Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deathrider wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, why the XL edition? I got the regular 3DS over xmas, and it's a monster of a machine. I'm really loving it (and the new Pokémon title is fantastic!), but I've always wondered about the fascination with the bigger version. It's absolutely huge, and I reckon it would be impossible to just slip into my pocket on the go. This defeats one of it's main purposes in my eyes.

The 3DS is great and I'm not selling mine, it'll continue on as my sons primary handheld.
    But while I prefer the layered style of the 3DS design it is quite uncomfortable to hold.
    The bigger screen is the major deal though.
    And having seen the local reprobates playing theirs at various A&R Beers I knew I'd have to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Those answers are fair enough. I'd just thought that the world was going mad there for a while. From my current experience with the smaller edition, I definitely can't see myself looking to switch to the XL. I haven't seen the better quality screen, but I reckon the quality on the small one is more than good enough for me. I also do a lot of travelling so it needs to be pocket-sized for me. Don't get me wrong, I play a lot of it at home too, but I'd be lost on bus rides with a pocket console.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's true, but the 3d is a beetch on a bumpy bus ride!
    Better off with a lovely Vita!
    I'm looking forward to getting back into 3ds gaming, its kinda weird but since the Vita came along I've been spending most of my time on it.
    That and, embarrassingly, my phone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Put down the Vita/phone and get back to Chrono Trigger! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »

*cracks whip*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

*cracks whip*
    Oh, just install the PS1 version on your Vita...wait, is it available on the EU PS Store?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh, just install the PS1 version on your Vita...wait, is it available on the EU PS Store?

Whatever you do don't do that. The PS1 version is an absolute travesty of ruined music and ridiculously long load times for everything, even opening and closing the menu. It's another Tose developed disaster like the english versions of the Final Fantasy games.

Everytime you enter a battle, open the menu or change scene the game runs a patcher to inject the english text into the rom which takes ages to load. It's a total joke and really ruins those SNES games. Most of their playability comes down to how fast paced they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

After playing most of the way through Between Words on the XL, which was actually my first time to use the XL... I can honestly say I'll never go back to the regular 3DS. It's getting mothballed & put into storage. It served its purpose, but the XL imo is a massive improvement, & really enhances the 3DS experience.

Screen quality isn't a big deal for me, as the original 3DS screen is more than adequate...it's just too damn small.

I have the proper cart of Chronotrigger for my region free SNES.
    What I'd really like is the Retron 5, plugged into the main TV , so I can keep up with my retro gaming when hiking into the attic is out of the question.
    Please, don't judge me! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Owning an original Chrono Trigger cart and never playing through it should be a punishable offense!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Owning an original Chrono Trigger cart and never playing through it should be a punishable offense!

What about owning a CIB version and never getting past the title screen. :( Although I did get a few minutes into the DS version a while back.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Whatever you do don't do that. The PS1 version is an absolute travesty of ruined music and ridiculously long load times for everything, even opening and closing the menu. It's another Tose developed disaster like the english versions of the Final Fantasy games.

Everytime you enter a battle, open the menu or change scene the game runs a patcher to inject the english text into the rom which takes ages to load. It's a total joke and really ruins those SNES games. Most of their playability comes down to how fast paced they are.
    But I thought Dragoon was your real travesty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But I thought Dragoon was your real travesty.

Dragoon is just out and out awful. It was never good and never will be. The PS1 versions of chrono trigger is like taking Michelangelo's David, cutting his arms and mickey off and then painting on some 'urban' clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Andrew76 wrote: »
    What about owning a CIB version and never getting past the title screen. :( Although I did get a few minutes into the DS version a while back.

What about not even opening the box yet?:o

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, is the DS version any good?

Square enix uncharacteristically went all out with the DS version. It's really good. Very close to the SNES version. They worked very hard tweaking the sound to get it sounding as accurate as possible.

At least that's more readily available.
    But I am proud of my copy of the game.
    I hope to persevere and, if triumphant, I'll move onto Earthbound and Super Mario RPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I wonder does a giant black Knight cleave you in half when you first enter, and it takes you about 20 attempts to order a latte without perishing.
    Going to the bog takes on a whole new meaning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

The undead female merchant serving hot chocolate behind the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The future maybe, but not the be all end all. The likes of Netflix stremaing is great, but it'd never take the place of my collection of films. Likewise, a games streaming service is a really nice feature to have available, but it''d never replace collecting retro PS titles for me.

Now that's cool, pity it's based on older firmware though.

Dragoon is just out and out awful. It was never good and never will be. The PS1 versions of chrono trigger is like taking Michelangelo's David, cutting his arms and mickey off and then painting on some 'urban' clothes.
    So Dragoon is the better option then.

IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD! RETRO FINDS CHRONO TRIGGER PS1 WORSE THEN LEGEND OF DRAGOON!

So Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Whats the best way to play this, wait for the EU release next month or get a copy imported?

Worthwhile getting the DS version aswell?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Erm.. It was released almost a year ago here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Whats the best way to play this, wait for the EU release next month or get a copy imported?

It's 2014 :) EU release date was February 2013. DS version is Japanese so just one to look at on the shelf. I bought it for the book that came with it but never bothered picking up the English PS3 release in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Square enix uncharacteristically went all out with the DS version. It's really good. Very close to the SNES version. They worked very hard tweaking the sound to get it sounding as accurate as possible.

They also have a cool anime sequences from the PS1 game without any of the load times.

DJ+Slowpoke+slowpoke1.gif

IT IS 2014! Well this is what happens when I go online before I have some coffee

Must go pick it up, I didn't see it around anywhere so I took no notice of it. Any differences between region releases?

• Advertisement

The best way to play it is not to. It's an astoundingly pretty game with a wonderful soundtrack but it's also one of the most crushingly dull and mediocre JRPGs out there with a terrible battle system. It seems to do everything wrong. There's much better games out there.

If you think you are missing out on another magnificent studio ghibli story by not playing it then don't worry, they only provided the art design. The story was penned by Level 5's Akihiko Hino who is reknowned for his poor writing in Japan (there was near riots over the Terrible Gundam spin off season he penned it was that bad). The story is pretty naff in this as well, cliche and poorly manipulative.

As for the DS version, I heard it's a lot better. I know some one on HG101 is working on a fan translation but is finding it hard to find a translator after hacking the game. It ended up in bargain bins after flopping so you should get it for a good price. The DS version is a completely different game and all those nonsensical puzzles in the PS3 game make sense with touch controls.

Really? See I've been seeing in on best of year lists everywhere the last few weeks so I was under the assumption that it was a gem that I had overlooked

The only reason I can think of it being on best of the year lists is because of the hype over the graphics and the fact that on the PS3 there's really not any traditional JRPGs so when a mediocre one comes along it gets overly praised. Anyone that reviewed it that I trust as a JRPG reviewer has said it's mundane, I remember an epsiode of retronauts were the guys had a rant about how mediocre it was. If Ni No Kuni was released on the PS1 or 2 it would have completely flown by everyone. In fact it would have done the same if not for the Ghibli connection which isn't much of a connection since they only did some of the art.

It's not a terrible game it's just something you will struggle to finish. I ended up giving up on it after losing interest. With Fire Emblem, DisgaeaD2, Guided Fate Paradox, Soul Hackers, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Tales of Xillia and even the frigging Atelier games out there this year you can spend your money better. I'd say it will be cheap very soon so I wouldn't spend more than a tenner on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

NSFW! (No really!)

edit: Snip

The audio dubbing is terrible, but for some reason I can't stop watching it. hmmmm, i wonder what it is...

:P

Ugh. These Last of Us fans just do my head in.

Just ordered some stuff of mikesarcade.
    got rode up against a wall for the postage but had no choice really :'(

came to $100 before shipping.
    Will I get stung by customs?

• Advertisement

I am incredibly frustrated with the wii u and with everyone saying its the next dreamcast I is unfair to the dreamcast, at least the dc had games.

then having said that this news broke out

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/08/nintendo-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony-4254425/

urbanledge wrote: »
    Just ordered some stuff of mikesarcade.
    got rode up against a wall for the postage but had no choice really :'(

came to $100 before shipping.
    Will I get stung by customs?

I got some stuff today that came to 120 but the value on the bag was marked as 60 and I got charged nothing. Not the first time this happened so I'm thinking some places mark down the cost price maybe.

It really is a lucky dip though...I'd say if they aren't generic electronics like an iPod or something you might have a better chance slipping through

I am incredibly frustrated with the wii u and with everyone saying its the next dreamcast I is unfair to the dreamcast, at least the dc had games.

then having said that this news broke out

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/08/nintendo-valued-as-bigger-company-than-sony-4254425/

Please, please, please post that on the Sony forum.... PLEASE!
    And post a link here to it....

I promise to unban you when you get, well, banned! *

*I may not be able to unban you

Thanks Jack,
    Mikes arcade states they wont mark down values on packages,.
    its just some brackets and a small bit of artwork so fingers crossed

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Please, please, please post that on the Sony forum.... PLEASE!
    And post a link here to it....

I promise to unban you when you get, well, banned! *

*I may not be able to unban you

oh how I am so ver tempted to watch sony forum break into two but you know , I dont want blood on my hands MWHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Who's been saying that the WiiU is the next Dreamcast?

Can I have whatever they've been having?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

waveform wrote: »
    NSFW! (No really!)

edit: Snip

The audio dubbing is terrible, but for some reason I can't stop watching it. hmmmm, i wonder what it is...

:P

That's more Saint's Row than GTA...

Just beat Dragon's Crown there. It starts off ok but once you get to the halfway mark when the game really opens up (and online is unlocked stupidly) then it becomes and absolute blast.

Just beat Dragon's Crown there. It starts off ok but once you get to the halfway mark when the game really opens up (and online is unlocked stupidly) then it becomes and absolute blast.

I'm just assuming you've 100% completed rise of the robots on cdi before playing other less stellar games

Retro: Played 500 hours of Zelda CDi and found nothing wrong.

Retro: Played 500 hours of Zelda CDi and found nothing wrong.

There is an old Retr0 meme picture somewhere, that post would make a perfect statement in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0 has even completed The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe on the CDi.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Retr0 has even completed The Flowers of Robert Mapplethorpe on the CDi.

That's a game?
    The only thing I completed on the CDi was a bowel motion

Good thread in AH for some of you lads :P - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057120286

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    Good thread in AH for some of you lads :P - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057120286

You're single, aren't you?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement