Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro General Chat in Karkariko Village Tavern: Live Ocarina Music

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The original shin megami tensei is coming to ios and android in English. I'd prefer 3ds but this will do and maybe we'll get a release of smt2 and if.

Edit Android only. Hope it's not region locked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Remember that risque 3DS game artwork from a few weeks back? Well, at least the publishers have a sense of humour about it:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Doge

The amount of activity in the A&R marketplace sub forum lately is quite staggering!

Never seen so much for sale at once on here before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Something interesting.
    Japanese cable provider KDDI is launching a streaming games service allowing subscribers to J:Com and JCN to play such titles as Pro EVO Soccer, World Rally Championship and Sonic Adventure DX.
    And it's launching this week as well.
    We'll ahead of the proposed Sony Playstation Now service.
    Interesting times.
    Not so interesting here though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    lS16cGkm.jpg

Unfortunately it only has a top speed of 2.5mph, I'm pretty sure I walk at a speed of about 4mph and I am not a fast walker.

Strip out the motor, stick a lawnmower engine in there, gear it right, the stick the kid on it and keep the A+E dept open on Googlemaps... Good times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Those tyres don't look to have much traction... think of the powerslides!

Bet the little git has a Blue Shell stashed there somewhere, just waiting for the over confident to reach the final straight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I know some people were talking about this a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Monkeykube wrote: »
    I know some people were talking about this a while back.

Looks good.

Steve will be happy with the scan lines option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Just got a spam email from Rob Fulop, I guess even people you look up to are just mere mortals at the end of the day :-)

• Advertisement

I went to see Anchorman 2, the new R rated cut and it was great fun.
    Not sure it was any more crass than the first release and I was gutted that they cut the Doby song :( Buy they did restore the musical numbers!
    They also cut, for no good reason, most of the shots from inside the crashing RV.
    But it was worth seeing again, and about 7 other people, the number who were in the theatre with me, agreed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,759 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nyph()maniac was obviously sold out then? :P

Hey, be as highbrow as you like, I bet there were as many mentions of male and female "parts" in Anchorman 2 as there were in Von Triers latest release ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Flappy Bird on a ZX81 - anyone try this yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm gonna be checking out the Neo Legend retail shop in the coming week if anyone wants me to check anything for them.

Just came across a Japanese game for the PC called Metal Shinobi Assassin.

As the name suggests its like Metal Slug meets Shinobi.

Theres a download link in the info, free to play but quite short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

just as a general query, is there a lot of work involved in setting up japanese versions of consoles over here in relation to plugs, tv cables, etc?

just as a general query, is there a lot of work involved in setting up japanese versions of consoles over here in relation to plugs, tv cables, etc?

A Stepdown is normally all they'll need, as the Jap devices use 110 and we have 220.
    That said, some older machines can have AV troubles, coming with only a Japanese RF, like the Famicom for instance, in these cases a mod is the only way, though this is commonly done and, when done right, yields excellent results.
    Most consoles will have a scart or AV adaptor out there, just make sure around the time of purchase.
    In the case of a PC Engine you can get hung up on controllers, as it has a different controller plug/socket to the US one.

Some japanese machines are region free or can be made to play other regions, most typically US, by snipping a few tabs or modifying the case, like the N64 or Snes, but if you want to run PAL many will need a mod chip, a trace on the PCB broken or a jumper setting altered, and thats just the start of it.

Some portables, like the PSP, come with an international charger, and it readily takes any voltage, which is handy, the PSP, GB, GBC, GBA and most DS games are also region free, though some DSi specific titles are locked to the region.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    A Stepdown is normally all they'll need, as the Jap devices use 110 and we have 220.

Jap is 100v not 110v, US is 110v.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Jap is 100v not 110v, US is 110v.

I stand corrected
    But for practical purposes you buy a step down, it does both.
    EU voltage goes from 220 to 230v doesn't it?

Look at the watts the device is likely to pull through the step down, I had one running with an imported Gamecube and the thing melted it's casing it got so hot, wasn't rated high enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

What a crazy night.

First I went to the point to see ellie goulding, despite lot having a ticket. Managed to get one at the door. She was great. Straight after I went to a club to meet my friends but the bouncers said it was too full and to come back after 12, which was a blatant lie so my awesome friends got me in. The bouncer said I was very drunk, which I wasn't. Then we went to an over 25s club which had carpet on the floor and was like a granny's flat. The lesbian bouncer on the door was hitting on me so I got in but we left after one drink, then we went to the gypsy rose which was fantastic and many alcohols were consumed.

Not sure what the point of this story is but yeah, interesting Saturday nonetheless.

What a crazy night.

First I went to the point to see ellie goulding, despite lot having a ticket. Managed to get one at the door. She was great. Straight after I went to a club to meet my friends but the bouncers said it was too full and to come back after 12, which was a blatant lie so my awesome friends got me in. The bouncer said I was very drunk, which I wasn't. Then we went to an over 25s club which had carpet on the floor and was like a granny's flat. The lesbian bouncer on the door was hitting on me so I got in but we left after one drink, then we went to the gypsy rose which was fantastic and many alcohols were consumed.

Not sure what the point of this story is but yeah, interesting Saturday nonetheless.

Yeah right! :pac:

Anyone know or remember if Atari 5200 games were plastic wrapped when new?
    Or was it just a plastic seal that had to be broken?

Have been offered a job lot of supposedly new and sealed games, but am a bit dubious about them.

Ask los Lobos.
    Ireland number 1 atari nerd ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Haha no idea since she never landed on these shores, would give my left nut for one though

• Advertisement

Alphaeagle owns one, so I'd PM him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I started playing No More Heroes on Wii last night. I think I very love this game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

deathrider wrote: »
    I started playing No More Heroes on Wii last night. I think I very love this game!

It is very good indeed! Must go back and finish it actually.

Anyone played the sequel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm going feckin' spare with no internet at home. It feels like the 90s... and not in a good way :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm just giving some of the consoles I'm putting into storage a quick blast of 220v. My god the Megadrive, Mega Cd & 32X is one finnicky system. The 32X as much as I love it, is just awful, what were they thinking? I've seen better graphics from a stock snes...

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's such a shame that the 32X wasn't developed more - just to see what it could actually do.

Half the reason the games are so ****e is, well - because the games are so ****e :( they're rushed pieces of crap.

I'd love to see what it's actually capable of. 32X Virtua Racing and Fighter are great, so there has to be at least some potential in that little mushroom.

I was reading up the other day on the development of 32X Doom. The original prototype versions were actually full screen and the level of detail was much closer to the PC version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently John Carmack begged Sega to let him put Doom on the 32X and worked his ass off porting it but it ended up compromised because he had to release it before it was finished.

It has the same dual CPU set up as the Saturn just with a different video controller. It was also polygon and not quad based so it's far more capable than most of the games make it out to be.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm going feckin' spare with no internet at home. It feels like the 90s... and not in a good way :(

janeway2.jpg

Mr. X? Hmm, shall I cross the final frontier?

Virtua Racing is just brilliant on the 32X, stunning stuff and, you're right, who knows what the system might have produced given the quality being churned out on the Megadrive itself.
    Feck it anyways.

Master of the Universe

I wonder would it have handled Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder? :pac:

Alien versus Predator was one of the canned titles which I'd like to have seen the most. Especially as it had no other home ports.

If it'd been good and close to the arcade version then I reckon that could have sold a lot of systems.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I wonder would it have handled Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder?
    You sick twisted puppy
    Alien versus Predator was one of the canned titles which I'd like to have seen the most. Especially as it had no other home ports.

If it'd been good and close to the arcade version then I reckon that could have sold a lot of systems.

Yeah, that'd sell it alright, a selection of CPS1/2 titles would have been outstanding.

Some good fan translation news. Ever 7 and Remember 11 got fan translations. They're made by the 999 and zero escape developer and according to fans are much better.

Also a snes record of lidos war which looks pretty cool got an English fan translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I was on a stag for the weekend,

I know thats nothing to do with games but I think I'm the only man ever to go to one and come back with a fairly serious haul of games for free

I'll post up in the something new thread later

Nerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Sd2UAzE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nerd
    OI! Quit shtealin' me thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Codemasters just tweeted this:

x8CRI03.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

For anyone who watches Moone Boy, the next episode is supposed to be about Martin wanting a Mega Drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

New US 3ds announced looks nice. yoshi3dsxl-590x330.jpg

Monkeykube wrote: »
    New US 3ds announced looks nice. yoshi3dsxl-590x330.jpg

Damn
    Now I have to change my trousers...

• Advertisement

Are we getting it? It's stunning! I love green and Yoshi! I wonder if I could sell my 3ds to retr0 and put it towards that...
    But I want a ps3 for aaages too...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement