Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

My late night pursuit - play wonderboy for the c64 in bed armed only with an iPad.

The main c64 emulator on the appstore is crippled with the limitation of playing built in games, and games offered via IAPs.

Looked beyond and there is the c64.emu but it was taken down from the cydia store due to paypal issues with the developer.

Almost gave up hope until I found a .deb package for the sucker in the dark depths of the internet and now i have loadable c64 games on my iPad!

The emulator is jam packed with awesome features, ReSID Emulation, iCade support, you can even scan for Wiimotes or PS3 controllers over bluetooth!

Its basically Vice emulator ported to iOS.

There is only an on screen d-pad instead of an analog stick, so trying to make precise jumps in Wonderboy is a pain, but having the ability to play C64 games on the ipad is just great!

291247.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's SSF2T then the ai was always insane and near unplayable.

I can't speak for the console ports, but I owned the arcade board at one time & it was stupidly, stupidly difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    I can't speak for the console ports, but I owned the arcade board at one time & it was stupidly, stupidly difficult.

You really were mad into SF2 games when you collected PCBs werent ya? How many did you have in total?

o1s1n wrote: »
    You really were mad into SF2 games when you collected PCBs werent ya? How many did you have in total?

Yeah, they held so much nostalgic value for me. Every version, despite being similar, I had different memories of. I remember clearing The World Warrior for the first time. I remember getting to Bison in CE for the first time. I remember being stunned by HF the first time I seen it. I remember getting to Bison in SSF2 the first time I ever played it, as easy as it was. I had:

SF2
    SF2 CE
    SF2 HF
    SSF2
    SSF2 Turbo
    SFA
    SFA 2
    SFA 3

:o

Master of the Universe

Wow, that must have been something else to see. Not to mention the space that many CPS2 boards take up! Did you ever really delve into any other PCBs or was it mainly just Street Fighter games?

I know what you mean regarding different versions, I'm similar with Metal Slug. 6 different MVS carts, some folks would deem overkill. Each has it's own draw for me though :)

• Advertisement

Wow, that must have been something else to see. Not to mention the space that many CPS2 boards take up! Did you ever really delve into any other PCBs or was it mainly just Street Fighter games?

I had a non working Tekken 3 pcb if that counts :o Honestly though no, while I love arcade games, I literally grew up feeding 20p coins into Street Fighter machines so they were always the big draw for me. Had I have kept collecting, I'd probably have delved into other stuff, but the games I liked & had nostalgic value for me, were unobtainable really. Virtua Racing, Outrun, Ridge Racer {which I ended up owning actually}, Daytona, Sega Rally, Pole Position 1 &2, Chase HQ, & so forth, all worked off completely different hardware so owning them, space aside, would have been a massive investment.
    I know what you mean regarding different versions, I'm similar with Metal Slug. 6 different MVS carts, some folks would deem overkill. Each has it's own draw for me though :)

Yeah it's definitely 'a thing'. A lot would say would you not just get SF2 HF & leave it at that, but that wasn't an option for me. They all have different draws as you put it, & even at that, CE is prob my favourite version :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im with you, Street Fighter 2 was THE game when i was a teenager. I spent a fortune on it and like that was up in the bowling alley in palmerstown and other places, constantly playing it . Loved the different versions and agree with you that CE is the best one for me. I have CE and WW at home, i just this week sold Alpha 3 to a guy in the US for decent money! I had a Rainbow edition at one stage too but i just find that unplayable. Theres just something about that game, there was nothing better then some lad coming along thinking he was great, sticking in his 20p then getting his ass handed to him and doing the walk of shame haha..

Master of the Universe

I had a non working Tekken 3 pcb if that counts :o Honestly though no, while I love arcade games, I literally grew up feeding 20p coins into Street Fighter machines so they were always the big draw for me. Had I have kept collecting, I'd probably have delved into other stuff, but the games I liked & had nostalgic value for me, were unobtainable really. Virtua Racing, Outrun, Ridge Racer {which I ended up owning actually}, Daytona, Sega Rally, Pole Position 1 &2, Chase HQ, & so forth, all worked off completely different hardware so owning them, space aside, would have been a massive investment.

I have to feel sorry for folks who lean more towards arcade racer nostalgia. Now there's something which is hard to recreate at home.

Didn't spend too much time with racers myself. I've played all of the above in arcades, but it was more a 1 credit novelty go then playing properly.

Spent all my time on standard jamma woody cabs. Initially I started collecting arcade PCBs to do just that, get all the ones I'd played over the years.

The more I collected, the more I realized I'd played. Funny how your brain can suddenly drag an old memory out of storage when you see a game screenshot and then make you lust after the PCB :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperkin-SupaBoy-Console-NTSC-New-Edition-Improved-Battery-5HRS-/350984986837?pt=Video_Games&hash=item51b855e0d5

Half tempted to get one of these Supaboys. They look quite good. Reviews seem solid enough for them too.

Anyone have any experience of them at all?

Master of the Universe

Was interested in one of them when they were first announced, but haven't heard good things to be honest. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Depends what they go for. Wouldn't go in at the original asking price as it was too much, but if it was anywhere around that current auction price it might be tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Was interested in one of them when they were first announced, but haven't heard good things to be honest. The build quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Depends what they go for. Wouldn't go in at the original asking price as it was too much, but if it was anywhere around that current auction price it might be tempting.

Thanks for that. Yeah I thought that price seemed fair enough. I'll do a bit more research into them first.

I like the idea of playing snes games on the couch at home though. I know myself if I bought an actual snes which I was considering too it'd just collect dust cause of not having access to the telly.

And like the Vita or Wii U I'd be able at least be in the same room as the missus whilst still getting time to play some games. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RPGAMER best of the year:

http://www.rpgamer.com/awards/2013/

Seems like a very good list. One thing though is SMTIV on the most disappointing list. I agree with somethings they say (it does get too easy later on and the overworld map is awful) about it but saying AI companions can cause a party wipe due to silly decisions is just blame false. As a follow up to Nocturne well yeah it doesn't really live up to that game so was a disappointment although not to Ni No Kuni levels. I still think it deserves a best soundtrack nod.

Master of the Universe

Clicked two links, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds mentioned in both of them.

/facepalm

/Edit - it's actually mentioned on more, even the 'best RPG of the year' page.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm very interested in starting Atelier Ayesha now. My friend has been singing that series praise, the same friend that told me to try Persona.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of RPGs (of which Zelda is not one, and I'm always confused why people insist that it is), Bravely Default is the perfect mix between old-school play and modern thinking. It actually even offers the tools for you to tailor how you want to play it. There's an option that allows you to adjust the random battle rate, for example, to +100%, +50%, 0% (standard), -50% and -100%. This is such an absolutely brilliant idea. If you need to grind a few levels, you can set it up to 100% and quickly fly your way through a load of standard enemies to beef yourself up, helped further by the fact you can adjust battle speed. Or if you want to revisit a dungeon to get a chest you missed, you can just turn battles off so you don't have to waste your time fighting through underpowered enemies every few seconds. It makes exploration a joy rather rather than a chore. Similarly, if you're running low on items or MP (or indeed your battery indicator is flashing red), you can set it low and leg it back to town for healing - that's open to abuse, sure, but also means you don't have to lose an hour of progress just because of distant save points.

Obviously many purists will utterly reject this sort of thing, and naturally you play through most of the game with the settings unadjusted. But my word using the tools sensibly makes the game an absolute pleasure to play, free of some of the JRPG's most time wasting, frustrating quirks. Best of all, it offers you the choice to play as you want.

Yeah I heard it's got a lot of forward thinking elements and it's surprisingly dark as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

its on my to buy list as well but it got pushed down last night when I impulsively got Soul Hackers last night at two in the morning along with The Martian by Andy Weir, which is a book that I have all ready devoured but had to get the hard copy after only reading the soft copy on my kindle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

:D:D
    It is retro related, just watch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm currently in kells, drinking, and staying the night with 2 ladies

....?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

....?

Why the question mark? :P

Why the question mark? :P

Why not the question mark?

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

Why not the question mark?

But... Why?? :confused:

But... Why?? :confused:

Because reasons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, how did you get on? Sleep much?

Master of the Universe

I see advert's finest are up early this morning. Garth Brooks tickets on sale at 8am and already €500 for a pair on adverts.ie.

http://www.adverts.ie/concerts-festivals/garth-brooks-tickets/4708418

(Just to note, I hate Garth Brooks as much as I hate touts :pac:)

Loads on Donedeal too. Just spotted this one :D

Garth brooks tickets free to good home spend all day and night in a tent for da caric got hungry went to supermacs t get a snack box nw am fed nd lost my place in da q some prick stole me tent least I still have a bottle a buck fast nd a snakbox also selling Garth brooks CDs singned by Curley from coronation street free chip from snack box with all CDs bought email if interested ph is fecked left in in supermacs

Price: € 200

http://www.donedeal.ie/musictickets-for-sale/garth-brooks-tickets/6343706

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

....Profit?
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This whole Garth Brooks thing has left me genuinely baffled. I recall him being a big deal for a period back in the nineties, but the hysteria this has been greeted with is bizarre and even disturbing :pac: The general public continues to surprise me.

In more encouraging music news, Anamanaguchi tomorrow night :) Been eagerly waiting for them to return since I was away during their last gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I've decided to try my hand at soldering... I'm going to try and mod my Mega Drive with region and frequency mods.

Seems simple enough... cut a few traces and solder a bit of wire. I'll either end up killing my Mega Drive or being successful.

Who knows...

Anyway just wanted to know apart from eBay and the likes where would be a good place in Dublin to pick up a few SPDT toggle switches?

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Achilles wrote: »
    So I've decided to try my hand at soldering... I'm going to try and mod my Mega Drive with region and frequency mods.

Seems simple enough... cut a few traces and solder a bit of wire. I'll either end up killing my Mega Drive or being successful.

Who knows...

Anyway just wanted to know apart from eBay and the likes where would be a good place in Dublin to pick up a few SPDT toggle switches?

Cheers.

I get mine in Radionics

I get mine in Radionics

I was on their site earlier but I couldn't seem to find their address. Where are they located?

I was on their site earlier but I couldn't seem to find their address. Where are they located?

They're in Crumlin/Rialto...it's just off the canal & pretty handy - https://maps.google.ie/maps?safe=active&ie=UTF-8&q=RS+Radionics&fb=1&gl=ie&hq=radionics&hnear=0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0,Dublin&cid=5915463893291273352&ei=Qi3qUt-AOJSVhQeBt4CABg&ved=0CLABEPwSMAs

Master of the Universe

This whole Garth Brooks thing has left me genuinely baffled. I recall him being a big deal for a period back in the nineties, but the hysteria this has been greeted with is bizarre and even disturbing :pac: The general public continues to surprise me.

In more encouraging music news, Anamanaguchi tomorrow night :) Been eagerly waiting for them to return since I was away during their last gig.

One word - culchies :pac:

I've been really surprised with how popular he still is. It dates back to that nineties line dancing craze. I think 'Cotton Eye Joe' came out and all of a sudden, everyone started listening to country music, wearing snakeskin boots and dancing like drunken cowboy down their local. Tragically embarrassing phase in Irish pop culture I thought we'd seen the back of! Hopefully there isn't some kind of reemergence after this concert...

Who knows...

Cheers.

Good luck! It's one of my goals for the new year. I already have almost everything 'Enternow Modded', but would love to get to a level where I'm competent enough to maintain/fix stuff.

Gaming aside, I also need to learn for the vintage hifi gear I'm into. If you think caps on 90s consoles/PCBs are bad, try early 70s stereos! :eek:

Ahh. Was hoping they'd be a bit more central.

*edit*

I won't be doing any cap kits any time soon. ;-)

Ahh. Was hoping they'd be a bit more central.

*edit*

I won't be doing any cap kits any time soon. ;-)

You could always try Maplin, but they can be expensive. Otherwise, they can be gotten off ebay for cheap enough, I remember o1s1n ordered a huge bag of them once for small coin.

Achievement Unlocked: Subscriber Status ;)

• Advertisement

Kris Kristofferson > Garth Brooks

Achievement Unlocked: Subscriber Status ;)

I actually only subscribed in order to change my username but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Every FAQ I've found so far says 'Changing username is only available to subscribers'.

That's grand and all but it doesn't actually tell me how to do it!

I actually only subscribed in order to change my username but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Every FAQ I've found so far says 'Changing username is only available to subscribers'.

That's grand and all but it doesn't actually tell me how to do it!

You have to request it in the super secret Subscribers forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=331

You have to request it in the super secret Subscribers forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=331

Thank you Sir! :-)

You are a gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

please please change it to EnterNow :D

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, how did you get on? Sleep much?

Slept like a log thanks :P

Was waiting on ticketmaster since 9am this morning to get garth brooks tickets for the mother's birthday present. Site kept crashing and 2 1/2 hours later, no tickets :(

Think I'll have to just keep an eye on toutless.

Master of the Universe

Was waiting on ticketmaster since 9am this morning to get garth brooks tickets for the mother's birthday present. Site kept crashing and 2 1/2 hours later, no tickets :(

Think I'll have to just keep an eye on toutless.

You mean you won't be paying €500 for one over on adverts?

Cheapskate! :p

Get her a ticket for Anamanaguchi instead.

You mean you won't be paying €500 for one over on adverts?

Cheapskate! :p

Get her a ticket for Anamanaguchi instead.

I know, I'm a horrible son!

I don't think anamanaguchi is quite her scene...

I know, I'm a horrible son!

I don't think anamanaguchi is quite her scene...

This aint a scene it's a god damn arms race...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n ordered a huge bag of them once for small coin.

Think I have them now, if you need a few PM me your address and I'll send them your way.

This aint a scene it's a god damn arms race...

Don't even get me started on fall out boy tickets....

Think I have them now, if you need a few PM me your address and I'll send them your way.

You already have my address! :-P

Cheers for the offer mate. Let me know if you want me to cover postage costs.

Master of the Universe

I bought two bags of SPDT switches that time. The bag you have and then another bag because I'd bought the wrong ones :D

That bag had some compatibility issues. I think you need ON-OFF-ON and they're some other combination which wouldn't work.

Myrddin may remember :)

I bought two bags of SPDT switches that time. The bag you have and then another bag because I'd bought the wrong ones :D

That bag had some compatibility issues. I think you need ON-OFF-ON and they're some other combination which wouldn't work.

Myrddin may remember :)

From memory, were some of them spring loaded on one side of the on-off-on end of things? So it was {on}-off-on or something?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement