Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    According to a misguided few Nintendos current console is still close to the PS1!
    Actually had a chump espousing that the PSU wattage reflected the "power" of the console, and hence why the WiiU was pitiful.
    Honestly, he said that, no joke.

Well 'power' is measured in Watts so technically he's correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

The graphics on my energy saver bulbs are no where near as good as the graphics on my regular bulbs.

DinoRex wrote: »
    The graphics on my energy saver bulbs are no where near as good as the graphics on my regular bulbs.

Add some scanlines with a black marker, that'll fix them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Isn't that Dinorex's hat and scarf?
    What are you saying Steve?

Ehhhhhh, I'm saying.........

Another hat will solve this awkward situation :)

exm0.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ehhhhhh, I'm saying.........

Another hat will solve this awkward situation :)

exm0.jpg

You have the dog wearing Sera's hat now!?
    You're one sick Steve, Steve...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Wow, not sure if this was posted here or not but it looks like a certain nemesis of some here, Flexymoons, has been removed lock, stock and barrel from Adverts.
    Obviously some of his practices have met with the ire of the mods, finally...

cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

A dog with a scarf...are you sure he's not the new Sonic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rather than re-employing Shadow the Hedgehog as the Poochy, now Sonic Team can just employ Poochy!

Rather than re-employing Shadow the Hedgehog as the Poochy, now Sonic Team can just employ Poochy!
    I thought that aligator one was the Poochee.

A dog with a scarf...are you sure he's not the new Sonic?

Come on! look at those eyes and face. It's clearly a lady dog.
    Daisy would be very upset :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone get this error when loading a cart on a DS? (Attached)

Doesn't let me continue.

Game purchased in Rage (Yoshis Island), other games work fine.

Ideas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like they sold you a repro. Check the cart connectors. I bet it doesn't even say Nintendo on the board above them. Rage Are a whore for flogging repro games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Looks like they sold you a repro. Check the cart connectors. I bet it doesn't even say Nintendo on the board above them. Rage Are a whore for flogging repro games.

Don't even test their games? What are people getting for the premium the pay onto of the games market price? Certainly isn't a cleaning service, stuff is manky like an auld mans hanky.

Come on! look at those eyes and face. It's clearly a lady dog.
    Daisy would be very upset :)
    Doesn't help that she's dressed like a male, postmodern beatnik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Anyone get this error when loading a cart on a DS? (Attached)

Doesn't let me continue.

Game purchased in Rage (Yoshis Island), other games work fine.

Ideas?

Maybe just a dead battery?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe just a dead battery?

GBA games don't have batteries they have SRAM. If the SRAM is dead it's a sure sign its a cheap knock off.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    GBA games don't have batteries they have SRAM. If the SRAM is dead it's a sure sign its a cheap knock off.

SRAM is volatile memory so needs some from of battery/capacitor to keep it alive.
    EEPROM maybe ?

Master of the Universe

Some GBA carts do actually have save batteries along with the SRAM chips.
    These are all legit carts and not pirates.

gbacomp.jpg

Would be worth opening it up and checking.

SRAM can corrupt too by the way. I have a Sonic 3 cart which no longer saves because of corruption.

Hmm didn't know about the batteries in those carts. Still if the save ram goes on a gba cart it's almost always a bootleg I find.

I'm getting things mixed up as well, meant nvram not SRAM.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, might just bring it back instead of opening it up.

Good information, ill check the obvious bootleg giveaways.

EDIT: Yeah they should really test them FFS

Thanks,
    Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Just having a look at something on ebay

I was just seeing what mega drive games I need to get and both addams family games are on my list.

Just spotted one there for £80, its a seller than has everything overpriced. But the thing is the games he has listed now are the same as the ones from well over a year ago, maybe even pushing 2 years, that I can remember. Now maybe he is selling some of them but take a look at the history of offers on this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STREETS-OF-RAGE-3-III-SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-GENESIS-BEAT-EM-UP-GAME-COMPLETE-PAL-NEW-/350421018804?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item5196b868b4

The offers are dating back to 2010!

I just really fail to understand why sellers do this, surely its costs him a bomb to keep listing that one game on ebay

Master of the Universe

Apparently some have batteries, some have SRAM chips and some even have eproms :eek:

I've had a look at some of the pirate cart internals and they're fairly blatantly pirates.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRs1mDmy1Ll8xaancxpY-PeKmPBm3cTgBd9tXsWKU1SQ8sLU79k

Best thing to do seems to be to look out for the white 'Nintendo' lettering on the PCB alright.

Master of the Universe

Thanks everyone, might just bring it back instead of opening it up.

Good information, ill check the obvious bootleg giveaways.

Thanks,
    Ed

As a matter of interest, see if the Nintendo logo is on the PCB. You don't need to open it up

154239483_730b048afbbfd455ad22b1e89d0731a5362b73dd.jpg

Master of the Universe

Just having a look at something on ebay

I was just seeing what mega drive games I need to get and both addams family games are on my list.

Just spotted one there for £80, its a seller than has everything overpriced. But the thing is the games he has listed now are the same as the ones from well over a year ago, maybe even pushing 2 years, that I can remember. Now maybe he is selling some of them but take a look at the history of offers on this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STREETS-OF-RAGE-3-III-SEGA-MEGA-DRIVE-GENESIS-BEAT-EM-UP-GAME-COMPLETE-PAL-NEW-/350421018804?pt=UK_PC_Video_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item5196b868b4

The offers are dating back to 2010!

I just really fail to understand why sellers do this, surely its costs him a bomb to keep listing that one game on ebay

Probably to appease the wife :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I think that megadrive game is a case of "I saw a copy sell for x amount so it's definitely worth that and I'm going to get it no matter what". Without taking into account demand or current market value. Sellers like that annoy me so much.

For example, recently a popular pokemon youtuber put up a video saying she was selling some stuff on eBay. One of the games she was selling was pokemon card GB 2 which was a japan only sequel to the pokemon trading card game on the game boy. In japan carts only sell for about €30 and on eBay they usually went for €80. But this youtubers one, because she was popular, sold for something like €160. Now there's a few more copies after popping up all for about €120+.

Re Fake GBA games, the pokemon GBA games use batteries but only for the in game clock. I don't think there's any games that uses the battery for keeping save games unless it's a pirate.

• Advertisement

It seems the Silent Hill Arcade game has been hacked to work in Windows. While I'm not a fan of the game it's good to see it preserved in some way. Apparently the Castlevania arcade game is the same hardware so it might end up emulated the same way.

Can someone tell me about this Coinops 5 and 6 that's out there for the Xbox, and what can it run and what are the limitations?
    Thanks Braintrust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think that megadrive game is a case of "I saw a copy sell for x amount so it's definitely worth that and I'm going to get it no matter what". Without taking into account demand or current market value. Sellers like that annoy me so much.

For example, recently a popular pokemon youtuber put up a video saying she was selling some stuff on eBay. One of the games she was selling was pokemon card GB 2 which was a japan only sequel to the pokemon trading card game on the game boy. In japan carts only sell for about €30 and on eBay they usually went for €80. But this youtubers one, because she was popular, sold for something like €160. Now there's a few more copies after popping up all for about €120+.

Re Fake GBA games, the pokemon GBA games use batteries but only for the in game clock. I don't think there's any games that uses the battery for keeping save games unless it's a pirate.

That aside, did you see how much her copy of Ruby went for? It was on 240 when I last bothered to check in with it.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    That aside, did you see how much her copy of Ruby went for? It was on 240 when I last bothered to check in with it.

I think €260/280 which is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Right, more pics of this alleged bootleg copy of DS cart.

Front label does look a bit wonky.

No receipt :( sad face

Right, more pics of this alleged bootleg copy of DS cart.

Front label does look a bit wonky.

No receipt :( sad face

100% bootleg I'm afraid. If they won't take it back try trade it into them.

Definite repro. Dodgy label, wrong colour and quality plastic and the non branded motherboard is the biggest give away.

Go back to them with it, they should give you a refund.

Thanks chaps, my first mistake was trusting them.

If anything I've learned what to watch out for.

Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thanks chaps, my first mistake was trusting them.

If anything I've learned what to watch out for.

Ed

This?

rage.jpeg

:D;)

54dw.jpg

Anybody see this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/751733865/smartscope-reinventing-the-oscilloscope?ref=users

looks good!
    As much as Id like to I couldnt justify it tho

Interesting enough, will have to wait for reviews to come in before believing all the claims though, EEVBlog usually do a decent job of tearing claims to shreds.

They're right about the software side though. I've a Picoscope USB scope and the software is excellent, its a 20MHz version (and actually does 20Mhz) so probably good enough for me for the moment.

Also got a Salee Logic analyser and the software sucks... looks great but can't even program a useful trigger on it :(

Interesting enough, will have to wait for reviews to come in before believing all the claims though, EEVBlog usually do a decent job of tearing claims to shreds.

They're right about the software side though. I've a Picoscope USB scope and the software is excellent, its a 20MHz version (and actually does 20Mhz) so probably good enough for me for the moment.

Also got a Salee Logic analyser and the software sucks... looks great but can't even program a useful trigger on it :(

Ahem....

NEERRRDDD!!

Thank you for your attention ;)

Guilty as charged :)

Oh EEVBlog has already ripped it a new one...

• Advertisement

I see the Shenmue trademark has been cancelled due to Sega not using said trademark :(

Silly silly Sega :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I see the Shenmue trademark has been cancelled due to Sega not using said trademark :(

Silly silly Sega :confused:

Hurrah! I can finally create the sequel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Think they'll still be holding onto the copyright for a whiles yet.

Flappy Bird running on my Vectrex. Listen to that glorious buzzing :0)
    Video quality is a bit crap, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

Wondering if anyone can help me out.
    I am trying to remember a movie i saw as a kid. Its about this guy that wore a trench-coat and and loads of hand held games tucked inside. like those crappy tiger games. In the end of the movie a steamroller drives over all his games crushing them. i cant remember for sure if it was a movie or some tv show episode.

Flappy Bird running on my Vectrex. Listen to that glorious buzzing :0)
    Video quality is a bit crap, sorry.

Feck!
    That reminds me I have to fix my Veccy controller!
    ArseArse!

So I'm thinking I might need to put off my hiking trip in the Ukraine for a little while :0/

iexd.jpg
    x0z9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

You sure that's not from the set of this.

1656400_1465816200299627_234260711_n.jpg

Feck!
    That reminds me I have to fix my Veccy controller!
    ArseArse!

Thats reminds ME I have to fix my Vectrex

• Advertisement

So I'm thinking I might need to put off my hiking trip in the Ukraine for a little while :0/

iexd.jpg
    x0z9.jpg

Wow, is that on the XB1?
    I'll wait for the PS4 version, apparently it's at 1080p and 60fps!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement