Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Went to see the Robocop reboot last night.
    Will I ever learn?
    It was awful! Not Total Recall awful, at least Oldman turned up to do some acting and Keaton got to do some of the Keaton stuff he does so well but the rest? The rest was forgettable, what a pity.
    No Clarence, ED 209 is hopeless, no ultra violence, little or no media satire, lots of focus on Murphy the broken man, father and husband and not enough Murphy the cop.
    I should have known better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Sounds like was more of a...

*puts on sunglasses*

Robo Copout...

YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Haven't they changed Officer Lewis into a man as well? Heaven forbid there be a female character that isn't a love interest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A totally underused Chalky White, and they have one of the worst racial jokes I've heard in a while, after Robo is coloured a tactical black, Lewis states, "at least you're the right colour now", deary deary me.
    The film isn't as bad as it could have been, but that's like saying Sonic Lost Woods isn't as bad as Sonic 06.
    When you rewatch the movie, as I did recently, you still get the way the music works from scene to scene, with the news segments, the family moments, action and so on, this has none of the body horror of the original, aside from two scenes that are actually quite impressive, when we get to see what's left of him.
    Aside from that, and the aforementioned Oldman who seems to be acting in a different, much better film, we get a lot of shiny shiny tripe.
    Even Jackie Earle Haley is totally underused, and hopeless.
    It actually comes across like one of those SyFy movies, you're waiting on Dean Cain or Eric Roberts to turn up, there really isn't much here that couldn't have been in a mini series, though at least the freedom from the 12a cert would have given us a more visceral film.

I saw an Irish made science fiction film at the film festival the other night called 'Last Days on Mars'

It was probably the film Prometheus should have been. That said it was pretty damn cliched but at least the plot and the characters actions vaguely made sense.

Felt like a nice throw back to 70s science fiction films before Star Wars. But you've pretty much seen it all before. Also giving a character claustrophobia has got to be some of the laziest writing imaginable.

• Advertisement

I saw that as well, not bad at all, felt like an episode of Dr Who though!
    The special effects work was local as well AFAIK, and it's well done as well.
    Europa Report was pretty nice last year as well, plenty I've seen done in old Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits episodes, not to mention 2010!
    But we'll done anyways.

Saw another Irish science fiction film called Earthbound last year too (not based on the game) but it never seemed to go on general release.

It was very good with some amazing visual effects shots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got paid for the first time since before Christmas. Feeling like this:

raptor-jesus-rave-camp.gif

Now to hit ebay and blow it all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Eye of the Tiger ala dot matrix printer

A clear credit card is a dangerous thing.
    Just booked flights to Japan!
    30th bday present for myself. Strangely tho I'm paying for myself and the missus! I'll be taking orders for ashtrays ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'd love to head over myself, wasn't somebody who posts here over there not to long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Whats a clear credit card ?

Enjoy the holiday:)

Whats a clear credit card ?
    Enjoy the holiday:)
    A really rare thing!
    Going to take in the grand prix too.
    There's alarm bells ringing in the aib credit department
    :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not to be nosey but how much do flights to japan cost?

Been all over china and most of Asia but that appeals to me.

Bout 1400 for two. Trains ticket is the stinger at 300+ each for 2 weeks. Going for 2 1/2.
    Safetyboy is just back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

urbanledge wrote: »
    Bout 1400 for two. Trains ticket is the stinger at 300+ each for 2 weeks. Going for 2 1/2.
    Safetyboy is just back.

Multi JR Pass

Milla-Jovovich-with-her-M-008.jpg

Edit: Hmm, actually I'd say thats what you got. Prices have gone up since I purchased one :0)

300 quid for train tickets !! Jebus.

Looking forward to seeing your haul afterwards ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I will take a suitcase of ashtrays anyway!

Keep one and head on over to AO to sell them for €50 euro a pop! If you could include some genuine Japanese fag ask in them aswell that would be great!

So will I take this as you not being up for going to the slam? :P

Might be of interest as a lot of us have these for "Da Collections".

http://gizmodo.com/heres-why-ikea-is-discontinuing-everyones-favorite-sh-1527126312

The new Kallax looks to be more of the same, which is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Are you taking orders? :P

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A clear credit card is a dangerous thing.
    Just booked flights to Japan!
    30th bday present for myself. Strangely tho I'm paying for myself and the missus! I'll be taking orders for ashtrays ;-)

Brilliant! Enjoy. Have wanted to do the same for years.

I'm also turning 30 this year. Found my first grey hair yesterday, the same day I picked up the keys to my first house. :eek:

Suddenly feel very mortal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Brilliant! Enjoy. Have wanted to do the same for years.

I'm also turning 30 this year. Found my first grey hair yesterday, the same day I picked up the keys to my first house. :eek:

Suddenly feel very mortal!

I turned 30 last month, had an odd few gray hairs for a while now though. Broke a rib, torn my groin and sprained my ankle in the few months last year, so I was feeling my mortality last year.
    Up to that never really injured my self bar a stubbed toe, which when you realise I've been hit my a car three times, is quite surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

Bout 1400 for two.
    Safetyboy is just back.

For reals?

So that's 700 return each?

Not bad at all. Thailand cost me about 1100 for return flights although they were the shortest flights we could get, and it was new years.

Yep 665 each. 3 or 4 hour stop over in dubai. 19 hours total with eitihad.
    Nice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Japan's much more reasonable to actually get to than I think a lot of people imagine. Shop around and you'll get a decent price. We went with Finnair a few years back and we were pleasantly surprised how cheap it was.

It's when you actually get over there you'll be hard pressed to keep your bank balance healthy ;)

Turning 30?
    Yeah, it's just getting a bit older.
    Soon now people will presume that you are buying your video games for your kids and will pester you with offers of assistance to pick a game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm seriously considering japan myself this year. Think it's working out at about €1500 for 2 weeks including flights and hotel with ebookers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was considering Japan this year as well since I've a good job for once but only until May. My brothers wedding has ruined all that though.

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering japan myself this year. Think it's working out at about €1500 for 2 weeks including flights and hotel with ebookers.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057120684/6

Ebookers deals thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I would urge anyone going to get the hell out of Tokyo. It's a wonderful city with so much to see, but the rest of the country (and beyond just day trips to Kyoto and Nara) offers so many different experiences that it's a waste to limit yourself to the metropolis!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Turning 30?
    Yeah, it's just getting a bit older.
    Soon now people will presume that you are buying your video games for your kids and will pester you with offers of assistance to pick a game :(

Since turning 35 I've found people have started holding doors open for me.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Since turning 35 I've found people have started holding doors open for me.

Do you get called sir on a regular basis?

Do you get called sir on a regular basis?

Yes. It's a step up from being called 'love' when I had longer hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I feel awful in this thread.
    Only finding greys now you're 30, I'm grey since I'm 18 and I'm 23 now.
    Most people going or have been to Asia, the furthest I'll get from home is the UK as usual.
    Then again, I dunno if I could travel that long on my own.
    tumblr_mvyxhl1tay1skfqn6o1_400.jpg

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    I feel awful in this thread.
    Only finding greys now you're 30, I'm grey since I'm 18 and I'm 23 now.
    Most people going or have been to Asia, the furthest I'll get from home is the UK as usual.
    Then again, I dunno if I could travel that long on my own.
    tumblr_mvyxhl1tay1skfqn6o1_400.jpg

I'll go anywhere as long as I don't have to go through America, Chicago in particular. Or through Cork. Don't mind Shannon as I can bypass Linerick ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I'll go anywhere as long as I don't have to go through America, Chicago in particular. Or through Cork. Don't mind Shannon as I can bypass Linerick ;)
    Well I've only been to the UK and Poland
    Maybe I might get lucky and see my bff in the Netherlands, haven't been somewhere new in 5 years. Not fussy on airports, but Shannons small, nothing can be as bad as Bydgoszcz aiport, I don't think it even had a vending machine.

I'm not well travelled myself, started out well with a trip to the colonies, the US as you'd know it, when I was 17 but since then it's been places as far flung as the UK, Disneyland Paris and Sligo.
    Quite the jetsetter that I am!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not well travelled myself, started out well with a trip to the colonies, the US as you'd know it, when I was 17 but since then it's been places as far flung as the UK, Disneyland Paris and Sligo.
    Quite the jetsetter that I am!

To be fair to yourself, travelling by steamboat must've taken an age back in those days. :p

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yes. It's a step up from being called 'love' when I had longer hair.

I used to be 'love' or 'honey' in work but then I grew a beard and grew out my curls. Now all the customers in work call me by my first name but only like 10% of them know it. Kevin, John and Eamon are my most regular names now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

My travels have been mostly sun holidays so not well travelled yet.

I'd more than likely be going to japan on my tobler, although I'm not particularly worried about that as I l can go where I want when I want and not have to worry about what other people want to do.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    To be fair to yourself, travelling by steamboat must've taken an age back in those days. :p

Actually I tagged along with Erik the Red, nice guy, as much wild boar and deer as I could eat, though towards the end of the voyage it was all the smaller crew members who lost the toss you could eat.

I'd love to go to Japan, but I have a brother who lives there and he's kind of an arse, so it's best to avoid the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Is there any way of moving Virtual Console games between 3DS and Wii the same way that you can with PSN gmaes between PS3 and PSP?

I used to be 'love' or 'honey' in work but then I grew a beard and grew out my curls. Now all the customers in work call me by my first name but only like 10% of them know it. Kevin, John and Eamon are my most regular names now

Me: Hello Thomas (store I work in)?
    Customer: Hello Simon, frank, Matthew, William etc never Thomas or anything sounding like it. I'm just the 'Man' otherwise.

Just started playing the new Strider game. It's pretty damn good.

Just watch out, it's 64bit only on windows... The OS on my main gaming PC wouldn't take it. Luckily it runs well on my laptop.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Me: Hello Thomas (store I work in)?
    Customer: Hello Simon, frank, Matthew, William etc never Thomas or anything sounding like it. I'm just the 'Man' otherwise.

The closest I get is an old man who calls me 'Burt' instead of Ben

I think we are all 'the man' at some point. Children messing in the street outside must see me in their nightmares with the ammount of mothers who threaten them with the fear of my wrath!

The Voice of Mario - Charles Martinet Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Eudb_Tqg8&sns=tw

He sounds like mad craic !!

It reminds me a little of this:

he-mancosmickey.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement