Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Myrddin wrote: »
    Have the Cave games been re-enabled in Mame now, or is there a special version of Mame needed for these?

They sure have. Plus it's a new driver which supposedly emulates better than before. Couple of newer games are now working plus a few of the older ones re dumped.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll have to have a look at that, not sure what version Mame I'm running and I dread the idea of having to reconfigure Mame on my cab.
    Is there a painless way to do this, or am I doomed to suffer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Forecast says lots of suffering and doom heading your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Cabs don't really have the controls necessary for N64 or PSX or anything past the Saturn era really ? Maybe for a few shooters with simple controls but anything designed for analogue sticks is going to suck..

Agreed. Though as Steve says there's the odd shooter/fighter which may be of note. Not sure I'll bother at all though, Mame, 16bit & below should be more than fine on this end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any chance of a link to a no nag copy of the cave enabled Mame?

The PC Engine/TG 16b consoles are great in a cab, so many really great shmups.
    The GBA works well too.

My parcel motel package has surfaced!
    They didnt realize they were looking for an over sized box even tho I told them several times.
    anyway getting it tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed on the bezel being ok.
    Altho my biggest concern was loosing the coin door,
    There like rocking hore poo !

urbanledge wrote: »
    Altho my biggest concern was loosing the coin door,
    There like rocking hore poo !

Ah sure stick it on the free play :)

Knew a rocking hore once, but that's not a suitable story for here....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ah sure stick it on the free play :)

I mean the actual door not the mechs!
    Essential to the look of an nintendo cab.
    Im tight on cash so the last few bits are going to have to wait.:mad:

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to a no nag copy of the cave enabled Mame?

These guys are always on the ball. Spanish aside.

http://insertmorecoins.wordpress.com/category/emuladores/mame/

Makes more sense :)

If they are that rare might be worth pouring a bit of silicone over it and making a nice mold, I'm sure some folks would settle on a fibreglass door if they were stuck !!

Makes more sense :)

If they are that rare might be worth pouring a bit of silicone over it and making a nice mold, I'm sure some folks would settle on a fibreglass door if they were stuck !!

Ive been toying with the idea of building a second DK cab shell at the same time im making my own.Specifically to sell to help fund the project.
    What would you pay for a painted shell?
    I reckon 250 or so?
    any interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sparks43 wrote: »
    1219784882919by0.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTA-hKTJW-LpnZ88OmJAaSK5keEK1eIitU42dGQ1mkpT1iEPANOsA

that cycle thing can exists all it wants , I will always love sonic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This article shows that if you want to be one of the worlds best fighting game players then don't have a videogame console at home because you'll play it all the time and that isn't healthy.

Instead
    have a seperate appartment housing your consoles and arcade cabs.

http://kotaku.com/world-class-street-fighter-player-doesnt-have-a-game-c-1515591621?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This article shows that if you want to be one of the worlds best fighting game players then don't have a videogame console at home because you'll play it all the time and that isn't healthy.

Instead
    have a seperate appartment housing your consoles and arcade cabs.

http://kotaku.com/world-class-street-fighter-player-doesnt-have-a-game-c-1515591621?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

After hitting the gym, he heads over to his practice stable and plays from 6pm to around midnight, so he can catch the last train home.

So he doesn't have it all in the one place as he'd be 'playing all the time', but he plays games from 6pm until midnight every day.

Well that makes zero sense :pac:

I reckon he brings home loads of poon and doesn't want them to seek his geekery in full swing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

o1s1n wrote: »
    After hitting the gym, he heads over to his practice stable and plays from 6pm to around midnight, so he can catch the last train home.

So he doesn't have it all in the one place as he'd be 'playing all the time', but he plays games from 6pm until midnight every day.

Well that makes zero sense :pac:

I reckon he brings home loads of poon and doesn't want them to seek his geekery in full swing.

'I'm a Street Fighter master. I've been told I'm good with my fingers...'.

Yeah total smooth operator I can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

In proper A+R News my 10 year old daughter has completed Zelda Link between worlds.

Proud doesnt even come close to how i feel.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

• Advertisement

Posted this in the All Things Retro forum, but i reckon you guys would be ideal candidates to try and unravel the mystery for me too!

Can anyone help identify this cartoon for me?

I reckon it was out in the late 80s.

And was basically set in asia, where these kids / teenagers were constantly chasing after a Chinese antique ornament of a tower that vaguely looks something like this:

292393.jpg

I think the ornament may have had special powers, and there was bad guys trying to get their hands on it too.

It was quite an elusive item for them to get their hands on, and they spent many episodes trying to get it.

I remember the kids distinctly watching it float away down a stream of water at the end of one episode possibly in a town or urban area.

It was not an anime style cartoon as I definitely dont remember the characters having overly big eyes, and i think it would have been in english, not sure if it was dubbed though.

It may have been on TCC but I'm not entirely sure.

That's my vague recollection of it!

waveform wrote: »
    Posted this in the All Things Retro forum, but i reckon you guys would be ideal candidates to try and unravel the mystery for me too!

Can anyone help identify this cartoon for me?

I reckon it was out in the late 80s.

And was basically set in asia, where these kids / teenagers were constantly chasing after a Chinese antique ornament of a tower that vaguely looks something like this:

292393.jpg

I think the ornament may have had special powers, and there was bad guys trying to get their hands on it too.

It was quite an elusive item for them to get their hands on, and they spent many episodes trying to get it.

I remember the kids distinctly watching it float away down a stream of water at the end of one episode possibly in a town or urban area.

It was not an anime style cartoon as I definitely dont remember the characters having overly big eyes, and i think it would have been in english, not sure if it was dubbed though.

It may have been on TCC but I'm not entirely sure.

That's my vague recollection of it!

The mysterious cities of gold?

I thought of mysterious cities of gold but didnt know the name.
    only seen that once or twice as a kid and never knew the name but always wanted to see more!
    I might down load it for the larf and have a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They've actually made a brand new series of Mysterious Cities of Gold this year.

There's also some sub par games out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Weird story here about the Resident Evil composer. Apparently he never composed any of the music for Resident Evil or Onimusa, he hired a eh... ghost composer(???) to do it.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/resident-evil-composer-admits-not-actually-composing-anything

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Weird story here about the Resident Evil composer. Apparently he never composed any of the music for Resident Evil or Onimusa, he hired a eh... ghost composer(???) to do it.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/resident-evil-composer-admits-not-actually-composing-anything

That is insane. I was thinking it was just those two games, but it looks to be everything he's composed in the last 20 years! :eek:

Mamoru Samuragochi, a composer dubbed the "Japanese Beethoven" due to his apparent ability to overcome his own hearing difficulties and still compose beautiful music, has admitted that someone else has been writing his music for nearly 20 years -- at the very least since 1996.

Hey guys,

Small plug here but a fan of my Raspberry Pi tutorials has the following Kick Starter going at the minute:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tbopfalcon/gamer-logic-retro-t-shirts-limited-edition/posts

Looks interesting anyway, and if he gets funding he's promised to do up my idea of a Shenmue T: Go to local bar: Ask where the sailors like to hang out.

Check it out! :-)

The t-shirts would be much nicer with out the logo stuck on each of them.

I'll pass on the feedback.

• Advertisement

Quite like the Golden Axe one.

Master of the Universe

Definitely agree. They're good fun but the smaller logo does detract somewhat from them.

Might be better off putting a logo like that on the back?

MrVestek wrote: »
    The mysterious cities of gold?

Nope!

Was actually looking at the opening on a retro cartoon website last night.
    This one was definitely set in Asia.
    It must not have been that popular as nobody seems to be able to remember it!

There was also 'Spartakus And The Sun Beneath The Sea' I remember them looking for ancient artifacts in a lot of episodes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Definitely agree. They're good fun but the smaller logo does detract somewhat from them.

Might be better off putting a logo like that on the back?

Agreed, maybe put the logo on the back up near the neck line or something.

Also, 'Find Leaf Become Raccoon' should be in brown I thought. Although not sure how good that would look on the black background.

DinoRex wrote: »
    There was also 'Spartakus And The Sun Beneath The Sea' I remember them looking for ancient artifacts in a lot of episodes.

Thats a good guess too but isnt the one sadly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Tell the chap doing up the t shirt as well just to be a bit weary of using sprites directly from games. 99% of the time you'll be grand and go under the radar. But unless its a direct parody he can get slapped with all sorts of copyright ****e. And when you do there s no real comeback

Source:
    I've had Lucas film and valve onto me about designs in the past

I've linked him to this thread. Wether he decides to view it or not is his choice I suppose. If you join the following Facebook group though you can talk to him yourself.

(For those of you that have Facebook that is).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/566555726755634/

This Resident Evil composer story gets weirder and weirder. Apparently a school music teacher was behind the compositions. Mamoru Samuragochi threatened him with suicide if he stopped composing and to top it off he's apparently not deaf at all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-06-music-school-teacher-behind-onimusha-composer-revealed

Move over Luigi, 2014 is the Year of Sonic:

Bfzv5rOCMAAR52W.jpg

(2006 will always be the year most associated with Sonic I'm afraid.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Some brilliantly insane Japanese toy company is releasing collectible figurines of the two Japanese anti-piracy mascots this summer. I think this is the first time I'm going to have to purchase action figures since I was twelve. The jpeg potential is also off the charts.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Move over Luigi, 2014 is the Year of Sonic:

Bfzv5rOCMAAR52W.jpg

(2006 will always be the year most associated with Sonic I'm afraid.)

Bwahahaha! I can't wait until Sega hype this up and **** out a Sonic 06.

I might aswell just give up on modern sonic games , they at least something with colours and generations but we are gone back to square one again.

Im moving to mushroom kingdom and only visiting green hill zone here on out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I'm heavily considering getting this laptop.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-ENVY-17j053ea-17andrdquo-Laptop-Silver/315683/104.10

If anyone knows if I can find a similar laptop for cheaper, or with better specs for the same price, let me know.

I might aswell just give up on modern sonic games , they at least something with colours and generations but we are gone back to square one again.

Welcome to the dark side, we have cake! (not a lie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Considering it's called Sonic Boom, here's hoping they reuse one of Sonic CD's better elements.

Given the teasers, they're going with a multiplayer experience more like 3D World, or they've been hitting the whizz and're trying to resurrect the Heroes formula.

Seen the trailer , it looks like a ratchet and clank clone , made by bigredbutton and sanzaru who worked on the ratchet and clank , sly and jax and daxter games

I lost all hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sega exec: "OK, we need to rejuvenate the Sonic franchise somehow. Come back in three months and show us what you've got"

*Three months of brainstorming, prototyping, and late nights later*

Sega exec: "Show us what you've got"

*Big Red Button developer dramatically pulls the cover off the canvas, revealing...*

ku-xlarge.jpg

Developer: "It's Sonic. With a scarf!"

*stony silence for a few tense moments*

Sega exec: "**** it. Whatever."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm heavily considering getting this laptop.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/HP-ENVY-17j053ea-17andrdquo-Laptop-Silver/315683/104.10

If anyone knows if I can find a similar laptop for cheaper, or with better specs for the same price, let me know.

Window 8 :eek:

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Why do they look like they decided to start dressing up as mummies but then lost interest?

FGCkyeo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Knuckles' bandages do make sense for the fact he punches sh*t all the time, but Sonic's make it look like he's still not nailed down the notion of shoelaces.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement