, dead rising. The perfect game for getting into that festive spirit! :P

It's a little bit more than a PS4, but I'm going to end up buying both anyway.

I told him I'd let him know after Christmas, see if I get any Christmas $.

In hindsight I'd only pick up a PS4. The Xbox One just isn't there at the moment.
    And the PS4 looks nicer under my telly :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So I finished Shin Megami Tensei 4 last night and while it's one of the best games I've played in a long time there's one thing that really annoyed me in the end. The game has got a very interesting setting and I was dying to find out more about it and also the reasons why it existed. In the Law ending I got none of this was explained. I thought maybe the Chaos and Neutral endings would shed some light so I looked them up. Nope not there either.

Turns out everything is answered.... In the DLC packs. Now the game can be enjoyed just fine without them but leaving such a massive and important part of the story, such as the whole origin of the games setting in the DLC is just flat out wrong considering it also explains what happens in one of the games more confusing chapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Awesome CDi cab conversion build over on J+, pity it wasn't on a candy :)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57329&title=cdi-arcade-cab

Master of the Universe

Awesome CDi cab conversion build over on J+, pity it wasn't on a candy :)

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=57329&title=cdi-arcade-cab

I've tried to write something in reply to that, but I literally have no words :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »

I never normally read the small print when downloading games but presumably it says the games will work as long as the service is running? A bit crap but ultimately not much we can do about once there's no longer a physical product to buy (if there was one in the first place).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ultimate MvC 3 is only a fiver on Xbox Live at the moment actually, so if you do want it it's a good price before it disappears into the digital ether.

The disappearance is just a digital version of a problem that affects physical goods too - books, films etc... are always going out of print due to rights issues and agreements. Digital retirement is just regrettably less friendly towards the second hand market.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, at least with retired books you can still hunt a copy down somewhere. It's at least archived for future generations.

Digital content worries me in that regard. Thank fook for pirates backing everything up.

Yeah, at least with retired books you can still hunt a copy down somewhere. It's at least archived for future generations.

Digital content worries me in that regard. Thank fook for pirates backing everything up.

All joking aside, it is and will be in the future our best archival source.
    I'm an archivist, not a pirate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Friend of mine a while back was arguing with me that owning certain games was now pointless due to them being available digitally. Beyond Good and Evil, Ikaruga, Castlevania and various Sonic games had been released on XBL/PSN and he was pretty much calling my Gamecube and Playstation copies a waste of space. My argument was that the copies I have on disc although not HD remakes or updated like the digital versions were here to stay. In 20 years, as long as I have a Gamecube, a TV and the disc I could turn on Ikaruga and give it a blast, if my Xbox hard drive has a brain fart 20 years from now what are the chances I will be able to redownload the games? I said very very slim, he said nonsense they will always be available "you've paid for it". pffft

When I tried to redownload all the XBL games the last time I suffered a RROD there was a sneaky amount of 'content not available' going on. Don't like to think what it'll be like in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

eddhorse wrote: »

I'd say there's about 5 or 6 of those ordered already form this forum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'd say there's about 5 or 6 of those ordered already form this forum :pac:

Just making sure it didn't slip through the net. Very difficult to get through this forums net though. They smell Retro goodness from miles away....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Danonino. wrote: »
    Friend of mine a while back was arguing with me that owning certain games was now pointless due to them being available digitally. Beyond Good and Evil, Ikaruga, Castlevania and various Sonic games had been released on XBL/PSN and he was pretty much calling my Gamecube and Playstation copies a waste of space. My argument was that the copies I have on disc although not HD remakes or updated like the digital versions were here to stay. In 20 years, as long as I have a Gamecube, a TV and the disc I could turn on Ikaruga and give it a blast, if my Xbox hard drive has a brain fart 20 years from now what are the chances I will be able to redownload the games? I said very very slim, he said nonsense they will always be available "you've paid for it". pffft

When I tried to redownload all the XBL games the last time I suffered a RROD there was a sneaky amount of 'content not available' going on. Don't like to think what it'll be like in a few years.

That "friend"?
    Not a friend.
    Get rid.
    Get new friends who understand the precious things.

A Zelda Dynasty Warriors game... yikes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,894 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dynasty Warriors zelda can naff off.

Some decent but not amazing stuff shown. Layton vs Wright finally getting an english release is nice. Kirby looks great and Mario Kart 8 looks gorgeous. I'll probably pick up NES Remix tonight. Looks like fun and good to see the WiiU shop get some nice small downloadable titles, it was pretty barren.

See Sonic in the Yoshi game just felt wrong. He was going through pipes and everything. It just confirms what we all knew, Sonic is a whore.

The next DLC is going to have Link in Lost Worlds.

DinoRex wrote: »
    The next DLC is going to have Link in Lost Worlds.

Making it the first time Link has been in a **** game since the third CDi game :)

I want that Luigi Diorama... stupid Stars Catalogue site is taking a hammering though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

well its official sonic is now dead to me

• Advertisement

Welcome to 1996 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You finally played Sonic '06?

Achilles wrote: »
    You finally played Sonic '06?

ive a love/hate relatioship with 06

but seeing sonic go through tunnels made me sick

Master of the Universe

but seeing sonic go through tunnels made me sick

Prepare to spew.

sonic1-proto-sbodd1.gif

:pac:

ive a love/hate relatioship with 06

After seeing the "James & Mike Play..." video about Sonic 06, it beggars belief how anyone would consider that 'game' as anything other than a disaster. It looks truly, truly, dreadful

Myrddin wrote: »
    After seeing the "James & Mike Play..." video about Sonic 06, it beggars belief how anyone would consider that 'game' as anything other than a disaster. It looks truly, truly, dreadful

As a lifelong Sonic fan - it is awful. The amount of times I went THROUGH the tunnel in the first level was mind boggling.

I gave up after the boss fight with silver. You just keep getting trapped by his "It's No Use" power.

**** that game.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I'm an advocate of 'each to their own', but to say you enjoy Sonic 06 is really pushing the limits of credibility. The mechanics & design look completely broken

As someone who enjoyed the Sonic Adventure games and sort of had time for Sonic Heroes up to a point, Sonic 06 is atrocious and is simply a broken horrible non-game.

Cashed in my stars!

74v5i5N.png

• Advertisement

Prepare to spew.

sonic1-proto-sbodd1.gif

:pac:

that aint no tunnel

that aint no tunnel

What?

s1-ghz-act1img4full.png

Master of the Universe

that aint no tunnel

Sonic loves tunnels and tubes

Sonic-Tube.jpg

Sonic loves tunnels and tubes

Sonic-Tube.jpg

IT'S NO USE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

do need i need the expansion pak to play majora mask?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    do need i need the expansion pak to play majora mask?

Yep, you do.

New Sonic 1 dlc...

285118.jpeg

Found these when looking for some 8 / 16bit sounds to use in my bartop.

Using some of these for logon / logoff sounds:

NES Remix is a lot of fun. It's like a warioware game except with just old nes games messed around with and little mini challenges. I love it anyway!

How much is it?
    I'm tempted to get Sonic Lost Woods now, just to see how wrong it is to play through Mario levels with him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement