Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rent-a-Wreck

Options
  • 17-07-2013 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

My problem is i need to rent a car for 12 days from next week. All the rental companies I've contacted have given me these ridiculous rates an most of them won't rent to me at all because of my age. ( I'm 22. )
    I don't need anything fancy just a used car of some sort.

I am looking to rent the car in Dublin but I'll pretty much go anywhere in Ireland to get the car, and was hoping that anyone could help me find a garage or somthing that rent out cars.

Any help is appreciated,
    kasper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

My problem is i need to rent a car for 12 days from next week. All the rental companies I've contacted have given me these ridiculous rates an most of them won't rent to me at all because of my age. ( I'm 22. )
    I don't need anything fancy just a used car of some sort.

I am looking to rent the car in Dublin but I'll pretty much go anywhere in Ireland to get the car, and was hoping that anyone could help me find a garage or somthing that rent out cars.

Any help is appreciated,
    kasper
    Getting a garage to rent you a car wouldn't be too hard but I don't think they could insure you. Ive rented from a garage but had a policy and switched it to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kasperkvist

I don't think my policy on my car here in denmark would cover it but maybe may travel insurance would. do you remember what they charged you for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

http://www.irishcarhire.info/irish_car_hire_form.html

How long have you ha a full licence?

I've had my license for almost 4 years with no accidents.

Site I linked seems to be fine then.

• Advertisement

the site you linked searches all the major rental companies and when you read the fine print on their website most of them say that you need to have had your license for at least 5 years. and furthermore they charge me between 25 and 40 euro extra per day for the young driver surcharge so the cheapest i've found comes out to 750 euros for 10 days.. and I can buy a used car for the same price... i just can't afford that much, that's why I was trying to find out if I can rent through a local garage or something like that.

I don't think my policy on my car here in denmark would cover it but maybe may travel insurance would. do you remember what they charged you for the car?

Cost me 20 a day for an awful 01 Laguna estate. Their usual rate was 40 though. He apparently gave it to me for that because he knows the family.

Try ring your insurance company and ask if they'd cover you if you can sort a car with a dealer

Travel insurance wouldn't cover it

I'll give that a try, do you think pretty much any small garage have a few cars they could rent out or do I have to be lucky to find one?

how about a credit card maybe?

• Advertisement

how about a credit card maybe?

What do you mean?

Most garages will have courtesy cars they loan to clients and im sure wouldn't mind making some money. Just tell them your looking for anything at all.

Your insurance company mightn't like insuring you when we drive on a different side of the road etc. and not sure if a garage would be crazy on foreign insurance but no harm asking.

That's true I guess, I'll call around to a few shops and see what they say and try foiund to find out if i'm even covered somehow by my own insurance.
    thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

With respect OP, even if I had a car I wouldn't rent you one purely on you thread title. Had you titled it "I need a car for 12 days", I might have considered your proposal but your thread title, to me, gives me images of you not caring for any car you might be provided with.

I'm sure that's not what you meant but its coming across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

With respect OP, even if I had a car I wouldn't rent you one purely on you thread title. Had you titled it "I need a car for 12 days", I might have considered your proposal but your thread title, to me, gives me images of you not caring for any car you might be provided with.

I'm sure that's not what you meant but its coming across that way.

Rent a wreck is, or at least was when i lived there, a company in the states for cheaper and older hire cars in the states

MrDerp wrote: »
    Rent a wreck is, or at least was when i lived there, a company in the states for cheaper and older hire cars in the states

Also in denmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Also in denmark
    MrDerp wrote: »

Thanks guys. You learn something new:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ill sell you a lovely xantia with 14 months nct for 500 . sell it on after for 250 and its only cpst you 250 :-)

Advertisement