Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly spinning?!?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody has ever tried putting a fly reel on a light spinning rid?? Might be a mad idea but having recently broken my fly rod and shore fishing not being too productive I was thinking of tryin this out!! If anybody has thoughts or ideas on this method please let me know, thinking of trying it out tomorrow!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The action of a spinning rod would be all wrong for fly casting! Just buy a new fly rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

How would u cast it?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Was thinking it would have a different action alright but figured it's about the same diameter of the fly rod although a little bigger, and as I said it's fairly light as it is!
    The butt of the rods about 5 inch long and am thinking I can fly cast with that part against my forearm or try work around it some how!
    Buying a new fly rod, a decent one is a little beyond my pocket at the moment! Unless you have one going cheep??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Was thinking it would have a different action alright but figured it's about the same diameter of the fly rod although a little bigger, and as I said it's fairly light as it is!
    The butt of the rods about 5 inch long and am thinking I can fly cast with that part against my forearm or try work around it some how!
    Buying a new fly rod, a decent one is a little beyond my pocket at the moment! Unless you have one going cheep??
    I've 3 fly rods here in house that could be bought cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You can always pick up a cheap second hand fly rod. Anything would be better than trying to use a spinning rod!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Give it a go gumbo1. Nothing to lose.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Tried it before in same position as u.
    Didn't work. Only thing close to working was my feeder rod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I have to say, although I'm not the best at the fly and the spinning rod is a bit heavie r than a fly it didn't go too badly! Casted pretty much the same way but I did end up with a blister for my efforts!!

Advertisement