Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Would it be possible to play DVDs on the WiiU I wonder, via a homebrew app? That would be cool.

The WiiU drive doesn't have the same calls in the firmware for reading DVDs that the Wii did. That was a byproduct of them using a drive that was originally designed for use in PCs with a modified firmware.

Those hardware level calls don't exist on the WiiU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have a Rogue Legacy problem :'(. Somebody make me stop playing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about the WiiU being cracked. Firstly it will definitely destroy the WiiU market. Third parties are very coy about releasing games on the system, this would totally kill it like it did on the DS and the WiiU is only just over a year old.

On the other hand, screw nintendo for region locking it. If it wasn't region locked there's be no reason to hack it. It's worse for the 3DS.

I'd like to see the guys return to their work but at a much later date after the WiiU is no longer a viable console.

What's their reasoning behind region locking their consoles? The region lock on the 3DS is getting more and more frustrating when you see the games that even the US get that we don't. Europe constantly gets screwed or has to wait and wait for the games to be released here.
    The Vita is region free, so why can' t the 3DS be likewise?
    Does different game age ratings have any impact?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rogue Legacy is brilliant, only started it playing it the other day and could have gone on for hours. Definitely one of the finest impulse Steam Sale purchases I've had in a while.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any sign of it coming to Xbla or PSN?
    Not really signed up to be a PC Gaming Overlord.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What's their reasoning behind region locking their consoles? The region lock on the 3DS is getting more and more frustrating when you see the games that even the US get that we don't. Europe constantly gets screwed or has to wait and wait for the games to be released here.
    The Vita is region free, so why can' t the 3DS be likewise?
    Does different game age ratings have any impact?

Nintendo's reasoning is to protect the kiddies from different age rating and from foreign games that might damaged their little minds when they see colour spelled the wrong way or demonic Kanji.

Nintendo's real reason is market control.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Any sign of it coming to Xbla or PSN?
    Not really signed up to be a PC Gaming Overlord.

I'm a Mac owner - you have no excuse :pac:

Nintendo's reasoning is to protect the kiddies from different age rating and from foreign games that might damaged their little minds when they see colour spelled the wrong way or demonic Kanji.

Nintendo's real reason is market control.

Pity as it's pure balls!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sure the region protection can be deactivated in a firmware update, maybe the fact that the two competitors are region free will spur on Ninty to do the same .
    Or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm a Mac owner - you have no excuse :pac:

How do you know if someone uses Apple hardware...? :P

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    How do you know if someone uses Apple hardware...? :P

553_hipster-trends-we-hate-flash.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm sure the region protection can be deactivated in a firmware update, maybe the fact that the two competitors are region free will spur on Ninty to do the same .
    Or not.

Yeah it could easily be done, it's only a minor check in the authentication process. Give the console a universal region, or disable the check altogether would do it. Hardware should always be region free, & let the games themselves be region specific if needs be, ala 360/PS3

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Quick question I know a few of you guys have these , thinking about getting the zelda 3ds xl for my birthday off my wife. Just wondering does the xl hurt your hands playing it like the normal one ? Also can you transfer over your profile from a normal 3ds? Cheers

keithgeo wrote: »
    Quick question I know a few of you guys have these , thinking about getting the zelda 3ds xl for my birthday off my wife. Just wondering does the xl hurt your hands playing it like the normal one ? Also can you transfer over your profile from a normal 3ds? Cheers

I done the transfer last night, from launch model 3DS to Zelda XL...very handy & hassle free. Everything gets transferred over, even the Ambassador Token :)

As for comfort, it's much much better imo. You'll never go back to using a 3DS after the XL, guaranteed :)

Thanks, my birthday isn't until March but I'm worried the zelda one won't be available then so think I'll get her to grab it now.

Damn, my birthday is in two weeks or so and my wife had brought up the subject of the PS4 again.
    I don't think so though and I'd reckon I'd prefer a 3ds xl or a 2ds instead.

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    As for comfort, it's much much better imo. You'll never go back to using a 3DS after the XL, guaranteed :)

Does the standard 3DS feck up your baby fingers? Mine always end up either cramped or suffering from pins and needles after long stints. Might dig out the circle pad pro yolk just to make it a bit easier to hold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

keithgeo wrote: »

I was looking at that 3DS in GameStop recently and, assuming that you don't have a Wii U, would the Zelda themed Wii U not tempt you more? I'm in a similar position and am currently leaning toward the Zelda Wii U as it seems to interest me more than an Xbone or PS4 for the moment...

I was looking at that 3DS in GameStop recently and, assuming that you don't have a Wii U, would the Zelda themed Wii U not tempt you more? I'm in a similar position and am currently leaning toward the Zelda Wii U as it seems to interest me more than an Xbone or PS4 for the moment...

Is it me or are themed consoles not as desirable as themed handhelds?
    If I had my way I'd have a few 3DS handhelds.
    Didn't someone here win one of those limited (genuinely) peach 3DS?

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is it me or are themed consoles not as desirable as themed handhelds?
    If I had my way I'd have a few 3DS handhelds.
    Didn't someone here win one of those limited (genuinely) peach 3DS?

Yeh thats me, the wife is using it against my better judgement haha I wanted to keep it in the box. I've the normal zelda 3ds but my hands do be in bits playing it, so going to get the xl one.

I'd like the Wii u over a ps4 or Xbox to be honest, ill probably pick it up eventually, but it wouldn't be a birthday present for me, I'd say everyone in the family would be interested in getting that one.

I'm still raging I didn't get the pre order edition of zelda from game with the treasure chest. Looks cool and is going for a fortune on ebay now.

• Advertisement

I don't think so though and I'd reckon I'd prefer a 3ds xl or a 2ds instead.

I think you'd be mad to get a 2DS before owning a 3DS XL

I know, the XL is lovely.
    My son is using the 3ds a lot and I need a way for him to have ready access to the games while leaving one to little old me.
    And PC world had them on sale a few months ago for 160!
    Bugger
    Might see.
    The PS4 can wait.

Just saw this, looks like a great horror game, and for the Speccy too!
    For some reason they removed the audio track, but it's there!

I winder if there's a way to run it on my phone... sacrilege I know.
    I'd have to get a flash cart or something fro the Speccy to play it on the real hardware.
    Maybe this year, in between buying PS4's, Xbox Ones, 3DS:XL's and 2DS's !!!

Nice, just installed Marvin, a free Spectrum emu for Android and used the built in World of Spectrum browser to get the PD file of the above game, and it runs like a dream with the Kempston interface working on the touch screen.
    The game is pretty nice, and a good bit better than much of the app store fare I'm used to.
    Marvin the Spectrum emu, with a built in browser for games

Was playing some more Sonic Lost World last night after downloading Yoshi's Island Zone.

I have to say I'm liking the game more and more. Once you get used to the new gameplay mechanics it's actually not a bad game.

Achilles wrote: »
    Was playing some more Sonic Lost World last night after downloading Yoshi's Island Zone.

I have to say I'm liking the game more and more. Once you get used to the new gameplay mechanics it's actually not a bad game.

You're a sick and twisted individual.
    That poster is going to your head.
    You and Richie should get a room! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

44408206.jpg

Gamestop sale isn't too bad at the moment. It would be better if I handn't picked up so much during the year. Got Killer is Dead and God of War Ascension for 30. Most Vita games are 3 for 20 or 10 on their own as well. Got Little Kings Story, Lumines and Sega Racing Transformed in that deal. Gravity Rush is a tenner or 3 for 20 and if you've not picked it up do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

You're a sick and twisted individual.
    That poster is going to your head.

and call it green hill zone :L

Richy: "No Achilles, it's my turn to wear the Super Sonic Costume, you can be Amy Rose this time"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

2951170-6097729001-shado.jpg

Super Sonic..pfft

Shadow ftw :L

Shadow_26.png

equals

Poochie.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Ok, perhaps I was a little bored :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Steve SI wrote: »

Highlander ! There can be only one

3DO FTW!
    I'll take R&T presents The Need for Speed ahead of Need for Speed: Rivals any day.

2951170-6097729001-shado.jpg

Super Sonic..pfft

Shadow ftw :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Gamestop sale isn't too bad at the moment. It would be better if I handn't picked up so much during the year. Got Killer is Dead and God of War Ascension for 30. Most Vita games are 3 for 20 or 10 on their own as well. Got Little Kings Story, Lumines and Sega Racing Transformed in that deal. Gravity Rush is a tenner or 3 for 20 and if you've not picked it up do so.

I picked up Beyond 2 Souls there yesterday. It's really bad. It's like heavy rain but somehow they managed to have about 80% less gameplay.

It's so terribly written that there are lots of laughs to be had though, so it was worth it for that.

A second player can control the ghost and that means I have to spend most of my time shouting at them to get back inside Ellen Paige so I can get back control and continue the story.

Also: Love hearing the name 'Aiden' repeatedly and nauseatingly mispronounced? Well then, this is the game for you!

Master of the Universe

Anyone else still use the old boards.ie skin? :pac:

sega_zps7b31a9b7.jpg

DinoRex wrote: »
    I picked up Beyond 2 Souls there yesterday. It's really bad. It's like heavy rain but somehow they managed to have about 80% less gameplay.

It's so terribly written that there are lots of laughs to be had though, so it was worth it for that.

A second player can control the ghost and that means I have to spend most of my time shouting at them to get back inside Ellen Paige so I can get back control and continue the story.

Also: Love hearing the name 'Aiden' repeatedly and nauseatingly mispronounced? Well then, this is the game for you!

Awesome, I got it for a rock bottom price with playasia. Sounds like a play and laugh at it with sera game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

David Cage in a 'he can't write for s**t' shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve SI wrote: »

Pure filth!

I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Getting a error message when trying to play DDR on the PS1. It's an NTSC-j version but my PS1 is modded so should have no problems playing it as it plays all my other japanese games and backups. Anyone know what it could be? I've tried different memory cards and controller combinations but it just throws up this error. Could it still be region locked or something?

c4767b30c7b4ccd134478ff0dcca041a_zps96de14a3.jpg

Isn't one of those discs an expansion pack to the previous DDR game. I think you need the previous game to make it work or something. You have to swap discs like with MGS special missions.

Master of the Universe

I'd say it's more to do with the dance mat being broken or some hardware fault. Looks more along the lines of 'dance mat cannot be detected' rather than a region issue warning. (doesn't the PS1 just default to an audio cd if it's the wrong region?)

No it's the original DDR game so should work on its own, but I'll double check. and the dance mat works fine as I've tested it with another game.

I recognise that, it's a mission pack disk alright.
    Did you try it with a regular controller, they work as well as the mat, just to be sure.
    If you plug the mat in it'll operate as a digital controller, that'll let you know that's working fine too.

Master of the Universe

Maybe your PS1 has just had enough with playing Jpop? :pac:

Yeah I've tried using just the regular controller and same issue. The dance mat works fine with euro mix. This is the game I have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution_(1998_video_game)

I think you might be on to something o1s1n...

If you google 'Dance dance revolution ps1 error', a picture of that screen pops up with posters on a forum discussing some sort of modchip error on some ps1 games (DDR, Dino Crisis etc...). I'd link but think it contains links to some dumps!

Ah, that's exactly what it is. Thanks mr ultimate! So it detects the modchip and won't play. Feck :( I'll have to see if I can obtain a copy without the protection in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone else still use the old boards.ie skin? :pac:

sega_zps7b31a9b7.jpg

Yep. Still a proud user of 'brown'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement