Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Records for St Fintans Asylum

• 17-07-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all

Recently found out that one of my relatives entered St Fintans asylum sometime in the 1920s (we think anyway-he was living in Laois and apparently, family members used to walk to visit him once a week-this is the only place I could find that would fit the bill?)

Anyway, I can't find his death record so I'm hoping to find some records from his time in St Fintans-where would I be able to get this kind of info?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

The hospital still seems to be open so I'd ask there first. If he died after the 1920s, and particularly if you're not in a direct line of descent, whether you'd get access is questionable. If he died as a patient it would be unusual for the death not to be registered as this would be the hospital's responsibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭yaya*

CeannRua wrote: »
    The hospital still seems to be open so I'd ask there first. If he died after the 1920s, and particularly if you're not in a direct line of descent, whether you'd get access is questionable. If he died as a patient it would be unusual for the death not to be registered as this would be the hospital's responsibility.

Thanks CeannRua -have a letter typed up and ready to send off to them! Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 seanladd27

St Fintans (Asylum) Hospital is almost closed, except for a few remaining souls.

At the moment they have a man (part-time) putting their records in order, but I have no idea what will happen them after that.

Possible National Archives.

In general a lot of families wish to keep their family members records, private, and perhaps they might choose to do as the census, and only use initials for names.

What would be the name of the family?
    ======
    Jack
    Portlaoise

Advertisement