Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Myrddin wrote: »
    From memory, were some of them spring loaded on one side of the on-off-on end of things? So it was {on}-off-on or something?

Ahhhh, that sounds like what it might have been.

I guess you could set it up so the spring side is at 50hz. It would basically be a fail safe so you never run the game in that ****ty refresh rate. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ahhhh, that sounds like what it might have been.

I guess you could set it up so the spring side is at 50hz. It would basically be a fail safe so you never run the game in that ****ty refresh rate. :pac:

Lol, exactly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Must check them out to see exactly what they are. Personally I don't like them for console mods, prefer the look of slide switches but the downside is they are a lot more work to do neatly.

Master of the Universe

They're certainly more discreet, but I kind of like the retro-ish look of levered ones. The overclocked MD looks insane with them all on the side :D

As long as they're not on the front. I think I showed you that modded Saturn I picked up on ebay, don't know what they were thinking :confused:

saturn.jpg

Must check them out to see exactly what they are. Personally I don't like them for console mods, prefer the look of slide switches but the downside is they are a lot more work to do neatly.

Same here, I much prefer them but there's a bit more involved in fitting them nicely. Mmmonkey has a nice trick of gutting one of the same type switches he's going to use for a mod, & uses it as a cutting template.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

I did the single switch mod myself:

http://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start

Still working away fine.

I find the black switch more discrete than the metal toggle switches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

waveform wrote: »
    I did the single switch mod myself:

http://mdpal60.net/wiki/megadrive/regionmod/start

Still working away fine.

I find the black switch more discrete than the metal toggle switches.

I'd like to do something like that but not sure how to do it with a Model 2 board.

Achilles wrote: »
    I'd like to do something like that but not sure how to do it with a Model 2 board.

Ah i didnt realize it was the model 2 you were modding. Probably best sticking to mmmonkeys guide for the model 2 then.

You can get miniature slide switches too. When i bought the standard ones i didnt read the diemensions, and got a bit of a shock at the size of them! :pac:

If i had my time back i would have went with the miniature ones for sure.

The one downside with with slide switches is that you need to make 2 holes for the screws.

You could hot glue them instead, but they wouldnt hold very well.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    You can get miniature slide switches too. When i bought the standard ones i didnt read the diemensions, and got a bit of a shock at the size of them! :pac:

If i had my time back i would have went with the miniature ones for sure.

The one downside with with slide switches is that you need to make 2 holes for the screws.

You could hot glue them instead, but they wouldnt hold very well.

What about epoxy resin? You can get that pretty cheap in Dealz. Great for sniffing... gluing stuff.

I absolutely love the parkside rotary tool i bought in Lidl btw! It was a steal at less than €25.

Havent used it hugely besides modding the megadrive, but its such a cool little thing to have.

The cordless ones are probably crap compared to dremels but this is corded so theres plenty of power. I think you'd only need a dremel if you were cutting metal on a regular basis.

What about epoxy resin? You can get that pretty cheap in Dealz. Great for sniffing... gluing stuff.

Sweet, didnt know they had it, would definitely hold it better.

I've never messed with epoxy before, the closest thing i used would be JB Weld but it was on metal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The MD2 is a bit more involved than the MD1 man, if I were you I'd pick up a cheap MD1 & do it on that first. Plus, the MD1 is better anyway :o

The MD2 is a bit more involved than the MD1 man, if I were you I'd pick up a cheap MD1 & do it on that first. Plus, the MD1 is better anyway :o

I barely have enough shelf space with the MD2 / Mega CD combo as it is.

I found a method for the MD2 that doesn't involve lifting pins so I'll give that a go first.

Worst comes to the worst and I botch it I'll pick up a Model 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I have a cheap model 2 megadrive for sale in the market place....

(Plugplugplugplug)

I barely have enough shelf space with the MD2 / Mega CD combo as it is.

I found a method for the MD2 that doesn't involve lifting pins so I'll give that a go first.

Worst comes to the worst and I botch it I'll pick up a Model 1.

Yeah the lifting pins part is the tricky bit there. Is the alt method about scraping traces or something?

Yeah the lifting pins part is the tricky bit there. Is the alt method about scraping traces or something?

Yeah it involves cutting two traces on the board alright.

I have a cheap model 2 megadrive for sale in the market place....

(Plugplugplugplug)

Nah yer ok. I've no cash at the minute really but if and when I do get some again I'll just saunter in to The Rage and pay a good €200 for a dirty dusty Model 1.

Thanks anyway though!

Yeah it involves cutting two traces on the board alright.

I think I remember doing that before yeah, certainly trial by fire though for someone learning to solder :o Grab some old or broken pcb's first though for lots of practice & you should be grand

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, how do you lift those tiny pins on processor chips?

Do you heat the pin/remove solder and then try to bend it up with a scalpel?

As a matter of interest, how do you lift those tiny pins on processor chips?

Do you heat the pin/remove solder and then try to bend it up with a scalpel?

There's a few different methods yeah. What I do is use a very fine tip/low wattage iron on the base of the pin where its soldered....& gently prise it up at the same time using a fine needle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Be careful, first time I did it doing a region mod on a NES I ripped the pin right out of the chip. I'm not sure if I broke it (I was testing it out on a ****ty PAL NES) but I made sure to be more careful on my NTSC one.

Master of the Universe

Totally unrelated, but I need your help!

Trying to sort out home insurance on this house purchase, I thought they'd just be insuring the building - no, they're asking about contents too.

Imagine the dilemma that puts me in.

'I erm... have some collections'

'Okay sir, what collections are these?'

How the hell do I put a figure on my videogame collection? Off the top of my head I said 10k (and they now have it at that on the estimate form), but on reflection I'm starting to think that's far to under valued.

If something does happen the max you can get is what you value it at. However some insurance dweeb will probably assess it and undervalue what you lost as well. It's weird. You pay more the more valuable stuff is but if you undervalue then they won't pay out more than the maximum and you can be sure the insurance companies will try to screw you over (sure it was only a sega saturn game called radiant silvergun, it says here I can get fifa 97 on the saturn on ebay for a euro).

Master of the Universe

It's a really difficult one alright. You want to cover everything, but then the chances are nothing will happen and it just bumps your premium.

And realistically, if my house did burn down, am I going to rebuy all of that? Not a chance.

But then it would be nice to get a lump sum to the value of it as if I'd just sold it all on.

Hmmm. Tricky tricky.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

And realistically, if my house did burn down, am I going to rebuy all of that? Not a chance.

That's what I was thinking - you'd never get everything back - sure do you even know all the stuff you have?

I reckon cover the more expensive items like the cabs and PCBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    sure it was only a sega saturn game called radiant silvergun, it says here I can get fifa 97 on the saturn on ebay for a euro

I had a very similar sentence in my head when walking through the customs in Dublin Airport my first time coming back from Tokyo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I had a major panic before when I thought the house I was staying in was on fire, I had a lot more stuff back then.
    We were moving out because of a few issues but mainly because the landlord was genuinely mad and some other stuff like a fibreglass chimney. So I had rented out a van, a big yoke and I had never driven one before.
    Anyway, I had stayed up all night finishing off an essay I had kept putting on the back burner and illness interfered with it as well. So I really shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a tricycle let alone two tonnes of Nissan van.
    When I pulled into the road leading up to the house, I got an awful shock when I saw smoke everywhere and couldn't see anything else. My mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that the landlord had decided to burn down the house and try to pin it on us, for some reason.
    So I panicked about my stuff and ended up ramming the side of the van into the stone pillar on the way into the house and did over a €1000 worth of damage to it.
    Turns out someone was burning nappies, in the estate behind the house!

The moral of the story I suppose is insure it for the full lot and then have that piece of mind as you never know what will happen. Or alternatively give me the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just received an interesting PM on assembler games.

I recently posted pics of my GameCube NR disc collection and of course got a lot of PM's asking to buy. However, I just got a PM from a guy offering me $100 to ship the discs to him, he'll dump them and then send them back. Of course red flags started going off straight away and I probably won't send them but has anyone ever been offered something like this? O1s1n, didn't you have some Russians after you for a proto or something? :P

• Advertisement

Just received an interesting PM on assembler games.

I recently posted pics of my GameCube NR disc collection and of course got a lot of PM's asking to buy. However, I just got a PM from a guy offering me $100 to ship the discs to him, he'll dump them and then send them back. Of course red flags started going off straight away and I probably won't send them but has anyone ever been offered something like this? O1s1n, didn't you have some Russians after you for a proto or something? :P

I think you can dump them via a softmodded Wii & an SD card anyway. I won't link to anything here, but a quick google seems to suggest it can be done

If you do want to dump them the person I'd send the dumps to would be frank cifaldi at lost levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I had a major panic before when I thought the house I was staying in was on fire, I had a lot more stuff back then.
    We were moving out because of a few issues but mainly because the landlord was genuinely mad and some other stuff like a fibreglass chimney. So I had rented out a van, a big yoke and I had never driven one before.
    Anyway, I had stayed up all night finishing off an essay I had kept putting on the back burner and illness interfered with it as well. So I really shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a tricycle let alone two tonnes of Nissan van.
    When I pulled into the road leading up to the house, I got an awful shock when I saw smoke everywhere and couldn't see anything else. My mind immediately jumped to the conclusion that the landlord had decided to burn down the house and try to pin it on us, for some reason.
    So I panicked about my stuff and ended up ramming the side of the van into the stone pillar on the way into the house and did over a €1000 worth of damage to it.
    Turns out someone was burning nappies, in the estate behind the house!

The moral of the story I suppose is insure it for the full lot and then have that piece of mind as you never know what will happen. Or alternatively give me the stuff.

Well that finally explains your sig so

Ahh sure your cabs and all your collection are only worth what, about €100?

Sure I'll take it off your hands for the typical Retro forum rate yeah.

€80 for the lot, take it or leave it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Well that finally explains your sig so

I suppose its inaccurate now though, maybe I should update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I think you can dump them via a softmodded Wii & an SD card anyway. I won't link to anything here, but a quick google seems to suggest it can be done

I've got a modded GC and SD card adapter yoke if that might be of any use to dump'em

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I've got a modded GC and SD card adapter yoke if that might be of any use to dump'em

At a glance if you want to dump discs via the console itself, you need a broadband adapter to do it....that could be different nowadays though with those modded sd adapter thingys. Either way, I wouldn't be risking them to some random bloke for a $100 deposit :o

At a glance if you want to dump discs via the console itself, you need a broadband adapter to do it....that could be different nowadays though with those modded sd adapter thingys. Either way, I wouldn't be risking them to some random bloke for a $100 deposit :o

Indeed, I'd give you at least $101 ;)

But it does seem like it could be done a modded GC and a SDGecko should yea not have a modded Wii;
    http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Swiss#SDGecko

Master of the Universe

O1s1n, didn't you have some Russians after you for a proto or something? :P

There's nothing that makes you question your hobby more than when you come home in the evening, hear something fall in the kitchen and expect to see a team of Spetsnaz bursting through the door at you with AK47s screaming 'Дай мне ПРОТОТЫПЕ!!'

• Advertisement

There's nothing that makes you question your hobby more than when you come home in the evening, hear something fall in the kitchen and expect to see a team of Spetsnaz bursting through the door at you with AK47s screaming 'Дай мне ПРОТОТЫПЕ!!'

Google Translate is hours of fun;
    "дайте мне прототип или мы вернуть вас к матушке России!"

Speaking of translations, ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you Legend of Dragoon:

L1Qx5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of translations, ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you Legend of Dragoon:

L1Qx5.jpg

Reminds me of the scene in Bruno where he gets self-defense lessons for scenarios in which a homosexual attacks him with dildos in hand.

I wanted a to find a picture for reference but don’t fancy putting the words “homosexual” and “defense” into a search engine in work.

Reminds me of the scene in Bruno where he gets self-defense lessons for scenarios in which a homosexual attacks him with dildos in hand.

I wanted a to find a picture for reference but don’t fancy putting the words “homosexual” and “defense” into a search engine in work.

Is it this scene?

64mro2.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

We could do a calendar of 12 cross dressing poses by Retr0, no nude shots though, has to be classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Is it this scene?

64mro2.jpg

I believe that is the "Dark Souls" version of that scene.

No offence Retrogamer!

• Advertisement

That pic is just timeless

I actually couldn't figure out how to find it at first.

If you do a Google image search for 'retr0gamer boards.ie' it's the first result. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    We could do a calendar of 12 cross dressing poses by Retr0, no nude shots though, has to be classy.

37125679.jpg

Whats going in with MameUI? It's in 'maintenance mode' with no active development going on or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Anyone know if a pal snes PSU will work on a jp famicom? Picked one up in japan and only getting a chance to test it now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement