Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdresser / Beautician - how much do you tip??

• 17-07-2013 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭

Well everyone

How much do ye tip -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 lover_of_life

Hi op depends on if I'm happy with the results. normally i tip between 2 and 5 euro. Would love to know from others if this is a bit scabby, Its just i find the treatments are normally very overpriced .

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

I don't usually tip the beautician. I usually tip the hairdresser a fiver, but her prices are really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

I don't tip, but I've also never stuck with a hair dresser so maybe I would if I found someone I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I rarely tip. I'll only leave a tip if they did a really good job. I never have good luck with hairdressers tho (usually I leave feeling that the cut is just ok). When I do get a great cut I'll usually leave a fiver extra.

The beautician I go to works out of her house and is quite cheap so I usually round up to the nearest 10 euro. Usually leaving about 7/8 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Yeah thanks got that everyone. I give €5 to hairdresser but wondered if that was mean. Never give beautician a tip though & lately feel I should ( no reason why I feel like that ) it's just me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I never tip. I go to the most expensive hairdresser in town, I can't afford to part with any more money!

I don't really agree with tipping to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't tip. I go to a style director at a large salon and the cuts are €80 a go. I fail to see the need to tip in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

5euro if im happy with results. If its a cheap treatment usually i'll tip 1 or 2 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

It all depends on the price and the results. If I was very happy with my cut/colour I would tip €5, especially if I knew the girl/guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

To have my colour done and a trim, usually costs me upwards of €80 so I don't always tip. Perhaps every second or third time, I'd give the hairdresser a fiver.

Same with the beautician. Always go to the same one, but the prices are pretty expensive so I don't tip each time I go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭yellowcrayon

I usually tip a fiver if im reasonably happy with the cut/colour. The other day I got my hair done and it came to 45e so I gave 50e.. I usually round up to the nearest ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Thanks everyone.......seems €5 is pretty standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My hairdresser and my beautician are both self-employed, so I don't tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

Honey-ec wrote: »
    My hairdresser and my beautician are both self-employed, so I don't tip.

I'd be more likely to tip if I knew they were self employed? Why would you not because of that?

I'd be more likely to tip if I knew they were self employed? Why would you not because of that?

Because all the money is going directly into their business, whereas an employee of a salon is on a salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I don't tip at all.

Never heard of people doing it until a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I don't tip either. I've been getting a mobile hairdresser around for the last 2 years, she gets cash in hand from me so I don't feel a tip is necessary. In saying that i didnt tip in normal hairdressers either. Nobody tips me in my job, so don't see why anyone else should. (am I mean? probably!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I never tip. I just can't afford to.

One time I was going away (few years ago) and the beautician came in on her day off just for my appointment (she had only just opened and was still trying to build her business) so I gave her a tenner tip I think because she had come in on her day off and she is the best beautician in town, in my opinion, I've always been 100% happy with her.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Nobody tips me in my job, so don't see why anyone else should. (am I mean? probably!)

My boyfriend always says this and that this is the reason he doesnt tip very often.
    I dont think you're mean at all.. I dont get tipped in my job so I probably shouldnt be so generous with my tips when the hairdresser/beautician is probably on the same hourly rate as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

You're not supposed to tip the proprietor of the business, it's just one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

my haircut costs me 12 euro 2 at the back and sides ,light trim on top,eybrows trimmed,and hair washed and gelled afterwards if I have time,always leave the girl with a fiver change from a twenty,so 3 euro,get it done once a month.....she says most fellas don't bother tipping her.sound girl she is too.:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

My hair usually costs €140 to do so I don't tip and I usually have someone doing the hair dye and someone else doing the cut and straightening.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I get my hair done every 5-6 weeks, usually in the 160 range and I tip €10 because it takes ages and her poor arms are worn out.

If it's one doing the colour and another doing the cut I tip €5 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Silverfish wrote: »
    I get my hair done every 5-6 weeks, usually in the 160 range and I tip €10 because it takes ages and her poor arms are worn out.

If it's one doing the colour and another doing the cut I tip €5 each.

I have to ask why though?You're paying a small fortune (when you think about it) just to get your hair done.

I don't tip taxi drivers,hairdressers or in restaurants (unless in a big group or the service is really REALLY brilliant). I just don't get it. I know it's meant to be an appreciation of "good service" but I work just as hard all year round too and don't get tips, so I am baffled why these 3 main professions are the one's that do get them.

None of them are cheap to begin with anyway :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

€160 every 5 weeks!!! Holy moly

anniehoo wrote: »
    I have to ask why though?You're paying a small fortune (when you think about it) just to get your hair done.

I don't tip taxi drivers,hairdressers or in restaurants (unless in a big group or the service is really REALLY brilliant). I just don't get it. I know it's meant to be an appreciation of "good service" but I work just as hard all year round too and don't get tips, so I am baffled why these 3 main professions are the one's that do get them.

None of them are cheap to begin with anyway :confused:

Working in the service sector is ****ty. Dealing with customers at that level can be an absolute nightmare. For taxi's you get people giving you hassle, dodging fares and they often get themselves into situations where they might get hurt. Waitresses deal with people who treat you like you are something that was scrapped off the bottom of their shoe. Hairdressers deal with a similar sort of nightmare, people who are never happy. They can do exactly what the customer asked and still get hassle off them because they decide they don't like it now that it's done.

If somebody serving me can deal with all that crap and still provide me with a stellar service with a smile on their face then I think they deserve a token of gratitude on my end.

You could argue that it's unfair that other ends of the service sector don't get tips, fast food attendants, shop cashiers etc but I don't feel the need to tip them because they are dealing with me for too short a period of time to make an impression.

Delivery drivers are the only exception, I'll usually always tip them a euro or two. As long as they don't do the whole stalling change shuffle dance, are rude or take ages. That's probably mostly because I've done that job before and I know how crappy it is.

Delivery drivers are the only exception, I'll usually always tip them a euro or two. As long as they don't do the whole stalling change shuffle dance, are rude or take ages. That's probably mostly because I've done that job before and I know how crappy it is.

Ive never tipped a delivery driver? Do you mean one of the guys who drives the DPD or DHL vans?... I only tip taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I give €5 to colourist and €5 to the girl who cuts my hair. I never tip beauticians or delivery drivers. I'll often tip the taxi man €.50 - €1 if that's all the change i'd be getting

Ive never tipped a delivery driver? Do you mean one of the guys who drives the DPD or DHL vans.

No, the guy/girl who delivers your Chinese/pizza/whatever.

• Advertisement

Ive never tipped a delivery driver? Do you mean one of the guys who drives the DPD or DHL vans?... I only tip taxi drivers.
    Honey-ec wrote: »
    No, the guy/girl who delivers your Chinese/pizza/whatever.

Yup, those drivers.

Yup, those drivers.

Oh, sorry :P I thought you meant DPD or DHL drivers.

When I get a takeaway there's only one fella I tip, and thats only because he sees us in the living room and just passes the food through the window to save us going to the door... lazy, i know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I don't tip. My hairdresser owns her own business. The beauticians are great but I always pay by card and rarely have cash with me so I wouldnt know how you would tip them anyway in that case (would you ask them to add €5 to the total or what).
    The way I look at it their good service means I become a regular customer which means they get more business and more money. I also am someone who recommends any service I find really good so I am again getting them more referral business so I think thats enough without also tipping each time I go in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I don't tip because I can't afford it. I tend to go to the top places to get my hair and beauty treatments and it costs me an arm and a leg, so I can't afford a tip at the end.

I worked in a shop for years where I could easily spend 30 minutes with one customer, and where I had to do everything to the customer's demands, and I never ever got a tip. So I am not a huge fan of tips in the service area because I think there's often an unnecessary discrimination between who "deserves" one and who doesn't.

Advertisement