Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civilization 5

• 17-07-2013 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I am considering Civ 5 but I am not sure if someone can help me, I absolutely loved civilization revolution on the xbox and I loved it, Is it worth getting?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Click me > :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,310 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I am considering Civ 5 but I am not sure if someone can help me, I absolutely loved civilization revolution on the xbox and I loved it, Is it worth getting?
    Thanks

If you like revolution there's no reason you won't like 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Civ 5 dwarfs Revolution in terms of detail, you'll love it :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,310 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

EnterNow wrote: »
    Civ 5 dwarfs Revolution in terms of detail, you'll love it :)

I was in the same situation as the OP having only played Revolution before and it seems much more in depth alright, but the basic mechanics are the same so because you kind of know the score from Revolution it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Really great games, spent 11 hours playing the tutorial scenario earlier this week :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's much more complex than Revolution, which is not necessarily a good thing. I certainly like it that way, but it won't suit a more casual attitude. I've had a lot of fun with it anyway. The expansions are pretty good, especially the newest one; Brave New World, which adds a whole bunch of new things, including more politics in the late game and a revamped cultural victory mechanism.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was in the same situation as the OP having only played Revolution before and it seems much more in depth alright, but the basic mechanics are the same so because you kind of know the score from Revolution it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Really great games, spent 11 hours playing the tutorial scenario earlier this week :o

Ah yeah, Revolution is still Civ alright, but heavily condensed. It still gives a good basis & starting point :)

OP Civ V was part of the Steam flash sale yesterday morning

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Civ5 is highly recommended, but only with the expansions (the first being 'Gods & Kings', the second, 'Brave New World' only came out the other week). The default game without them is OK, but it lacks a lot of polish and the G&K expansion really kicked it up a level. Haven't tried the new DLC yet so can't comment on it, but I believe it improves the game further.

As mentioned, it's not a casual game & requires a lot more from the player to juggle its complexities - it's also hideously addictive and with a game like Civ5 there's no such thing of "just playing for an hour" :) It does reward persistence and once you get to grips with the learning curve you'll not look back.

Now is the best time to try it & the DLC, as they're floating around the Steam Sales atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah yeah, Revolution is still Civ alright, but heavily condensed. It still gives a good basis & starting point :)

OP Civ V was part of the Steam flash sale yesterday morning
    I know I wasn't around I missed it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I have literally spent over a month of my life playing Civ 5.

How depressing is that?:o

It's very easy to binge on and play 100 hours in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Thanks guys really appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

and its on the daily sale today for 7 .50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The gold version is up, too. Think it was a tenner. I don't think Brave New World will go back on sale. Think I heard somewhere it was a mistake it going up at a reduced price. I've set it to download, but my connection is crap. I'll leave the download going over night and see where it is then. Looking forward to playing it. I played the demo a few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is civ 5 like total war in a way with all the diplomacy and skill tree research. Iv never played a civ game but iv recently got back into total war shogun and quite enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Is civ 5 like total war in a way with all the diplomacy and skill tree research. Iv never played a civ game but iv recently got back into total war shogun and quite enjoy it

There are similarities to the strategy portion of the Total War games, but there's nothing along the same lines as the real time battles you find in TW. The Civ games are all turn based grand strategy, and much more in-depth than the strategy elements of TW. Where the only way to play the TW games is via combat (I guess the clue's in the name!) the Civ games allow multiple very viable ways to win - military, diplomatic, cultural, scientific. You could play an entire game spanning the breadth of human history without once fighting a war, if you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got the Gold version, brave new world seems like it should be 1/10 what they're charging for it.

I'll wait till the next sale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Took a while to get into the play cycle, but once playing awhile it is seriously addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I continue on my legacy. Picked up my game from last week. I am American who is hated by every single nation. :D
    Just had Ethiopia razed to the ground and Germans are next. Polish and persians are completely on other side, but I am already bringing in forces there, just to be on safe side as I got really nicely backstabed in my last game. Not doing that mistake again! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Try playing paradox games, dunno wtf is goiing on. played for hours havent even moved anything or done anything just reading all the ****ing panels. and looking at the map views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Spunge wrote: »
    Try playing paradox games, dunno wtf is goiing on. played for hours havent even moved anything or done anything just reading all the ****ing panels. and looking at the map views.

You need wiki for those.
    Foolishly once tried to play as Ireland in Hearts of Iron II. Total disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I started playing some Civ 5 lately an love it. I quite enjoyed Civ 4 but bought it about 5 years too late so I never got that into it. I have to say it is highly addictive though. I used to dislike the turn-based nature of the game but you soon realise that when you end up with as many units and cities as you do later in the game, it's a much nicer way to play just because it takes out so much of the stress and lets you know what's going on at all times.

• Advertisement

I love this game. There are a few things I'd have liked to see tweaked that cropped up and I thought "that should be different" but I kinda forget them now. I'd make a list and talk about them, but when playing the game, making lists of stuff like that isn't a priority. You have things to do :P

Anyway, anyone else having issues with the achievements not unlocking? I know that I should have a lot of the ones done, but just as a for instance, the winning the game as Russia. I got the cultural victory, but see I don't have it unlocked. That's just one example of many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I love this game. There are a few things I'd have liked to see tweaked that cropped up and I thought "that should be different" but I kinda forget them now. I'd make a list and talk about them, but when playing the game, making lists of stuff like that isn't a priority. You have things to do :P

Anyway, anyone else having issues with the achievements not unlocking? I know that I should have a lot of the ones done, but just as a for instance, the winning the game as Russia. I got the cultural victory, but see I don't have it unlocked. That's just one example of many.

So your laptop can handle it then? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

I finished my first game yesterday and im afraid to start another, hours seem like minutes, it is so addictive just a great game
    I finished it with a science victory i think with the mohican and it didnt unlock either, but no matter, well worth the money, think i paid like 8 euro for the g&k version a few weeks ago was on the bargains thread

Jernal wrote: »
    So your laptop can handle it then? :D
    My laptop probably could, but its feckered at the moment. It has an i3 processor but the graphics card is better than the i3 integrated from what I remember. My PC is an i5.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Pushtrak wrote: »

If you're playing with mods acheivements are disabled, or at least they used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Has anyone played the 1066 scenario? I was playing as the Danes taking over England and the goal is to build 6 Shire Courts (which can only be constructed at least 8 tiles from London) followed by a larger building (which can only be constructed in London).

I was playing it but I ragequit when I noticed that although I had spent ages conquering and had finished 5 of the 6 shire courts, the counter was stuck on "1/6". Is this an error or is it some kind of common problem? I spent hours on this scenario so it's just really frustrating to have this happen.

Advertisement