Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Unless they do a Megaman 9 type thing with the Sonic franchise, this will be yet another thing to pass by for me. Seriously, is nobody in Sega asking "So, what were the much loved Sonic games like?"...the answers are there staring them in the face. I suppose they tried that with Sonic 4 though, & couldn't even get that right.

Retro the franchise right back to its roots, or else watch it become more & more generic than it actually is nowadays...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It also looks like Sonic and Knuckles are wearing blue and red clothes that just look like their skin / fur. Particularly strange since Amy is fully clothed.

It's nitpicking, but I don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Taped up hands make some sense in but who the **** has ever tapped up the outside of their shoes!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Unless they do a Megaman 9 type thing with the Sonic franchise, this will be yet another thing to pass by for me. Seriously, is nobody in Sega asking "So, what were the much loved Sonic games like?"...the answers are there staring them in the face. I suppose they tried that with Sonic 4 though, & couldn't even get that right.

Retro the franchise right back to its roots, or else watch it become more & more generic than it actually is nowadays...

I just watched the trailer...don't know why I even bother posting :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fecking dubstep in the trailer. And what is with those dreamworks eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Your move Nintendo:

wiORpw5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Sega exec: "OK, we need to rejuvenate the Sonic franchise somehow. Come back in three months and show us what you've got"

*Three months of brainstorming, prototyping, and late nights later*

Sega exec: "Show us what you've got"

*Big Red Button developer dramatically pulls the cover off the canvas, revealing...*

ku-xlarge.jpg

Developer: "It's Sonic. With a scarf!"

*stony silence for a few tense moments*

Sega exec: "**** it. Whatever."

tumblr_m4zjzoWDuj1rvs1mmo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Is there not a sonic due for next gen too? Didn't see those systems referenced at end of trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

As a Sonic fan I am as ever on the fence about new Sonic stuff.

The new TV series looks interesting but I'm not sure how it could be any worse than the game it looks like it's based on.

Can't be any worse than Sonic X anyway.

So anyway I picked up one of these wall panels recently:

1796472_10203333889850784_22513563_n.jpg

I'm planning to use it on the bartop's back panel as my current external connectivity setup was shockingly ill thought out. It's basically just a hole with a PC's front panel's USB ports and audio ports sticking through and attached to it with epoxy resin.

I'll be removing that and filling the holes with wood filler.

Anyway started the first phase of things tonight by spray painting the panel black. (I could not for the life of me find a similar panel like this in black at all).

1604759_10203374964197617_736362505_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think this Sonic game looks like a true return to form for Sonic Team and I can't see them making any missteps with such a precious franchise. This could be the best Sonic game since Sonic 3!
    What can go wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Looks like they're targeting the hipster market by giving Sonic a scarf!

They'll reveal a picture of him wearing Ray Bans soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Window 8 :eek:

Kill it! Kill it with fire!
    Well, I have little choice as it is.

Just realised we all gave Link a bit of a free pass for wearing scarf for his new game:

UfVaVt.jpg

Thats a Zora scarf...it's allowed

• Advertisement

Also just noticed that Link has taken an arrow to both knees in that image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

DinoRex wrote: »
    Also just noticed that Link has taken an arrow to both knees in that image.

ace-ventura-spear-legs-o.gif
    ace-ventura-spears-2-o.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You lot who know,I'm going to finally buy Dishonored, to ad to my collection of good games I've yet to play, which is better, the PS3 or 360 version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I got the PS3 version recently, seems ok so far.

I always tend to go for the PS3 version though on multi platform games as I prefer the controller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You lot who know,I'm going to finally buy Dishonored, to ad to my collection of good games I've yet to play, which is better, the PS3 or 360 version?

I think your main question should really be;

'Which version will have the highest resale value?'

:pac:

• Advertisement

I got it and all the DLC for €3.19 on Steam. Only played about 2 hours of it, can't say I'm crazy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

NSFW or around kids

NSFA (not safe for Atavan)

Very very funny though :D

Edit*

*you should know better

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got it and all the DLC for €3.19 on Steam. Only played about 2 hours of it, can't say I'm crazy about it.

It takes a while to get into it if you are playing a stealth game and limiting the amount of people you kill. Took me a long time to get into it but when I did I really started enjoying it.

On consoles apparently both versions are the same. The PC version is superior but it's not the most extravagant of ports, it's very bare bones.

Lads get rust if you can!
    Its such a laugh !

Feck it, bought the PS3 version, I'm sure it'll be great, whenever I get around to playing it....
    Keep an eye on the Marketplace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

after a year of playing , nearly 40 hours and only 4 more missions to do I can safely say Fire Emblem awakening is one of the best game I have ever played

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Are the Wireless Wavebirds for the Gamecube worth buying lads (and Sera)?

Anyone use these wireless mini keyboard mouse combos?

Thinking it might be useful for mame in a cab scenarios.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=221313158794

Rii-Mini-Wireless-Keyboard_2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Rii-Mini-Wireless-Keyboard_2.jpg

I have one of those for my candy. Not bad yolks. Has a laser pointer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Augmerson wrote: »
    Are the Wireless Wavebirds for the Gamecube worth buying lads (and Sera)?

Don't have any myself but I've heard they're really great and worth picking up if you have the fundage available.

• Advertisement

Yup, I've got one and they are very handy, both for the Gamecube and the Wii, assuming it's not one of the crappy ones without GC controller ports.
    Only issue is no rumble feature, if you can live with that you're laughing.
    Also, they don't seem to use much in the way of batteries, which is great.
    Seems to be plenty at reasonable prices on ebay

Ya got something similar a while ago for the HTPC, its a rechargeable one so well handy :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Used the exact same with my cab. Think mine has a light rather than a laser pointer though. Handy for the raspberry pi too.

Tried popping in the new Mame.bin and, yup, Cave games run a lot smoother, those that run at all that is.
    Ibara isn't running at all, I generated an XML from the Mame.bin and Ibara wasn't in the new list, so I tried the old XML instead and no dice there, click on Ibara and it hangs.
    Is there an issue there?
    Does anyone else have this problem, or similar?

edit
    Pink Sweets isn't working either.

The game doesn't register as having the wrong files, it just hangs on the menu screen.

Ketsui works just fine.

So I've heard a lot about how terrifying and great Dead Space 2 is since release and decided to give it a go since I'd ignored it for so long. Well I'm not impressed at all with it. It's really rather dull.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So I've heard a lot about how terrifying and great Dead Space 2 is since release and decided to give it a go since I'd ignored it for so long. Well I'm not impressed at all with it. It's really rather dull.

I thought it was a decent game but it annoyed me because they removed all the great survival horror moments in the first game

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Tried popping in the new Mame.bin and, yup, Cave games run a lot smoother, those that run at all that is.
    Ibara isn't running at all, I generated an XML from the Mame.bin and Ibara wasn't in the new list, so I tried the old XML instead and no dice there, click on Ibara and it hangs.
    Is there an issue there?
    Does anyone else have this problem, or similar?

edit
    Pink Sweets isn't working either.

The game doesn't register as having the wrong files, it just hangs on the menu screen.

Ketsui works just fine.

Ibara working fine for me on mame 152. Its the old rom i've had for ages.
    There is a new dump of Pink sweets. Might be worth trying but the old one does load for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I thought it was a decent game but it annoyed me because they removed all the great survival horror moments in the first game

I loved it too. It's not as good as the first one, but it's definitely a great game. That opening scene is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'm on a bit of a holiday in London. No real game shops in range for this trip but I did find a mame machine today.

It was in the corner of some hipster vintage shop. While the girlfriend looked at ex pimp fur coats I utterly destroyed some chap wearing braces on SF 2. 3-0...I felt like the most bad dude ever walking out of there. Then I Colin Salmon sat beside us in a sushi bar haha

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I gave up on the first one, too bad scary. Really it was, too old for all them frights..

I gave up on the first one, too bad scary. Really it was, too old for all them frights..

The first one was fantastic, a deliberate homage to good scifi/horror, but the second one seemed to forget the horror, forgot the original use of audio and light to create disorientation and instead gave us an over the shoulder, third person shooter.
    Now, it was beautifully made, the one strength I loved was the extended fiction of the world the game was set in, with the religious zealots and so on, but the game play was just one corridor after another, followed by a set piece.
    I believe the third game is even more Gears of War in space than Resi in space, and I have yet to play it myself, maybe when it's a tenner...

Deadspace was probably the best successor to Resident Evil 4... but pretty much ruined by those horrible turret sections.

I only went back to it last year on the PC and was finally able to get pas them thanks to using the mouse.

Gave up on Deadspace 2 after about an hour, didn't like it at all and I hear 3 is even worse again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Deadspace was probably the best successor to Resident Evil 4... but pretty much ruined by those horrible turret sections.

I only went back to it last year on the PC and was finally able to get pas them thanks to using the mouse.

Gave up on Deadspace 2 after about an hour, didn't like it at all and I hear 3 is even worse again.

I only remember there being one (maybe two) turret sections in Dead Space. You had to blow a bunch of asteroids out of the way before they clipped the ship, from what I can recall.

Found the turret section completely impassable on the PS3. I certainly wasn't having enough fun at it to put in the time to get by it.

Normally it's awful sliding block puzzles that stop me from playing a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Was in the rage earlier, read here the prices were bad but didn't realise they were 'the world has ended and retro games are the only form of currency' bad. 50 quid for dkc1 boxed, you're having a laugh

• Advertisement

I wasn't mad about the first Dead Space either. There's some people that say it's much better than any of the Resident Evil games. I'd be more inclined to say that after 4 Resident Evil slipped up so badly that it managed to let a poor imitator get a lot more praise than it deserved.

It wasn't a bad game and it was mechanically sound it's just that after the first few sections you had seen all the game had to offer. I got some enjoyment out of it and I have to say the sound design was aboslutely phenomenal but if Silent Hill was still being handled by Team Silent and Shinji Mikami gave us another Resident Evil I wouldn't have given it a second look. It was a huge rip off of Resident Evil 4 and although it allowed strafing and moving while shooting Resi 4 was built around it's control scheme and provided far more interesting and dynamic combat with its enemies than Dead Space could hope to achieve.

Found the turret section completely impassable on the PS3. I certainly wasn't having enough fun at it to put in the time to get by it.

Normally it's awful sliding block puzzles that stop me from playing a game.

Spend ages getting past that section and its early enough in the game if I remember. Got stuck in some room here a huge yoke just batters me over and over and over.. so gave up.

I think my Naomi dim board is dead :(
    Could anybody loan me one to test it?

I honestly had no problem with the turret section at all.
    The Wii game was pretty good too, though on rails.

is super mario 64 on the ds worth picking up ? , I want to give it a proper go

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement