Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nope, it won't.

It will however work with a Megadrive 1 PSU if you have one knocking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

o1s1n wrote: »
    Nope, it won't.

It will however work with a Megadrive 1 PSU if you have one knocking about.

I have a megadrive 2, that work?

Master of the Universe

safetyboy wrote: »
    I have a megadrive 2, that work?

Unfortunately not, they're different power supplies and have different connections. The MD1 connection is a bit bigger :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Achilles wrote: »
    I actually couldn't figure out how to find it at first.

If you do a Google image search for 'retr0gamer boards.ie' it's the first result. :D

Take out the boards.ie bit and its still the first result. ;)

Unfortunately not, they're different power supplies and have different connections. The MD1 connection is a bit bigger :(

Dammit. I'll have a root about, might have something.

Master of the Universe

There is a difference in polarity between those PSUs. The model 1 PSU is negative and the model 2 is positive.

I wonder if that adapter can address that at all, or does it just act as a passthrough device?

Edit/ looks like the post linking the PSU connection tip adapter vanished... odd

There is a difference in polarity between those PSUs. The model 1 PSU is negative and the model 2 is positive.

I wonder if that adapter can address that at all, or does it just act as a passthrough device?

Edit/ looks like the post linking the PSU connection tip adapter vanished... odd

I deleted it, as I read your posts in reverse order and thought he was looking to power his MD2 with a MD1 psu! ;)

Its only after i posted i saw the post about the SFC. :/

Was hoping nobody saw it hehe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had no idea there was a difference between SFC and a Pal SNES in terms of PSU.
    I know the US Super Nintendo has a different connector, that problem was solved with the one I owned by the previous owner splicing the NTSC connector to a Pal PSU, rather brutal but effective.

73781_2.PNG

Its one of these ones. not the SFC :)

Master of the Universe

Ah balls, apologies!

When I heard 'PAL Snes' my mind automatically put a 'super' before Famicom.

This sums it all up in a couple of sentences

The PAL NES, PAL SNES and US NES all use the same plug size and have the same AC 9V power requirement, but the JPN Famicom and JPN Super Famicom use a plug with 2.1mm inner diameter and require DC 10V, the same as the Mega Drive 1.

The US SNES is an odd one, because it requires DC 10V like the JPN Famicom/JPN Super Famicom, but it also uses a completely different shaped plug as you can see at the bottom of this page:-

• Advertisement

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=6933.0 some long winded explanation here.

I'm gonna take it apart and give it a good bath after I see if its working, they are gorgeous looking nintys. always wanted one and picked this up for 1000yen about 7€. Bargain as they were 4000yen in super potato in worse condition.

Master of the Universe

To Sera and anyone else going to Anamanaguchi tonight, enjoy!

I'm in town and decided to go - went to buy tickets online but it's sold out!

Should be a good show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yeah I was half thinking of going but remembered in in work till 9 tonight :(

Have fun all attending!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    Whats going in with MameUI? It's in 'maintenance mode' with no active development going on or something?

Check out mamepui.
    Not sure whats going on with MAMEUI.

safetyboy wrote: »
    73781_2.PNG

Its one of these ones. not the SFC :)

Man i must be tripping balls, you never even mentioned the SFC and somehow i thought thats what i saw! I'm definitely reading posts too qucikly today, and in the wrong order and everything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

bad news (for me) I've been instructed to get rid of the crt trinitron.
    I have it over in A and R market to give away.(well a token nes cart or two would be nice)

waveform wrote: »
    Man i must be tripping balls, you never even mentioned the SFC and somehow i thought thats what i saw! I'm definitely reading posts too qucikly today, and in the wrong order and everything.

dem pads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Times like these I wish the sega thread was still around but since its not I am going to post my thoughts here,

Recently and by recently I mean last year or so My love for the company is pretty low ever since their dark ages from 2004-2008. They made a comeback in 08 with valkyria chronicles and releasing yakuza 3 in 2009 I believe Things were looking up as the quality of their games were on the rise. I still firmly believe they were rebuilt to a healthy status though very different from 2010 and imo 2010-12 was their best year having just mountain tops on quality stuff from their sega vintage with release monster 4, wonder boy , castle of illusion, hotd 4 , nights etc...

Just loads of quality stuff came from the company despite peoples thoughts on them thinking the company is irreverent and broke and **** and all the nonsense you see these days even throwing at Nintendo.

My problem with Sega now is the fact unless you are Sega of America or Europe you can only manage the west and have little to no say what games that they make in japan through SOJ you have no chance getting those games to come.

Sega has a ton of great franchises on going in japan that would could be huge in the west and should be But Sega are in the green as of late making huge profits which shows from buying index/atlus, ca , relic , football manager team and spiral knights developers this generation through every growing popularity of panicko machines and how well the gaming division is doing through pc and andriods and merchandise , even now with the purchase of atlus persona series sega does not need the west and thats sad.

Yakuza died in the west once one of the developers who was the reason the game got brought here should still be around , we had them only missing the panther series on psp and kenzin.

Pso2 is reported not coming intentionally due to sega thinking it wont be profitable though the englih patch is ready.

Valkyria chronicles, 7th dragon to name a few others.

If Sega of Japan had a better relationship with the west they would easily still be number 1 to me but it seems like thats not going to be the case as long they are shelling profits

hoping for a better future

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Beyond two souls is pretty pants.

So I met o1s1n's missus in town tonight! We had brief chats and she was raging that you didn't go out tonight o1s!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Beyond two souls is pretty pants.

Complete pants. The pantsiest of pants, if you ask me.

Absolutely bleedin locked. Ordered €20
    Worth of mcdonalds food because #yolo #drunk in love.

I'm gonna marry Beyoncé.

#banned

I love you all like XO

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Did anyone else hear Greg Martin died a few weeks back?

You won't know his name, but you'll sure know his artwork! (you probably even had some of it on your bedroom wall.)

He was the man behind the original Sonic covers, as well as a whole deluge of other gaming covers. Basically played a huge part in defining a whole era of western videogame covers.

Announcement about it here along with loads of his game covers.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117907

Wow, that thread is worth it for this pre production piece alone;

GregMartinSonicSketch011_zps359c6a47.jpg

Absolutely bleedin locked. Ordered €20
    Worth of mcdonalds food because #yolo #drunk in love.

I'm gonna marry Beyoncé.

cool-story-bro.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Did anyone else hear Greg Martin died a few weeks back?

You won't know his name, but you'll sure know his artwork! (you probably even had some of it on your bedroom wall.)

He was the man behind the original Sonic covers, as well as a whole deluge of other gaming covers. Basically played a huge part in defining a whole era of western videogame covers.

Announcement about it here along with loads of his game covers.

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=117907

Wow, that thread is worth it for this pre production piece alone;

GregMartinSonicSketch011_zps359c6a47.jpg

Yeah I read that and meant to post it. That guy is really a forgotten hero of gaming. It's funny that the amount of people that have seen his artwork. I'm just thinking about the amount of mother's who judged weither a game was suitable or not based on his covers

Was checking my emails earlier. This is exactly why I shouldn't be allowed near anything while drunk.

205674306da6cedea121c1c5160710b2_zps2a234db1.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

On the same topic, popped down to the local garage earlier, saw this and thought what has atavan done now! :pac:

SW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah now, that's a bit mean

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This will interest Castlevania and Megadrive fans, the prototype for Bloodlines might get released to the public:

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?50025-Castlevania-Bloodlines-beta-prototype-%280-5-version%29-I-OWN-IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have the Cave games been re-enabled in Mame now, or is there a special version of Mame needed for these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Hi guys,

Just checked my bank account and got an almighty shock.. I'm totally broke for the month.

I just received my soldering iron and I'd love to give soldering a go. I've 'borrowed' a soldering station and solder from work but there's no sponge for the station. I also need some wire suitable for the Mega Drive and some SPDT switches.

Would there be anyone nice enough to let me rob a few from them? Obviously I don't expect it completely for free I'd be willing to swap a few games or whatever for the pleasure.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'll take a look this evening, I should have spares lying about.

Have the Cave games been re-enabled in Mame now, or is there a special version of Mame needed for these?

I've not looked into the latest version but I did hear something about cave games and the newer mame versions.
    I normally patch and compile my own version of mame and mameui (although ui won't compile for me anymore).

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've not looked into the latest version but I did hear something about cave games and the newer mame versions.
    I normally patch and compile my own version of mame and mameui (although ui won't compile for me anymore).

From further reading, it seems UI isn't being actively developed. UI64 though is :)

From further reading, it seems UI isn't being actively developed. UI64 though is :)

Are you looking to use this with hyperspin?
    Best to just use the normal MAME binary (patched to get rid of nags etc of course).

I'll take a look this evening, I should have spares lying about.

Thanks mate!

Are you looking to use this with hyperspin?
    Best to just use the normal MAME binary (patched to get rid of nags etc of course).

I'll prob use UI64 yeah, I used it in the last Mamecab I had & nev er had any issues with doing so, so unless something is off in the newer Hyperspin builds, I'll prob just continue to use UI. Is there any advantage to using the regular binary in conjunction with HS?

The nag screens don't really bother me, I think once you've done a 'left & right' on a game it doesn't reappear for that game correct?

• Advertisement

I'll prob use UI64 yeah, I used it in the last Mamecab I had & nev er had any issues with doing so, so unless something is off in the newer Hyperspin builds, I'll prob just continue to use UI. Is there any advantage to using the regular binary in conjunction with HS?

The nag screens don't really bother me, I think once you've done a 'left & right' on a game it doesn't reappear for that game correct?

Do the nag screens not come up every time? Also you still need a patched mame to use hiscore.
    The reason to use mame and not mameui is just that the guy/guys who make hyperspin say not to use it. I'm not sure why, maybe just because it's another layer that could cause problems.

What version of MAME are you using for the build?

Do the nag screens not come up every time? Also you still need a patched mame to use hiscore.
    The reason to use mame and not mameui is just that the guy/guys who make hyperspin say not to use it. I'm not sure why, maybe just because it's another layer that could cause problems.

What version of MAME are you using for the build?

Actually yeah I think you're right & the no nags persist. Been AGES since I used it, so just going from memory. Might go with the patched normal build then, cheers. Hiscore saving would be nice too I guess. The most recent build is .152 I think, so will prob go with that unless there's a reason to go with an older build? Also, is there much in compiling & patching the standard binary?

Actually yeah I think you're right & the no nags persist. Been AGES since I used it, so just going from memory. Might go with the patched normal build then, cheers. Hiscore saving would be nice too I guess. The most recent build is .152 I think, so will prob go with that unless there's a reason to go with an older build? Also, is there much in compiling & patching the standard binary?

Hmm, the general consensus is that the newer versions of MAME are not the ones to go for. But I'm not sure how accurate the hate is towards them. Seems a lot of games no longer run properly. You'd need to check it out.
    I'm running .143 or there about on my cab. Could be .145, not sure.

As for compiling, it's handy enough. I posted a howto ages ago here or on retrovia that should be still valid. But google it maybe for the latest info.

I'd stay away from the newer versions of Hyperlaunch if I were you. They've introduced some cool new features but it's being a bitch on my bartop in regards to mame.

It's throwing out MAME validity errors... launching the game then losing focus and going back to Hyperspin... all with MAME still running in the background.

MrVestek wrote: »
    I'd stay away from the newer versions of Hyperlaunch if I were you. They've introduced some cool new features but it's being a bitch on my bartop in regards to mame.

It's throwing out MAME validity errors... launching the game then losing focus and going back to Hyperspin... all with MAME still running in the background.

Which version of Hyperlaunch? My hyperspin is running fine and I updated it a couple months ago. Have the released a new version since?
    Are ya using MAMEUI :0)

Which version of Hyperlaunch? My hyperspin is running fine and I updated it a couple months ago. Have the released a new version since?
    Are ya using MAMEUI :0)

Using Hyperlaunch 3 and no I'm using a 64bit build of mame that's been patched for no nag screen and hiscores.

I'm sure it's just something simple but I haven't had the time to go through it yet.

I'm having enough of a pain in the arse trying to get Dreamcast and PSX games working on it properly.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Using Hyperlaunch 3 and no I'm using a 64bit build of mame that's been patched for no nag screen and hiscores.

I'm sure it's just something simple but I haven't had the time to go through it yet.

I'm having enough of a pain in the arse trying to get Dreamcast and PSX games working on it properly.

Yeah the DC and Naomi can be a bit of bother to get running properly. PSX should be straight forward though as it's just a simple emulator and link setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Cabs don't really have the controls necessary for N64 or PSX or anything past the Saturn era really ? Maybe for a few shooters with simple controls but anything designed for analogue sticks is going to suck..

Cabs don't really have the controls necessary for N64 or PSX or anything past the Saturn era really ? Maybe for a few shooters with simple controls but anything designed for analogue sticks is going to suck..

A few games work well on the arcade controls. As you say, shooters etc. not forgetting fighters as well.
    But I rarely play anything on my cab except arcade games.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be putting the entire PSX library on there so we'll see! (I totally own all of it too... promise!).

I don't plan to sit down playing through an entire PSX game on the cab but it'll be nice for shooters and fighters etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement