Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    I kept the 3D off for a good percentage of Fire Emblem alright. A Link Between Worlds has been the complete opposite though, the 3D looks really great in it.

Most games don't really need it, but a good lot of them are enhanced visually. I do quite like the sense of layers and depth it can add.

Kid Icarus was great with it but I wouldn't have been playing that too much in one sitting because of the 'claw' effect, so I wouldn't have noticed any drain.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah feck, looks like my car has given up the ghost, with what sounds like a hole in the exhaust, the heating packing it in and the digital dash display going blank today, that's the one that tells you the little extras in the car, like the speed, fuel level, which indicator you are using etc.
    So, how to make a few bob?
    I'm not selling the cab!
    But I may move on my PAL N64 and games, well all barring OoT and MM, maybe hang onto M64 as well.
    But the rest I could replace with NTSC over the next while anyway.
    Do RAGE give decent prices for stuff I wonder?
    Otherwise I might bundle them onto Adverts, just don't want the hassle of Mr F.Moons and the other lowballers who can go choke as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, how to make a few bob?

bit of DDR on Grafton Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Ah feck, looks like my car has given up the ghost, with what sounds like a hole in the exhaust, the heating packing it in and the digital dash display going blank today, that's the one that tells you the little extras in the car, like the speed, fuel level, which indicator you are using etc.

The joys of driving a renault:rolleyes:
    You could always phone up the rage and see what they offer, you could always try the marketplace either. Big bundles never seem to sell on Adverts, you just get requests to split them up. If you have decent games they will sell and I think seperate ads are better if the games are worth the extra time it will take to set up the individual ads.

Ads can be marked as sold as they sell so less clutter on the thread. If I ever decide to sell up that's what I would do, I know it's a lot more work but I think it would be worth it in the end. Some people seem to think if they buy a large amount of games the will get them for feck all. Just sell the pal games then replace with ntsc games and put the difference in the car fund;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have around 30 games or so, and it's the system that gets the least play for some reason.
    Feck it, has to be done.
    I looked at the 360 and PS3 in terms of flogging them, but the market is pretty flooded and there's so many games there I have to play yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Monkeykube wrote: »
    The joys of driving a renault:rolleyes:

Was just thinking the same :D
    I have around 30 games or so, and it's the system that gets the least play for some reason.
    Feck it, has to be done.
    I looked at the 360 and PS3 in terms of flogging them, but the market is pretty flooded and there's so many games there I have to play yet!

You could always get a few jiffy bags...30 games & a console in jiffy bags is worth an absolute ton...apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

and it's the system that gets the least play for some reason.!

Because it had about five games worth playing :pac:

Was thinking about selling mine on in a little bit - just holding out for the gen of kids that grew up with it as a first console age a bit more and develop more earning power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Because it had about five games worth playing :pac:

Was thinking about selling mine on in a little bit - just holding out for the gen of kids that grew up with it as a first console age a bit more and develop more earning power.

Well those kids are all in mid 20s now so there's not much more growing up to do! :P

Cidey, just buy a new car!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some suspect 3DS boxart for a Thursday evening (vaguely NSFW): http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/senran-kagura-european-boxart-100-boobs/

Not every day you see an EU release with that kind of cover.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It only got a digital release annoyingly in the US.

As far as I can tell the game is pretty much just about boobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I would be surprised if Nintendo let it run with that cover in Europe.

Looks like I'm going to have to go to a Gamestop where no one knows me to buy that one, shuffle up to the counter in an old mac (the coat, not the computer) and ask under my breath "Ahem... have you got, urm... Senran Kagura for the 3DS..." and when the person behind the counter feigns ignorance and asks you what it looks like or is about, I dash out of the shop for fear of someone spotting me....
    That or just get it from Amazon.

Only thing about buying it from Amazon, you know the way they pop up other items you'd might like based on your previous purchases!
    Imagine what the wife and child could be greeted with if hunting for that elusive copy of some sh1te by The Corrs... some half nakeed young one in cartoon form in a banner across the screen..... "What's that Mammy?"......

Maybe use the computer in work?
    Could be worse.....

I know, I'll get Retr0 to order it for me, or Atavan, they're pretty much well known to be utterly depraved anyway!

Master of the Universe

Some suspect 3DS boxart for a Thursday evening (vaguely NSFW): http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/senran-kagura-european-boxart-100-boobs/

Not every day you see an EU release with that kind of cover.

Not only an EU release, but an EU release on a 'kid friendly console'.

That's fairly mad stuff. Shall be interesting to see if it does go to print and if there is any resulting controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I know the next 3DS game I'll be getting anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Funny, considering the Japanese cover is rather tame by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

it’s basically a scrolling beat-em-up where two rival academies of perky ninja schoolgirls do battle. And their clothes get ripped off as they fight
    the core fighting underneath all the moe, pants and boobs is very solid, enjoyable and much slicker that you’d expect.

Let's be honest - it's **** fodder for teenagers or perverted old geezers not getting any. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Let's be honest - it's **** fodder for teenagers or perverted old geezers not getting any. :rolleyes:

3DS in one hand.

Pen 'Down with this sort of thing' placard in the other.

3DS in one hand.

Pen 'Down with this sort of thing' placard in the other.

Maybe release a Limited Edition that includes a box of tissues. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Problem though is that when you get Chinese batteries claiming to have high ratings, it's generally all lies. Folks reckon that the battery in that link has about half the power in reality.

Gotta love the trickery of the Chinese! :p

4440-NXvpJs8DzNMQ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm still new to this while 3DS gig. When I turned on Pokémon today, there was a small blue circle in the bottom right corner of the game icon on the console home screen., any idea what the craic is with that?

• Advertisement

it's **** fodder

Gotta remember that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I haven't seen the game mentioned by name on this page but can tell without looking back that you're discussing Senran Kagura :) I have SK Burst on 3DS and the Vita game, as they were some of the few JPN exclusives I had any chance of being able to play in Japanese. Maybe I'm missing something not understanding the language, but they're pretty mediocre hack n' slash games. Picked up what turned out to be an even more perverse card game on the Vita, Monster Monpiece, as it had come up on a quick search for a list of import-friendly Vita games. Genuinely didn't realise how bad it was til I got back home and looked up more about it. Still haven't played it, I swear!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,895 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Monster Monpiece is getting localised for a US release apparently...

It's the witch-touching game all over again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

ghostchant wrote: »
    It's the witch-touching game all over again

Doki doki majo shinpan?

Yep. In Monster Monpiece you activate special powers by rubbing the character vigorously...

Master of the Universe

That's the Edge review right there.
    Still scores better then Gunstar Heroes ;)

Yeah...the game has yet to hit my Vita. Looks like a cute puzzle/card game on the box...the blurb on the back in Japanese might well say 'Super Commuter Wankathon!!' Can't imagine it'd go down well playing on the Dart on the way to work. Or at home while sitting next to the GF

Master of the Universe

And here we were feeling self conscious blowing into the DS mic in Zelda games while commuting... :eek:

Update on the Sega art book which should excite Ciderman;

'Next time, I'll (finally!) be taking you all on a guided tour of our freshly-translated Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage design documents and sharing information about the other artwork and ephemera we've discovered over the Christmas period. '

Can't wait to get a look at these. I love design and production artwork, there really isn't enough game related art like that published.

• Advertisement

And here we were feeling self conscious blowing into the DS mic in Zelda games while commuting... :eek:

You've probably given retr0 and idea for his next mobile game! Hard to imagine the sorts of depraved gameplay he could invent. :p
    Update on the Sega art book which should excite Ciderman;

'Next time, I'll (finally!) be taking you all on a guided tour of our freshly-translated Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage design documents and sharing information about the other artwork and ephemera we've discovered over the Christmas period. '

Can't wait to get a look at these. I love design and production artwork, there really isn't enough game related art like that published.

Those update emails are fecking torture. I forget about the book then an email appears which has wishing they'd hurry the fook up and release it! Don't be telling me too much about the content either or there'll be nothing to look forward too. At least it sounds like it will be packed with great content and hopefully the build quality will be decent too, better than that PCE mag you got anyway.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I know what you mean - every time I see an email like that I straight away think it's a note about it being released or even a release date. You're probably wise to not read any updates for fear of spoilers, I don't know if I have the same level of restraint!

Had the complete opposite happen during the week - a brand new unopened Snes game came in the post. Hadn't a clue what it was or why it had been sent to me.

Then realized it was a 'new release' of Nightmare Busters from Super Fight Team which I bought almost two years ago :eek:

Capture_zpsfe91a9b6.jpg

Don't worry about those Bare Knuckle design documents, I have petrol and a match right here!

I have 2 kickstarter books on the way so its just horrible to see the updates because i get really excited when i see then and then disappointed when they say they haven't started printing yet :(

One of them hasnt even conducted any interviews yet, I'll just have to plan to read it on my death bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

This just might be the worst game ever

I was so disappointed when I saw that trailer

I love Rambo but this....this is not Rambo

Man, that's mild compared to the finale of the last Rambo film. One man genocide if ever there was one!

Going to see that in the cinema was one of the most enjoyable cinema trips of my life. We all gave a standing ovation at the end - it actually managed to transcend its own stupidity to become some sort of bat**** crazy brilliance :pac: So wildly inappropriate in every single way.

Man, that's mild compared to the finale of the last Rambo film. One man genocide if ever there was one!

Going to see that in the cinema was one of the most enjoyable cinema trips of my life. We all gave a standing ovation at the end - it actually managed to transcend its own stupidity to become some sort of bat**** crazy brilliance :pac: So wildly inappropriate in every single way.

Yes one of the best cinema experiences ever! Absolutely awful film in every aspect but I love it so much! Only Stallone can do it

I picked up the soundtrack to GTA: San Andreas the other day. It comes with a DVD, so I sat down and watched it just there. Turns out, it was actually a great little idea. I was expecting it to be interviews with developers about how big the game is, and what players bould expect while playing it, and so on. Turns out it's actually a prelude to game, showing what CJ was up to in Liberty City, Rosenberg trying to ring Vecetti for help after getting out of rehab, and OG Loc being a big auld fool down on Grove Street. It was a really fun 20minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

This is one for Atavan!

From the same genius that brought us the chipophone...

As the text shows - no need to build the adapter, just hook the dance mat upto a PC and run it in the Vice emulator.

Has anyone played Juniper's Knot on the ipad, I think it's on pc as well. It's a very short but free visual novel, it only takes about an hour to play but it's definitely worth playing.

Red Star on PS2, anyone? I've been tipping into it on co-op lately and having a blast with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

"Arvoesine"
    -> action platformer
    -> NES styled graphics
    -> free

http://alastairjohnjack.com/post/38540342567/arvoesine

I'm quite liking this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Has anyone played Juniper's Knot on the ipad, I think it's on pc as well. It's a very short but free visual novel, it only takes about an hour to play but it's definitely worth playing.

Had it installed on my pc for over a year but never got round to playing it.

megaten wrote: »
    Had it installed on my pc for over a year but never got round to playing it.

It's only a 2 hour read so worth it since it's so short.

• Advertisement

While on the subject of books, just finished Wool, by Hugh Howey, very very good dystopian sci-fi, I'm going to get the followup next, published on the Kindle but apparently out there in paperback now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

While on the subject of books, just finished Wool, by Hugh Howey, very very good dystopian sci-fi, I'm going to get the followup next, published on the Kindle but apparently out there in paperback now too.

Very good read all right. Shift, am shifts the story back to 'our' time and loses some of the magic.
    It begins to get interesting and it shifts again to another viewpoint at a different time. The first book(s) where Great as the stories flowed into each other well and the book had a nice pace. shift stutters a bit and I couldn't finish it and dust, the third one, is seen as the weakest of the trilogy.
    Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajneimi is a great sci-fi read and the sequel builds on it.
    Sea of Ghosts by Alan Campell is a great read. Just flings ideas at you and despite generic characters still manages to be original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

My Luigi diorama arrived this morning:

BefzvDGIgAAjdf6.jpg

Not a bad turn around.

Here's a definite for a future rarity. La Mulana 2 is getting kickstarter. One of the tiers for $100 ($15 extra for postage) will get you aphysical copy of La Mulana 2. Add $50 extra will get you a physical copy of La Mulana 2.

I'm waiting until I get paid next but definitely going for 1 and 2 physical. The first game was one of the all time greats.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/la-mulana-2

I started playing the latest Tomb Raider last night. The first hour is one of the most intense, brutal and promising openings I've played to a game in quite some time - a mainstream game where you actually feel like a fragile human being desperately trying to survive.

Unfortunately, it's already gone really cover shooty :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement