Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skydrive Problem....

Options
  • 17-07-2013 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm using Google Drive, Dropbox, and Skydrive for various different things.

I decided to upload all my music to Skydrive, so bought extra storage. It's around 50GB.

I downloaded and installed the desktop app, copied over all my music, but when I access skydrive from my android phone, no music has been uploaded.

A bit confused as to what the problem could be?

I uploaded files in a similar way on Google Drive, no problem... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

This thread may be redundant.

Ok, now I can see my folders, but no music in them? I can see the album folder, but with no files, unless I have to wait, and they have to sync/upload?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are certain file types restricted perhaps?

When you go into it from your android phone, do you see the folder size is what the folder size of what's on your pc but no music? If so the issue if probably that above.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SkyDrive is handy but doesn't Google Play have a music streaming feature designed precisely for music, and is a free alternative to things like iTunes Match?

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/29/google-blows-apples-itunes-match-out-of-the-digital-music-water-in-europe-first/

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

You probably just have to wait for it to sync before they're available on other devices.

you say you're also using Google Drive. Why not just use Google Music as Overheal suggested? It's designed exactly for this.

I could do. Silly me went away and bought extra storage for skydrive!

When I open skydrive on the laptop, all files are in the folders, but not yet when I access it on my phone, so I assume it's a case of waiting for it to sync everything, which using wireless, could take a while!

I'll check out those other options anyhow....

Edit: Ok, so I'm also going to go ahead and use Google Music. It's in the process of adding my music files from my hard drive. So just to double check. All my music is going to be stored in the "cloud" so to speak. If my hard drive were ever stolen, I'll have them all on Google Music?

Edit Update: So, like an eejit, I went away and paid for storage when I could have done it for nothing on Google Music

Not to worry, you live and learn.

Looks like trying to upload all my music via wireless, will take forever, so I guess the best way would be to hook up via a cable and do it that way....

• Advertisement

There was a less expensive purchase option too. Why 50? :P

Now that I look though I had 25GB to begin with and 20GB for having Office 365. I heart being an early adopter.

You can still use that storage but for the android streaming I'd do other things with it. Skydrive is mainly gonna be good for photos and documents, though it can be a handy place to keep your music synced up between your windows PCs. Saying that though, in Windows 8 the music tile app (at least in 8.1) automatically syncs/streams the DRM free chunk of your music.

I jumped the gun, and went for what I thought would store all my files....

It seems the problem is going to be actually copying the files to skydrive....

seachto7 wrote: »
    I jumped the gun, and went for what I thought would store all my files....

It seems the problem is going to be actually copying the files to skydrive....
    download the skydrive OS plugin

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/download

Afterwards all you have to do is move the music to your SkyDrive folder and it will handle the rest over a couple hours based on your connection. Doing it from the browser sounds painful.

Unfortunately neither SkyDrive or DropBox simply let you right click the Music Library and force it to cloudsync. Not sure of a service that does, probably Carbonite or something but thats more for disaster recovery. And more expensive

What you can do to simplify your setup though is migrate your Music to the SkyDrive folder, than tell your Music library thats where the files have moved to, so that your music isnt duplicated needlessly. In the future if you get other Windows devices (esp. Tablets and ultra's) that don't have enough storage to sync everything you can tell them individually not to sync the music from the skydrive, just the documents etc

Yup did that and I see hundreds of my music files have little blue round arrows, which means it must be syncing....

correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

SkyDrive imo is best used for photos. If you keep all your photos in the SkyDrive folder on your PC then they all sync up automatically. You can use the various SkyDrive apps to get access to your entire photo library wherever you like, plus you have the benefit of the excellent SkyDrive website which is great at organizing, showing thumbs, creating slideshows etc. Sharing is also a strongpoint.
    and at the end of the day the only thing you'll really miss if your laptop ****s itself is photos and some docs; keep them all on SkyDrive (or anywhere else for that matter) and sleep easy

Hi

So, I was thinking (stupidly) of trying to copy all music files to the cloud, but realise it will take a long time! So, on another thread, a person suggested I could, with a few tweaks, load the files up to Skydrive by running a cmd prompt.

If you see page 2 or 3 of this thread, it will explain it better: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056995298&page=3

seachto7 wrote: »
    Hi

So, I was thinking (stupidly) of trying to copy all music files to the cloud, but realise it will take a long time! So, on another thread, a person suggested I could, with a few tweaks, load the files up to Skydrive by running a cmd prompt.

If you see page 2 or 3 of this thread, it will explain it better: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056995298&page=3
    So you're scripting it so it doesn't slow down your internet while it syncs?

Interesting. I don't have that problem though my internet is 1mbps upload and most services around here are even higher than that.

You can uncheck the option in SkyDrive settings (in taskbar) that uploads in batches to reduce bandwidth usage.

I don't see the option in the taskbar at all?

see attached .mht recording to access setting

Advertisement