Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

STG.Otaku wrote: »
    Dave Allen was awesome back in the day. I thought he was dead! Glad to hear he's still wearing his clogs.

I'll be watching Rush shortly. Missed it at the cinema so settling for 1080p instead...

He is dead died in 2005

Rush is brilliant and 2nd only to Senna as my favorite F1 film ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rush was great, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, that and Captain Philips were the two surprises this year.
    Went to see Anchorman 2 last night and really enjoyed it, it felt like a series of comedy sketches but was a lot of fun.
    Saw the trailer for Captain America Winter Soldier on the big screen too, looks the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just back from American hustle it's not great or even very good. Now that's 3 in a row so-so films. Hopefully Wolf of Wall Street and 12 Years a Slave turn the tide. And maybe that Robert Redfern flick as well if it comes down to the countryside.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sparks43 wrote: »
    He is dead died in 2005

Rush is brilliant and 2nd only to Senna as my favorite F1 film ever.

Daniel Bruhl is excellent as Lauda, great film. Love this sound bite from Hunt. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That is pure genius

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought Rush was a merely decent effort. An interesting tale (liberally told, but we'll allow that because biopics are typically more engaging with a bit of dramatic license), but Ron Howard is simply a bland, by the numbers director. Rush is even one of his more visually accomplished and well acted efforts (Daniel Bruhl's somewhat wacky accent aside), but he just lacks that unique touch, that remarkable craftsmanship that I'd tend to associate with a truly great director. It's the kind of solidly unambitious film that passes the time with some well handled moments, but is fairly forgettable overall, and received plaudits that overstated its actual quality (all IMO of course).

I thought Rush was a merely decent effort. An interesting tale (liberally told, but we'll allow that because biopics are typically more engaging with a bit of dramatic license), but Ron Howard is simply a bland, by the numbers director. Rush is even one of his more visually accomplished and well acted efforts (Daniel Bruhl's somewhat wacky accent aside), but he just lacks that unique touch, that remarkable craftsmanship that I'd tend to associate with a truly great director. It's the kind of solidly unambitious film that passes the time with some well handled moments, but is fairly forgettable overall, and received plaudits that overstated its actual quality (all IMO of course).

I thought it was a good take on the rivalry between the two, but maybe I was able to get more from the film because I'm a fan of F1. Bruhl's accent was very good I thought - I presume you've heard Niki Lauda speak for real? Lauda himself said he did a great job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not at all familiar with the people involved IRL so maybe it is a dead on accent - just seemed a strange Dutch / German hybrid to me :pac: Good performance all in all though.

Not a bad film, I must stress, but not a great one either. Simply couldn't see where the superlatives being applied to it were coming from - there was a lengthy debate on the film forum where some were declaring it one of the greatest films of the decade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Rush was great!

Neither myself or or the missus are F1 fans, but both of us were on the edge of our seat for the whole thing.

Really enjoyed that film. Must give it a rewatch sometime.

Soooo....looks like a load of posts have been lost since the restore. Ah well, nothing important is said around here anyway. :P

• Advertisement

The only big loss was Ciderman finally admitting to his multi year trolling attempt, and revealing that he was actually the world champion Streets of Rage player as verified by Twin Galaxies. He also offered us all a year's supply of hot sauce from his hot sauce company as an apology.

All for the best, really. The hot sauce is a bit crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

5MjTzbT.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The only big loss was Ciderman finally admitting to his multi year trolling attempt, and revealing that he was actually the world champion Streets of Rage player as verified by Twin Galaxies. He also offered us all a year's supply of hot sauce from his hot sauce company as an apology.

All for the best, really. The hot sauce is a bit crap.

The what now?
    Honestly, I really don't like SoR!
    You been at the dried frog pills again Mr Ultimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Achilles wrote: »
    5MjTzbT.png

new_Llol.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anybody have any running scores on what consoles launched with a respectable line-up of software?

So far I've got the Dreamcast, which, amongst the usual launch-shovel/proto-ware, had 3 system-definers in Sonic Adventure, Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur.

Everything else seems to launch with 1 decent-to-brilliant game (a pattern that's dwindling) and a spate of tech-demos.

The original Xbox had a good line up, Halo, Project Gotham, Amped, I know Halo has its critics, especially here, but the other two are/were best in class on release.
    The PS was decent too, Wipeout, Ridge Racer and Loaded.
    The N64 launched with several classics Mario 64 and Pilotwings, we won't mention Shadow of the Empire though I enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GBA was pretty good as well.

Dreamcast had a terrible launch in Japan.

Dreamcast had a terrible launch in Japan.

Hush now don't be silly, DC Master Race. :-)

Achilles wrote: »
    Hush now don't be silly, DC Master Race. :-)

No, he is surprisingly correct for once ;)
    I bought one at launch, imported fresh from Japan and for my trouble and expense I got the quite good Virtua Fighter 3 and that was it.
    The not so good were Incoming, which was a tech demo for a PC graphics card previously, and Pen Pen TriIcelon, and that was a bizarre racing game featuring swimming, sliding and running, tried convince myself it was great.... It wasn't :(
    But they seem like Dark Souls compared to the utter cow muck represented by Godzilla.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, he is surprisingly correct for once ;)
    I bought one at launch, imported fresh from Japan and for my trouble and expense I got the quite good Virtua Fighter 3 and that was it.
    The not so good were Incoming, which was a tech demo for a PC graphics card previously, and Pen Pen TriIcelon, and that was a bizarre racing game featuring swimming, sliding and running, tried convince myself it was great.... It wasn't :(
    But they seem like Dark Souls compared to the utter cow muck represented by Godzilla.

*plugs ears with fingers*

NO... LIES... SEGA NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG. DREAMCAST DREAMCAST...

The original Xbox had a good line up, Halo, Project Gotham, Amped, I know Halo has its critics, especially here, but the other two are/were best in class on release....

Halo is too mainstream to get much love around these parts, but it was genuinely groundbreaking at the time it came out, at least for console shooters. It had a huge effect on all that came after it and sold a huge amount of consoles. That's got to put it well up there in terms of launch titles.

I liked the SNES release lineup. The European 1992 release had super Mario World and F-Zero, and The Legend of Zelda LTTP and Street Fighter 2 were released within a few months, in time for the Christmas rush.

Master of the Universe

Halo is too mainstream to get much love around these parts, but it was genuinely groundbreaking at the time it came out, at least for console shooters. It had a huge effect on all that came after it and sold a huge amount of consoles. That's got to put it well up there in terms of launch titles.

It's not so much that it's 'too mainstream' (sure isn't Mario the grandaddy of videogame mainstream and look at the love he gets) it's just that some of us find it to be a horribly bland, generic space marine shooter - one which gets far too much credit. I even found it bland the first time around, so it's not me applying modern FPS values onto older games.
    I liked the SNES release lineup. The European 1992 release had super Mario World and F-Zero, and The Legend of Zelda LTTP and Street Fighter 2 were released within a few months, in time for the Christmas rush.

You really can't beat that for a lineup can you? :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's not so much that it's 'too mainstream'...it's just that some of us find it to be a horribly bland, generic space marine shooter - one which gets far too much credit. I even found it bland the first time around, so it's not me applying modern FPS values onto older games

I can see how you'd feel that way about it alright. It hasn't aged too badly, but i can definitely see the "generic space marine" thing now. I guess because i was never a PC gamer, i didn't really have much previous experience of FPS gaming when halo came out but once i played it it pretty much became the bar for other FPS games to try to reach, and by the time any worthy console FPS successor came around (COD4MW to my mind) i was 3 games into the series, on the next console, and hooked on Halo 3 multiplayer, campaign, and forge.

By the way, i do think that COD and Halo both stopped innovating after that point, and essentially started to increasingly become clones of themselves, but i genuinely think they were fresh and innovative up till then. Maybe i just wasn't playing enough games back then, I'm sure there were space marine shooters, but i can't think of any FPS ones before Halo or Gears of War, at least not on consoles.

The race to produce easily digestible slop as videogames is what breaks my heart with these big releases, CoD, BF, Knack, God of War, Gears of War, Killzone, Ratchet and Daxter, they all play like any moron could drool his way through them, with one hand on the controller and the other alternating between the contents of a bag of cheese puffs, the X/A button and the contents of his underpants.
    Instead we look to auteurs like Suda, Indie devs and developers for the big boys but with enough clout to set the agenda rather than follow a committee, like Rockstar or the Dark Souls peeps.
    The benefit of retro gaming is the luxury of cherry picking the good, odd and the revolutionary from the entire history of the last 40 years of gaming, so pity the fool who has sold everything to play a modern launch lineup.

The race to produce easily digestible slop as videogames is what breaks my heart with these big releases, CoD, BF, Knack, God of War, Gears of War, Killzone, Ratchet and Daxter, they all play like any moron could drool his way through them, with one hand on the controller and the other alternating between the contents of a bag of cheese puffs, the X/A button and the contents of his underpants.
    Instead we look to auteurs like Suda, Indie devs and developers for the big boys but with enough clout to set the agenda rather than follow a committee, like Rockstar or the Dark Souls peeps.
    The benefit of retro gaming is the luxury of cherry picking the good, odd and the revolutionary from the entire history of the last 40 years of gaming, so pity the fool who has sold everything to play a modern launch lineup.

That's a bit harsh imo. Gears of War was great fun when it first came out, especially the online multiplayer. Not every game has to be a work of 'art' or tax the brain with crazy new gameplay mechanics. There's still huge variety and quality out there today from developers of all sizes.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I found Gears of War to be a an almost on rails shooter, pushing forward with the trigger button pressed.
    At least Bulletstorm is a bit more honest, a push through great scenery with OTT weapons and an interesting selection of bad language involving the word dick, a lot.
    But that's not to say others didn't have a ball with it.
    Yes, we all need lightweight material to balance the heavy stuff.
    Its just there's a ton of games that are built by committee, as a result of the interesting stuff in GoW we got a mountain of awful tripe with roady runs and cover shooting. For every Vanquish there were Inversions, Fracture and Dark Void.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo definitely is far from a bad game but the way some people go on about it *cough* Edge *cough* you'd swear the genre didn't exist before it.

As a launch title it was perfect. It really showed off the power of the XBox over the other two consoles and was great fun until you got to the rushed parts towards the end. I can safely say that if it wasn't for Halo Microsoft would not be making consoles anymore. Nobody was taking any notice of the XBox until Halo surprised everyone (and made Mac users cry). The fun multiplayer and co-op mode were surprisingly generous for a launch title and system linking systems gave XBox owners something to do during the massive drought in games during the consoles first year and probably made a lot of people more excited for XBox Live than they would have been.

Halo definitely is far from a bad game but the way some people go on about it *cough* Edge *cough* you'd swear the genre didn't exist before it.

As a launch title it was perfect. It really showed off the power of the XBox over the other two consoles and was great fun until you got to the rushed parts towards the end. I can safely say that if it wasn't for Halo Microsoft would not be making consoles anymore. Nobody was taking any notice of the XBox until Halo surprised everyone (and made Mac users cry). The fun multiplayer and co-op mode were surprisingly generous for a launch title and system linking systems gave XBox owners something to do during the massive drought in games during the consoles first year and probably made a lot of people more excited for XBox Live than they would have been.

Oh, I remember that, Halo was supposed to be a Mac game, they were not a bunch of happy campers :)
    MS made a little go a long way with the Xbox, given all the custom gubbins in the GC and PS2 the Xbox was a bloody PC, and an underpowered one at that, but it had... synergy it seemed and it gave us some lovely lovely games, Jet Set Radio Future being an absolute cracker and, to say again, Amped being the best snowboarding game since 1080 and lightyears ahead of the SSX stuff that launched with the PS2.
    Also remember that MS gave something back, I got two games and a controller as an apology for the sudden price drop not long after launch, we all did who bought in at launch time, so that was nice of them, given previous form would have been to say "tough" and move on.

The XBox was a bit of a monster compared to the PS2 and Gamecube. It out did them for CPU performance, RAM and using the Hard Disk for streaming and the GPU was quite advanced with advanced features like pixel shaders. The PS2 only really had the eDRam that gave it a advantage in the amount of transparencies it could display. The GC had a custom GPU with nice effects like fur shaders. Neither could match the raw power of the XBox. It might have been a poor PC but since it was a stable platform devs could get a lot more out of it.

And I love them all!
    All the petty "my *insert console name here* is better than your *insert console name here*" crap long forgotten now, seeing as for small money you can own the lot and plenty of things worth playing on them, for the price of one of the next gen consoles.
    The lesson, forget the "early adopter" nonsense, be a "Late Adopter" instead!
    Rather than running out and buying the PS4 or Xbox One, don't pick it up until roughly 2024! You'll have a massive back catalogue of games to play and the machines will cost peanuts!

• Advertisement

I'd agree with your assessment of it, the re-used sections towards the end and the god-damned library level sullied it.

I'd be interested to hear what you guys (discerning experienced gamers) thought of Halo 3. I really think that was a high water mark in both the series and the last generation of gaming as a whole, even if it came in early in the proceedings and started to show its age midway through the life of the console.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, granted, but the amount of value in that package between the various modes and all the expansion DLC was staggering and the fun factor in the multiplayer was huge if you played with any kind of a co-ordinated team.

I much preferred Reach to Halo 3 but 3 was pretty good. Single player was fun even if the story was utter ****. The only thing that mars it is the final flood level. Multiplayer what I played was good fun but Forge gets way too much credit for what it is, a very basic level editor, there were better examples in previous games like Farcry Instincts.

It was a big improvement over the very poor single player of Halo 2.

I really enjoyed Reach, and ODST as it happens, aside from the smooth jazz soundtrack :(
    But then the Halo games for me were just part of a continuum of good games from a decent gaming era, the 360, Wii and PS3 picking up ably where the previous gen had left off.
    Lets hope the new gen have a similarly creative and interesting gaming future ahead of them.
    So far the 3DS seems to be winning!
    So, time for a Dark Souls 3DS edition kickstarter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I much preferred Reach to Halo 3 but 3 was pretty good. Single player was fun even if the story was utter ****. The only thing that mars it is the final flood level. Multiplayer what I played was good fun but Forge gets way too much credit for what it is, a very basic level editor, there were better examples in previous games like Farcry Instincts.

It was a big improvement over the very poor single player of Halo 2.
    Still waiting for a PC release of the 360 games...and a Steam release of the first two.

I liked reach too, the story was very good by halo standards. ODST was good in the daylight flashback sections but the stealthy detective parts I found silly. I eventually figured out I was trying to be stealthy with the same old halo 3 run and gun cannon fodder AI, and i just charged them instead.

Playing Halo 4 felt about as good as watching Indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. It's a by the numbers cash in exercise tacked on to a respectable trilogy, but it had some good moments in single and multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I liked reach too, the story was very good by halo standards. ODST was good in the daylight flashback sections but the stealthy detective parts I found silly. I eventually figured out I was trying to be stealthy with the same old halo 3 run and gun cannon fodder AI, and i just charged them instead.

Playing Halo 4 felt about as good as watching Indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull. It's a by the numbers cash in exercise tacked on to a respectable trilogy, but it had some good moments in single and multiplayer.
    I guess that makes Halo 2 Vista the Temple of Doom of the series. People seem to like it, but no one really should.

I just want Halo 2 on Steam, sans GFWL. Maybe then, it'll be Last Crusade level.

Quick question, anyone know where I can pick up a 3DSXL for a decent price?
    Not retro I know but I've been calling around and the prices are fairly stable at 220/230 a piece and no Pikachu nipples to be had!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not retro I know but I've been calling around and the prices are fairly stable at 220/230 a piece and no Pikachu nipples to be had!

I think PC World had them at a really good price there recently, may be all gone though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Cash converters? I got mine for 130

Gamestop have lovely Animal Crossing ones.

Actually speaking of Gamestop, I've a bit of an issue with them. Their 'New' games that they sell, ya know the opened ones. I got about 7 3DS games out of my local store during the summer and was just recently going to add the Nintendo points but I couldn't as someone had scratched them all off.
    Now I can't find my receipts and the latest purchase would have been the end of August and then I was away and didn't have the cases to notice this.
    I know it's only club points but they were mine and I paid for new games. Should I go back in or email/ring gamestop headquarters?

• Advertisement

Happens to me a lot as well. Every time I get a game with a 30 day trial of live/PS plus it's always been used up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    I think PC World had them at a really good price there recently, may be all gone though?

Yeah they had them for €160 I think. Ring around a few and check as most people wouldn't think of there for games.

If you're looking for The pikachu one, wait a while as it's going for ridiculous money these days.

Happens to me a lot as well. Every time I get a game with a 30 day trial of live/PS plus it's always been used up.

Games opened, points scratched, chigh prices and general ignorance, don't know why I bother with some brick and mortar shops.

I actually shopped in Gamestop for the first time in around two years the other day, only because they had three games I wanted to play under their 3 for 20 sale. The copy of Tomb Raider I got was actually sealed! Still, I felt dirty giving them money even though it was really good value. On the plus side, the guy at the counter didn't seem to actively hate all humans this time - only passively.

Myrddin wrote: »

All gone :(
    Still hunting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I noticed there a while ago that my gamestop-purchased copy of Mario 3D Land has no barcode on the back of the box, because it's a promotional inlay. It's not a big deal as everything else about it is the same... but it is still a big deal...

I noticed there a while ago that my gamestop-purchased copy of Mario 3D Land has no barcode on the back of the box, because it's a promotional inlay. It's not a big deal as everything else about it is the same... but it is still a big deal...

I'd print out the barcode and stick it in there, so they've something to scan, just in case it has to be returned or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Just as a matter of interest, why the XL edition? I got the regular 3DS over xmas, and it's a monster of a machine. I'm really loving it (and the new Pokémon title is fantastic!), but I've always wondered about the fascination with the bigger version. It's absolutely huge, and I reckon it would be impossible to just slip into my pocket on the go. This defeats one of it's main purposes in my eyes.

Master of the Universe

I think most people on this forum use their 3DS in the comfort of their home. I use mine tonnes but never once really use it out and about :)

• Advertisement

The screen is significantly higher quality (some say effectively a generational leap in detail), and many feel the smaller console is uncomfortable for long play periods.

Personally, I'm happy to stick with the smaller version - I mostly use it while commuting so it's just handy to have the more manageable size. I also can't really afford to be investing in multiple versions of consoles at the moment, especially just for a better quality screen (I don't find the small one uncomfortable, Kid Icarus claw aside). That said, if I ever see need to invest in a US or Japanese console (and luckily there haven't been all that many US exclusives yet that haven't made their way here), I'd probably go with the XL.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement