Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

popcorn-boxes.jpg

Anyone else want some? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Achilles wrote: »
    You're single, aren't you?

Lol, nope sorry. But you'd be surprised at the amount of girls out there who think fair is fair :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

zcDasHk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    There is an old Retr0 meme picture somewhere, that post would make a perfect statement in it.
    Go find it then, so we can laugh together.

In other news, my laptop is 100% dead (using my sister's for the time being), which means I have to use that money I saved for getting a 3DS into getting a new one...but hopefully, this means I can get a laptop that can actually run games past 2005.

South Korean soap operas are pretty special:

lovestarcraft.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Myrddin wrote: »
    Lol, nope sorry. But you'd be surprised at the amount of girls out there who think fair is fair :)

Probably one of the more rare females that is actually in to gaming.

Achilles wrote: »
    Probably one of the more rare females that is actually in to gaming.

Ha, nah, unfortunately not....though I did partially succeed in getting her completely hooked on Theme Hospital once :o

I had my lady playing Rapunzel over the weekend. Its the game in the bar in Catherine.

Dark Souls next I assume

So, finished Between Words :( Johnny Ultimate suggested Attack of the Friday monsters next...seems very cool actually, might go ahead & buy it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/21297/20131228/phantasy-star-online-2-western-localization-rumors.htm

god i hope it will be out this year but i know how sega handles things with the west but at least the south asia servers are in english so either case I need to experience phantasy star

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

My missus love the Half Life series, Resistance series, anything shooting aliens really, got me a SNES in October and she kicks my ass in Super Mario 3 and Zombies Ate my Neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

So, finished Between Words :( Johnny Ultimate suggested Attack of the Friday monsters next...seems very cool actually, might go ahead & buy it
    I got it the same time as JU but was busy with ACNL at the time. I'll finally start it after Persona 4, on the home stretch ... but I'm a bit withered from it, might take a break and start it sooner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Friday Monsters is easily playable in a sitting or two (maybe three hours all in all, dependent on your level of OCD), wouldn't worry about it being a major interruption :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Awesome Games Done Quick (AGDQ) have been speed running all types of games for a few days now, Seven days of speed running to help prevent cancer, full list of VOD here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1ui4dn/agdq_vods_thread

They are still live on twitch here :
    http://twitch.tv/speeddemosarchivesda

You need flash to watch, the app is pretty good though.

Ed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Slightly off topic, but ive been registering a load of club nintendo codes i have and i have a spare one for animal crossing new leaf i cant register twice. if anyone has a nintendo game code spare they cant register for the same reason and would like to swap codes give me a shout. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll trade an unused NSMB2 code!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I'll trade an unused NSMB2 code!

Ive registered that one already so dont think it will work either, im happy to pass the code onto you and you can send me on one when you get one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Beautiful work from the Simpsons people, a tribute to Miyazaki,

I tried watching the Lady Gaga episode of the Simpsons that was on last night.

I know it probably gets said about a lot of recent (past 10 years) episodes, but that was without a doubt the worst episode EVER! So bloody tiresome with awful forced humour and obvious attempts at jokes.

Won't it be hilarious if Lady Gaga met Ned Flanders? No, no it won't!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,758 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Beautiful work from the Simpsons people, a tribute to Miyazaki,

While it's nice to see Ghibli referenced affectionately in mainstream media, to me that falls into the same category as a lost of Simpsons gags and references: referencing alone doesn't amount to anything funny or even amusing. All that is is Simpsons characters (randomly selected, it seems) drawn as Miyazaki-esque characters. To me, that lacks the humour, warmth and satirical edge that always defined the way the show homaged other pop culture in its early seasons. If you watch the famous Citizen Kane episode, it's a very, very funny episode in its own right, as well as a brilliantly oddball celebration of the film.

I was watching the Saturday cartoon episode of Futurama last night (Scoobie Doo etc...) and it fell into the same trap of just lazily referencing stuff without much finesse. Although thankfully Futurama, even if it was never as inspired in its later years, would usually recover from a misfire the following episode.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    I tried watching the Lady Gaga episode of the Simpsons that was without a doubt the worst episode EVER!
    I think it really is one of the worst, it was talked about here before if you can find them. Was it the first time you saw it? The one about Bart getting a phone was pretty bad too.
    Bart giving Burns blood was on during the week "boney girl arms and you smell like an elephant's butt"

There's another recent episode where the entire thing is a lazy parody of 'Heavenly Creatures'

I can't imagine a huge amount of viewers would be familiar with the source material so most of the jokes (that weren't that great) wouldn't have fallen flat for a lot of people.

The only funny thing in it was the father being a John Grisham expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

If you think that Simpsons episode was bad, the Lady Gaga + The Muppets special thing that was released recently is worse again. 90% Lady Gaga, 5% other people she wanted to perform with, 5% Muppets.

That was painful, but kept watching hoping for some funny Muppets stuff. There really wasn't much/any.

I'm in work now so I can't check but wasn't there an episode of south park where they talked about how referencing something alone isn't funny.

The Simpsons referencing pop culture does not make it funny. Perfect example was on the telly last night, it was the spinal tap episode of the Simpsons, stand alone its very funny regardless if you know spinal tap or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I tried watching the Lady Gaga episode of the Simpsons that was on last night.

I know it probably gets said about a lot of recent (past 10 years) episodes, but that was without a doubt the worst episode EVER! So bloody tiresome with awful forced humour and obvious attempts at jokes.

Won't it be hilarious if Lady Gaga met Ned Flanders? No, no it won't!

It's not just the worst episode of The Simpsons I've ever seen, I think it's possibly the worst episode of anything I've ever seen. I'd rather watch an episode of Jeremy Kyle.

It's the same problem with all the spoof movies you get now.

It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference.

Compare that to the likes of The Naked Gun and Airplane spoof movies, the jokes all stand alone and you don't need to be overly familiar with what is being spoof to find the humour in them.

It's the same problem with all the spoof movies you get now.

It's just pop culture reference after pop culture reference.

Compare that to the likes of The Naked Gun and Airplane spoof movies, the jokes all stand alone and you don't need to be overly familiar with what is being spoof to find the humour in them.

Surely you can't be serious about that Dino?

Of course Airplane just lifted everything from Zero Hour:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,271 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And once a few years goes by and those pop culture references are forgotten, it loses all relevance.

You get similar things in Dreamworks animated films. Things like The Matrix references in Shrek - it's really obnoxious and cheapens the whole thing.

Dreamworks have definitively improved in recent years though and don't rely on lazy pop culture jokes in their better films.

How to Train Your Dragon was a big step forward for them. Last years Rise of the Guardians was brilliant too and probably a better Avengers film than the Avengers.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    And once a few years goes by and those pop culture references are forgotten, it loses all relevance.

Wazzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Future generations will look back on this age and ask the question 'Who's taking the horse to France?'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FL Studios is far too much fun to mess about in. I've already created a boss music masterpiece. Zuntata have nothing on me!

Future generations will look back on this age and ask the question 'Who's taking the horse to France?'

I had to Google that one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll probably look back on this in a months time and cringe at how bad it is but here's my boss music I was working on all day:

https://soundcloud.com/retr0gamer/boss1/s-ATFbS

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll probably look back on this in a months time and cringe at how bad it is but here's my boss music I was working on all day:

needs some lyrics
    "Now I face out, I hold out
    I reach out to the truth of my life"
    loljk

Sad news, Retropolis is closing. The guy that runs it had a baby.He said he'll still be sticking stuff up on advert.

Sad news, Retropolis is closing. The guy that runs it had a baby.He said he'll still be sticking stuff up on advert.

Why am I reminded of this...

junior-poster.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Thats great, is it the desktop or mobile version you are using?

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Thats great, is it the desktop or mobile version you are using?

Desktop version.

Ah balls. Have bought from them a few times now, really decent place twas.

Ah balls. Have bought from them a few times now, really decent place twas.

Said on Facebook all stock will be going to adverts and he'll still be doing conventions so that's a plus

I shall watch out, I got a great deal off of him for a games, Doom did well for some boxed SF2 games for the SFC.
    Sorry to hear of the stores passing, didn't he only relocate to a bricks and mortar recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm a little drunk tonight so yeah....

Got a pic with pamela Anderson herself.

#MakeItRain

B4DF20DF-4608-4C96-8D75-15FE8555CA1E_zpsiptrgiez.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hmm...

#hashtagsdontworkonboards #ihopetheyneverdo

#IMightGetBanned #PAMELAANDERSON #YOLO #WECANTSTOP