Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You should read "The Rise And Fall of Sega", its a fantastic insight into what tore the company apart.
    Did you know Sega wrote the first emulator for a Nintendo console ?

What was the console and what was the emulator? Interesting stuff :)

Ah ffs, you just did a videogame version of a Rickroll.

I put 'Rise and Fall of Sega' into ebay to see if it was printed and just got loads of auctions for Rise of the Robots :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    iPad at the moment and using Corona SDK but I need a developers license to get it on the machine, although I'm no where near that stage yet. Spent the last week writing collision detection and then rewriting it when I found it wasn't good enough :)

Presumably the game isn't going to be called The Saga of the Candy Monsters or anything like that. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    I do agree that there's definitely an element of 'if it ain't broke' - but do you not think this breeds a level of lazyness and apathy towards innovation too? Do you think we are now currently at the apex of videogame control design? I really don't think we are. We just seem to be at the apex of what is easiest to market and easiest to develop.

We saw it with the last few gens of Playstation controllers, they continued to use an outdated design for absolutely years which hadn't really changed much since the dual shock on the PS1.

Why? Well, it was as much part of their marketing and image as it was a controller. Not to mention it meant they didn't need to really put very much R&D into it either.

To be honest I'm actually very surprised they changed it up as much as they did with the PS4 (and am absolutely delighted to see it happen too!)

'It ain't broke...' is no excuse for complacency, that I will happily concede. But I also think we have yet to get to the point where a viable replacement has emerged, and I don't think that's from a lack of trying. I agree with Retr0 and yourself that the Wii's greatest achievement was accessibility, but look at the challenges Nintendo came up against when trying to expand the level of experiences it could offer. Many games and whole genres need more precise control than the Wiimote was able to provide - even the likes of first person games, which when the Wii was announced seemed like the most natural fit for the device :( In so many ways, we're still stuck with joypads because no-one has theorised a truly capable alternative, or maybe the technology just isn't there yet for mass production of said alternative. After all, even with Oculus, how to you actually play the game? With a traditional controller attached to a generic box. There's probably some hyper sensitive sensor rig out there, say, that can act as an accurate full body input method, but I'd also imagine even large companies would balk at the cost! More than that, is something like that a reasonable ask for someone's living room at the moment?

As for R&D, I wouldn't imagine most companies are resting on their laurels when it comes to planning advances: I'd safely wager Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are constantly researching new ideas. After all, the extremely persistent rumours are that Sony is planning some sort of a VR headset for the PS4, and they'd be crazy not to be. They'll just be waiting until it's truly ready for the mass market to launch it. We can't forget even Oculus Rift haven't managed to release a consumer friendly version yet, with the HD graphics that will be integral to the full experience. These things take time, and I doubt Sony will be waiting until the PS5 to launch their significant new upgrade: no casual buyer wants a low-res, uncalibrated VR headset, after all. A console is nothing more than a core box at this point, adaptable and upgradable as required. I'd be very surprised if the vanilla Xbox One and PS4 aren't radically different to the same boxes in 2018.

Oh, and a telling figure: Microsoft spent $100 million on R&D for the Xbox One controller alone, experimenting with radical new methods of input. What did they end up with? A very slightly refined traditional controller with trigger rumble :pac: Even Kinect, now in its second generation, is still well short of where it needs to be at. Revolutionary technological advances just don't arrive - it's a pretty slow, painstaking process towards perfection. The funny thing is that, as we're all living it, it can seem incremental rather than revolutionary. Put it this way: if a gamer cryogenically frozen in 1990 woke up today, imagine their response to how far games have come in 25 years. Things change, and we're following every single little advance rather than the entire accumulation of those little changes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

iPad at the moment and using Corona SDK but I need a developers license to get it on the machine, although I'm no where near that stage yet. Spent the last week writing collision detection and then rewriting it when I found it wasn't good enough :)

Once you get good I can sort out that Shamrouges license for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ha ha ha, I got the Kindle version of it but I guess there is a printed version somewhere.

I think it was a NES emulator, written by one of the clever guys who went onto AM2 - but I could be wrong :)

Master of the Universe

After all, even with Oculus, how to you actually play the game? With a traditional controller attached to a generic box. There's probably some hyper sensitive sensor rig out there, say, that can act as an accurate full body input method, but I'd also imagine even large companies would balk at the cost! More than that, is something like that a reasonable ask for someone's living room at the moment?

See this is what I'm kind of getting at on the control front. A keyboard and mouse is impossible to use with the Rift. Once it's on, you're literally working on touch alone. I can touch type fine, but with the Rift on it completely removes any sense you have of where the keyboard actually is, so any such skills go totally out the window!

A standard controller is a bit better. However, it has a down side (which mouse and keyboard also has) - it's a tether to the 'real world' and acts as an immersion killer.

Have you heard of the Razer Hydra? It's kind of like a Wiimote and nunchuck you hold in each hand which act like virtual hands in the Rift. This is the kind of thing which needs to be developed on for VR hardware. Ideally, some kind of gloves you wear (no Powerglove comments please! :D) that sensed your finger movements would be ideal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Put it this way: if a gamer cryogenically frozen in 1990 woke up today, imagine their response to how far games have come in 25 years. Things change, and we're following every single little advance rather than the entire accumulation of those little changes :)

Why am I stuck in one big long corridor and why does the game tell me the controls every 5 mintues?

Why am I stuck in one big long corridor and why does the game tell me the controls every 5 mintues?

And what's an 'update' ?

Master of the Universe

To be honest if you froze me 25 years ago and woke me up up today I'd be expecting to see VR, hover boards and alien girls with three boobs everywhere.

Would definitely be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought you liked Final Fantasy 13? :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I liked the combat and the music and.... no that's pretty much it :)

I'm wondering what the reviews of FFX will be like when it gets rereleased to see if time has been kind to it because it pretty much does the whole corridor thing but with an outrageous random encounter rate. I can see some people tearing into it like Kingdom Hearts (although I think that deserved it more).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Spoony's review melted my brain, amazing music though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

To be honest if you froze me 25 years ago and woke me up up today I'd be expecting to see VR, hover boards and alien girls with three boobs everywhere.

Would definitely be disappointed.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we are disapointed!

Still have almost 2 years for Mattel to release that hover boars though so fingers crossed

Ha ha ha, I got the Kindle version of it but I guess there is a printed version somewhere.

I think it was a NES emulator, written by one of the clever guys who went onto AM2 - but I could be wrong :)

It was Yuji Naka, he developed a NES emulator for the Megadrive and it was the AM8 division.

It was Yuji Naka, he developed a NES emulator for the Megadrive and it was the AM8 division.

Not surprised it was him.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

No, they'd report it as:

"Video games cause grey matter increase in kids!"

"Grey matter causes cancer!"

Or something stupid like that. That's interesting though. I always figured gaming could make you a bit smarter due to puzzle solving and having to react to things quickly on screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

TBH, I'd go for one with an intact label. Not that I'd be able to afford one anytime soon or at all :P

You could also get the repro cart, which comes nicely packaged

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?products_id=62

At 90K now, wonder if it'll top 100K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

$92.2k @ 13:54 , 10 hours left.

I'd say it will make the 100k alright :)

What was the most expensive NES game ever ?

I think it was the sealed stadium events that sold for about $40k I think.

I can't understand why that's nearing $100k! It's the more common of the 2 (not that it is common) and the label is fecked. I could maybe understand the gold cart nearing that price but not this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

deathrider wrote: »
    I always find this show educational, but good god, these boys are boring. They've got zero character and don't look comfortable in they're own skin. Having said that though, they really know their stuff.

Their humour is poor too, but at least the content is nice.

1597476_205653499629455_310183045_o.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That has to be some joker putting in fake bids. even though its rare there is no way its worth 100k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Hah, reminds me of the time I had a bid on Air Raid for the 2600 of $11400, drunk, for the craic. Thank fcuk I was outbid! Still have the email saved congratulating me on being the highest bidder!

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Hah, reminds me of the time I had a bid on Air Raid for the 2600 of $11400, drunk, for the craic. Thank fcuk I was outbid! Still have the email saved congratulating me on being the highest bidder!

Big man ;-)

PS2 launch price was $300? Jesus we got totally shafted here in Europe. I remember shelling out the guts of 400 euros for mine... a year after release.

PS2 launch price was $300? Jesus we got totally shafted here in Europe. I remember shelling out the guts of 400 euros for mine... a year after release.

The launch price in the UK was £299 according to multiple posts on forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember the investment in the 3DO and how well that paid off.
    Now, to be fair, I got some quality gaming there and missed or on nothing as I had a Snes and MD previously and most of the AAA titles on them over the years, and bought a PS at it's European launch.
    But it did have cracking games and I still have a lot of them.
    Return Fire, to me, is like something Nintendo would create, a fantastic multiplayer game and, with Maps O'Death, a great single player challenge too. The attention to detail in there was amazing, a true next gen title at the time.
    On launch day I got the 3DO with Burning Soldier and Mega race, both fmv festivals with the former quite good and the latter awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I did it! I beat Persona 4 and got the true ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

1619278_10152588013809152_169714544_n.jpg

Behold Pikachu true form :L

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Hey guys,

I know this is a general chat thread but didn't want to clog up your forum with a new thread.

Decided to treat myself to a SNES this week to recapture some of my best childhood memories. I'm looking to get the following games as they were the ones I played most when I was younger. Just wondering if you could tell me if (a) they're hard to get, (b) how much I'm likely to pay?

Donkey Kong Country
    Bubsy (Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind)
    F-Zero
    Super Punch Out
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Megaman X
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Probotector (I think this was SNES, or was it NES?)

And one more random question -

I used to play a Mario game but not sure which one it is. All I know is Yoshi was in it, and you could get on Yoshi's back. There were also a few miniature Yoshis that could be different colours, i.e. blue, red, green etc. Any idea which game this is, how much I'm likely to pay and if it's hard to get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I know this is a general chat thread but didn't want to clog up your forum with a new thread.

Decided to treat myself to a SNES this week to recapture some of my best childhood memories. I'm looking to get the following games as they were the ones I played most when I was younger. Just wondering if you could tell me if (a) they're hard to get, (b) how much I'm likely to pay?

Donkey Kong Country
    Bubsy (Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind)
    F-Zero
    Super Punch Out
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Megaman X
    Super Mario Kart
    Super Probotector (I think this was SNES, or was it NES?)

Super Probotector & Megaman X are the ony ones there that are on the pricier side, everything else should be fairly handy to get & cheap enough.

I used to play a Mario game but not sure which one it is. All I know is Yoshi was in it, and you could get on Yoshi's back. There were also a few miniature Yoshis that could be different colours, i.e. blue, red, green etc. Any idea which game this is, how much I'm likely to pay and if it's hard to get?

Super Mario World, & here, not bad for 8 quid - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057134181

Master of the Universe

Enjoy the Snes! :) Think about getting it modded so the games can run in full speed at 60hz.

Donkey Kong Country - easy to get, cheap
    Bubsy (Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind) very easy to get, cheap fully boxed too
    F-Zero - easy to get, cheap, boxed not too bad
    Super Punch Out - easy to get, cheap
    Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo - easy to get, cheap
    Mortal Kombat 2 - easy to get, cheap
    Mortal Kombat 3 - easy to get, cheap
    Megaman X PAL version is really hard to get and will set you back a small fortune. NTSC US can be had much cheaper
    Super Mario Kart - easy to get, cheap-ish, bit of a high demand
    Super Probotector Bit more expensive than the others, but should be able to get it for 25-30
    TJ Mackie wrote:

Super Mario World 2; Yoshi's Island. About €20-30 for a cart.

Super Mario World 2; Yoshi's Island. About €20-30 for a cart.

It's been a while, but I'm 99% sure there were different coloured Yoshi's later on in SMW?

Don't bother with Bubsy and the Mortal Kombat games, they are pretty crappy.

Super Probotector and Megaman X are easy to find but people pay stupid money for them so they can be expensive.

Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's been a while, but I'm 99% sure there were different coloured Yoshi's later on in SMW?

Nope! I played through it again there a couple of years ago and didn't see any :D

In Yoshi's Island, a huge part of the visual aspect is the changing Yoshi colours, plus the whole riding on him is a key game mechanic. I'd say that's definitely the game he's thinking about.

Yep in the star world. It's defo Super Mario World they are looking for. o1s1n is just too much of a Sega fanboy to have gotten 96 exits in SMW :P

• Advertisement

Nope! I played through it again there a couple of years ago and didn't see any :D

In Yoshi's Island, a huge part of the visual aspect is the changing Yoshi colours, plus the whole riding on him is a key game mechanic. I'd say that's definitely the game he's thinking about.

Ah you skipped Star World...fraud!! :D

Master of the Universe

Yep in the star world. It's defo Super Mario World they are looking for. o1s1n is just too much of a Sega fanboy to have gotten 96 exits in SMW :P
    Ah you skipped Star World...fraud!! :D

Hah! :pac: Ahh I errr..forgot about it :D

So, you guys think a few different coloured Yoshi's tucked away in Star World is an indicator that the guy is talking about SMW over Yoshi's Island?

Multi coloured Yoshis - how could he not be talking about Yoshi's Island? Mentallers :pac:

Cheers guys.

I'm sure MK/Bubsy haven't aged well, but it's all about playing through them and the nostalgia for me :)
    o1s1n wrote:
    Think about getting it modded so the games can run in full speed at 60hz.

Sorry, would you mind explaining that to me like I'm a 5 year old? I'm aware of what modding is, but not sure what 60hz is and why it would be better for me? :o

Master of the Universe

Prepare to have your childhood shattered :(

In Europe, up until the last couple of gens, we played games in 50hz. In Japan and America it is 60hz.

Nintendo and Sega decided to be lazy with most of their games and didn't do a proper conversion.

The end result? Most PAL games for the Snes and Megadrive run 17% slower than they are meant to. This includes the music.

A second horrible issue with PAL 50HZ, black boarders. The games are actually meant to run full screen.

Best comparison I can show you is between PAL 50hz and NTSC 60hz Sonic. Look how much slower the game and the music is, it's awful!

A 50/60hz switch allows you to run PAL games at full speed and full screen as they were originally intended, it's definitely a must.

Hah! :pac: Ahh I errr..forgot about it :D

So, you guys think a few different coloured Yoshi's tucked away in Star World is an indicator that the guy is talking about SMW over Yoshi's Island?

Multi coloured Yoshis - how could he not be talking about Yoshi's Island? Mentallers :pac:

Ah you could be right, it's just I remember distinctly different coloured Yoshi's from SMW, the op could be the same :)
    Sorry, would you mind explaining that to me like I'm a 5 year old? I'm aware of what modding is, but not sure what 60hz is and why it would be better for me? :o

The Hz is the display frequency. Over here in the EU, back in the Snes days our TV's were mostly 50Hz, & as such, so were our consoles. What this means it, the Snes was slowed down by 12%, & the screen are was made smaller to be compatible with out tv's. Most decent crt tv's now though are capable of displaying a 60Hz image, so you can 'modify' the Snes to re-enable output of 60Hz, which is the full speed of the gameplay that they were designed to be played at, & the display are now takes up nearly all the screen {the big black borders top & bottom are gone}

Look here, at 1:26 he switches the Snes to 50Hz and you can see the screen get visibly smaller.

Super Mario World, & here, not bad for 8 quid - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057134181

Is Super Mario World definitely on that cartridge? I thought All Stars was only Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3...?

I know there was a version released that included World, but I thought it specifically says that on the cartridge, i.e. like this one here:

1121565287-00.jpg

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info guys, definitely sounds like something I should get done. Is it expensive, or where would I get it done?

Sorry, I know I'm wrecking your heads now with all these questions! :o

Oh crap I mixed that up completely, no the one I linked to is All Stars only, & doesn't include World :o World can be gotten for in or around the same price anyway :)

Master of the Universe

Is Super Mario World definitely on that cartridge? I thought All Stars was only Super Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3...?

I know there was a version released that included World, but I thought it specifically says that on the cartridge, i.e. like this one here:

You have to settle the Super Mario World or Super Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island debate for us!! :D

So the game you played, did it look like this (with mostly green Yoshi's all the same size)

Super_Mario_World_04.png

Or like this with different coloured Yoshi's, baby yoshi's and you spent the whole game riding on his back?

35757-Super_Mario_World_2_-_Yoshi's_Island_(USA)-16.jpg

They both have totally different art styles too. Yoshi's Island almost looks like a painting, visually it's amazing :)

Anyway, get both of them!

Don't be trying to sway him with a green Yoshi :D

hqdefault.jpg

I'm afraid, the correct answer is (and I know this because I just googled to see what the box looks like and I instantly remembered when I seen it...)....

Super-mario-world-box.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement