Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, that's exactly what it is. Thanks mr ultimate! So it detects the modchip and won't play. Feck :( I'll have to see if I can obtain a copy without the protection in it.

Or just "obtain a copy" patched or something....

What was that, went all dizzy there, could have said anything really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Ah, that's exactly what it is. Thanks mr ultimate! So it detects the modchip and won't play. Feck :( I'll have to see if I can obtain a copy without the protection in it.

What type of PS1 is it, & do you know what chip is in it? Some chips have a 'stealth' mode that the games can't detect apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    What type of PS1 is it, & do you know what chip is in it? Some chips have a 'stealth' mode that the games can't detect apparently

It's a SCPH-9000 series PS1 so one of the later ones. Haven't a clue what chip is in it as I got it for free off some guy. I don't really want to open it up either In case I damage a wire or something as I don't know how well it was installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You could try the old swap boot method. Use something to hold the CD door button open and then wait for the PS1 to read the boot sector off of another disc.

When it spins down the first time quickly swap the discs.

Not sure if this would bypass the chip detection but it's worth a shot!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A bit pointless when you've gone to the trouble of chipping your PS in order to avoid all the tedious messing around with hyperspace disc swapping

I might give it a go and see what happens. I'll try it on a non modded one though. I also tried using an action replay as apparently that can work but to no avail. It loads the game but just hangs on the intro screen.

I'm more interested on how to get this working now rather than playing ddr :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's a SCPH-9000 series PS1 so one of the later ones. Haven't a clue what chip is in it as I got it for free off some guy. I don't really want to open it up either In case I damage a wire or something as I don't know how well it was installed.

The stealth mode wiring usually involved soldering another wire or two, & is optional. It's likely the installer just went with the basic install

So the swap trick does make it work but, it's in black and white and bad interference happening so not really playable.

I tried the swap trick on the wife once, but her sister boxed me in the jaw....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

So the swap trick does make it work but, it's in black and white and bad interference happening so not really playable.

No RGB cable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    No RGB cable?

For shame atavan, for shame.

Get thee to a nunnery.

I uh... Misplaced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I uh... Misplaced it.

Yeah, sure you did:rolleyes:

Now now, leave Atavan alone, he's gone through a lot this year, changing his posting habits, perfecting the Twerk, being The Boss at Beers DDR.
    If he says his RGB cable is "somewhere" lets give him the benefit of the doubt, even if it is currently sitting in a warehouse in Hong Kong, awaiting a hasty dispatch to Dundrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I uh... Misplaced it.

So you're trying to play a 60hz disc on a 50hz only PAL TV - thems the results you get in that scenario.

Your PS1 is grand, just RGB the yolk for colour!!! :pac:

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Now now, leave Atavan alone, he's gone through a lot this year, changing his posting habits, perfecting the Twerk, being The Boss at Beers DDR.

New yr new me Hun xoxoxo.

Actually this is the first New Years I'm not out or doing anything. Instead been alternating between playing GT6 and watching crap tv, and it's kinda nice!

Happy new year y'all! First post of 2014!

2014! Feck, here we are in the future!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    2014! Feck, here we are in the future!

Only 1 more year until hoverboards, ancient almanacs and time travelling deloreans!!

Only 1 more year until hoverboards, ancient almanacs and time travelling deloreans!!

I'd want something more reliable than a DeLorean, remembering that it kept breaking down.
    Maybe a time traveling Lotus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'd be happy with just the pizza hydrator

I'm still unclear how that thing works.
    Very cool though.
    I look forward to seeing them in the Argos catalogue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

It's those cool double ties coming into fashion that I'm most looking forward to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I missed my drunken atavan call last night :'(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I missed my drunken atavan call last night :'(

I wasn't drinking last night :( but I sent sera a text

Don't worry, I'll ring you next year!

DinoRex wrote: »
    It's those cool double ties coming into fashion that I'm most looking forward to.

And who knew we'd still all be using faxes in the future, and be getting fired by Asian stereotypes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Right I'm going off to London fairly soon and just going through a list of what I want to do and see.

So obviously I need to get some retro goodness when I'm there. I already looked up Retro Game Base but has anyone got any other tips where I should take a look, any of the markets have some good sellers or anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This year finally looking like exactly why I purchased a wii u on launch.

Bayonetta 2
    Mario Kart 8
    Smash Bros
    Donkey Kong

and still yet to pick up wonderful 101 , sonic lost world which at this stage I still might skip and Super Mario 3d world

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

This year finally looking like exactly why I purchased a wii u on launch.

Bayonetta 2
    Mario Kart 8
    Smash Bros
    Donkey Kong

and still yet to pick up wonderful 101 , sonic lost world which at this stage I still might skip and Super Mario 3d world

You bought the Wii U at launch to play games coming out over a year later? Surely the above weren't promised launch titles? :confused:

Can't believe the Wii U is out since Nov 2012 actually, almost feels like a last gen machine it's had such little impact (imo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I wasn't drinking last night :( but I sent sera a text

Don't worry, I'll ring you next year!
    Other than Retr0's mam, Ciderman, my aunt and my cousin, I got no other texts! I was surprised so was delighted to get it. Thanks Hobbit kun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Apparently the Wii U outsold the Xbox one the week before Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

DinoRex wrote: »
    Apparently the Wii U outsold the Xbox one the week before Xmas.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Atari Jaguar outsold the Xbone this Christmas.

Achilles wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Atari Jaguar outsold the Xbone this Christmas.

Now now, don't be mean!

Anybody played any of the Zelda: ALTTP clones?

I'm about 3 hours into Zelda Parallel Worlds on my SNES emulator on my android tablet. It's very VERY fun to be playing an entirely new 16bit Zelda Adventure, new maps, storylines, etc, but the difficulty is taking the fun out of it somewhat. I'm playing the remodeled version, which is less difficult than the original clone, and i'm still dying WAY too frequently and relying on save states a bit. There are cheap and plentiful enemies everywhere, no map or compass in ANY of the dungeons, and not even a sword to defend yourself with for most of the early part of the game (including much of the first dungeon).

I'm in two minds whether to go back to it or not. Has anyone any recommendations for other good zelda clones that aren't as unforgiving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Another fascinating presentation

So much is possible with the wiiu gamepad so lets hope this is successful.

Boulder Dash on Gamepad ftw :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

5612c85589f2ca21133f344e38b0f43a.jpg

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Another fascinating presentation

So much is possible with the wiiu gamepad so lets hope this is successful.

Boulder Dash on Gamepad ftw :pac:

One good 30c3 video deserves another,

Some shocking revalations about Big Brother in this:

For anyone looking to pick up some marvel games, you might want to do so soon.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/01/deadpool-has-disappeared-from-steam-xbox-live-and-psn.aspx

Another reason why physical copies > digital copies. Not that most of ye need convincing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

waveform wrote: »
    5612c85589f2ca21133f344e38b0f43a.jpg

good , mario sucks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

If anyone's interested I'm doing a livestream with guru larry and Ashens and most of the other retrounlim lads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmxSxjkRoE

<3 ashens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I received a PSP over christmas. I've had a hacked one here for a good while, but the door on it was fecked, so I couldn't play any physical copies. Because of that, I didn't show the console as much love as I would with others. I did, however, play Corpse Party on it, and I absolutely loved it! I know that it's available on PSN, but I was wondering can you get a hard copy of this game? I'd love to have it in my collection.

It never got a physical release here. There is a sequel as well that is available on PSN. It might have gotten a Japanese physical release. It was a doujin game on japanese home computers so you could look for a physical copy on them but good luck finding one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It never got a physical release here. There is a sequel as well that is available on PSN. It might have gotten a Japanese physical release. It was a doujin game on japanese home computers so you could look for a physical copy on them but good luck finding one.

Ah, that's disappointing. I might end up downloading it properly from PSN then, just for the sake of it. Cracking game. It's a real shame that we don't have a disc release.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    If anyone's interested I'm doing a livestream with guru larry and Ashens and most of the other retrounlim lads.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmxSxjkRoE

Balls, would like to have seen that!

Do you have a facebook page for your show bob?

Would have been nice to have caught that in my news feed.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

waveform wrote: »
    Balls, would like to have seen that!

Do you have a facebook page for your show bob?

Would have been nice to have caught that in my news feed.
    hmm might need to start tweeting it before it starts..its here anyway
    www.retrounlim.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

I just launched my personal blog tonight, if anyone fancies being bored to death. Well, it launched 9 months ago but tonight is the first time I've had more than 5 minutes to actually set it up!

Thanks in advance to anyone brave enough to want to click the link below.

:)

http://www.iancortina.co.uk

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    I just launched my personal blog tonight, if anyone fancies being bored to death. Well, it launched 9 months ago but tonight is the first time I've had more than 5 minutes to actually set it up!

Thanks in advance to anyone brave enough to want to click the link below.

:)

http://www.iancortina.co.uk

Will have a butchers after the brilliant Dave Allen is over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Will have a butchers after the brilliant Dave Allen is over. :)

Dave Allen was awesome back in the day. I thought he was dead! Glad to hear he's still wearing his clogs.

I'll be watching Rush shortly. Missed it at the cinema so settling for 1080p instead...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement