Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A compulsory 'Broadcast tax' next on the list for homes in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

bgrizzley wrote: »
    How is it guff? Would you refuse E1000 cause someone owed you E100?
    You really will defend any level of stupidity...

It's complete guff. Pretending that you'd compromise your livelihood over the payment of a tax is either empty bluster, or a level of stupidity (on your part - not the Revenue) that I wouldn't bother defending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

alastair wrote: »
    If you expect a general revolt against property tax, you'll be waiting a long time. The property tax is no poll tax. People were quite happy to continue paying their property tax, while opposing a change to a poll tax. And I fully expected to have to pay - I'd suggest you re-adjust your thinking to the reality of the situation.

You'll pay up in the end - with the penalties for your choices.

This thread is about a Broadcast tax, flat rate for all.

quite similar to a poll tax.

Something I believe you deemed as unfair and thus didn't pay.

Don't you see the hypocrisy there old bean?

SamHall wrote: »
    This thread is about a Broadcast tax, flat rate for all.

quite similar to a poll tax.

Quite similar, as in not similar whatsoever? The broadcast tax model is closer to a council charge (which I paid) than a poll tax, in that it's household-based rather than individual based. It's also a more sensible model to fund a service that more and more people make use of, without having a tv tuner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

It's complete guff. Pretending that you'd compromise your livelihood over the payment of a tax is either empty bluster, or a level of stupidity (on your part - not the Revenue) that I wouldn't bother defending.

hmmm, calling me stupid. You obviously win the argument...

I never said I'd compromise my livelihood, Alastair. I have more than enough, and if my income dips to a level that i can keep my head above water i'll be happy.

Not every one in this country was or is greedy.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    excuse my shouting but EVERYONE WAS TOLD WHEN THEY SIGNED UP FOR THE HOUSEHOLD CHARGE THAT IT WAS GOING TO BE USED AS A REGISTER FOR FURTHER LEINS BEING PLACED ON YOUR HOME :mad: the solution was not to register which has worked a treat for the 160000 odd people who told them to go to hell & bring their uncivil servants along for the spin..

I think you'll find it a lot less than 160,000! 40,000 is a more accurate figure.

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »
    hmmm, calling me stupid. You obviously win the argument...

Stupid or talking guff - it's a multiple choice scenario. I know where my judgement lies.

You lost this argument the moment you figured you could evade enforcement by the Revenue.

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL so people shouldnt be angry about the complete missmanagment of their taxes? Just shut up and let the government who obviously know exactly what they are doing get on with it. Id love an ip trace off this guy bet it would lead right into endas advisors offices

Your tinfoil hat is slipping. Who's making any comment on mismanagement of taxes? The issue is the collection mechanism for taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Stop making personal comments please and remember this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056971262
    thanks

Pat Kenny has abandoned ship I see.

RTE has issued a statement saying that Kenny “will not be renewing his contract with RTÉ and will therefore be leaving the organisation with immediate effect”
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/kenny-leaves-rte-for-newstalk-29462330.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So much for the notion that those overpaid RTE presenters wouldn't be able to find work elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So much for the notion that those overpaid RTE presenters wouldn't be able to find work elsewhere.

Of course they can find work elsewhere, that argument is they would get paid nowhere near as much to, so id be very curious to know the difference between his old salary and his new one

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Generally speaking, people usually will leave for more money. I seriously doubt Kenny has jumped ship if RTE had offered him more than Newstalk.

Generally speaking, people usually will leave for more money. I seriously doubt Kenny has jumped ship if RTE had offered him more than Newstalk.

I couldn't give a flying mickey what he's to be paid once it's not the Tax payers funding it.

The same goes for politicians, council managers and anyone else with the nose in the trough.

If he's employed in the private sector it's none of our business.

Of course what the public sector has to pay people bears no relation whatsoever to what they can earn in the private sector.

I seriously doubt he is considering while at RTE he was on Primtime and had his radio slot while at newstalk hes only going to have the radio and usually TV pays alot more. Also while at RTE he was working as a contractor he wont be able to do that at a private company.

Of course what the public sector has to pay people bears no relation whatsoever to what they can earn in the private sector.

it impacts what they pay in taxes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

while at RTE he was working as a contractor he wont be able to do that at a private company.
    Why?

it impacts what they pay in taxes though.

No it doesn't. He'll be a contractor - just like he was at RTE.

Edit. Sorry - replying to wrong post.

But while I'm here - it'll make no difference to the price of a TV licence, so, no it won't. You could even argue that Pat, with his ratings, might have held up the RTE advertising revenue stream.

Why?

Just assuming it since as far as I know none of the private media companies operate on a contractor basis they are all employed directly, could be wrong though

Just assuming it since as far as I know none of the private media companies operate on a contractor basis they are all employed directly, could be wrong though

Eamon Dunphy was a contractor while at Newstalk.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. He'll be a contractor - just like he was at RTE.

Edit. Sorry - replying to wrong post.

But while I'm here - it'll make no difference to the price of a TV licence, so, no it won't. You could even argue that Pat, with his ratings, might have held up the RTE advertising revenue stream.

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

Public sector workers have an impact on what tax payers burden will be.

That was my point.

Eamon Dunphy was a contractor while at Newstalk.

And Hook gets paid through his company Foxrock Productions.

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

That was my point.

Quite an insight. You mean they demand payment?!

Quite an insight. You mean they demand payment?!

Yeah.

Some actually deserve what they get paid.

Garda, nurses etc.

Imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pat Kenny is irrelevant.

That was my point.

But the licence fee, which is the tax here, isn't going to come down because Kenny left.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Yeah.

Some actually deserve what they get paid.

Garda, nurses etc.

Pat too - given that he's just proven his commercial value.

Let us know if you've any other revelations on how the employment market works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

That is the sum of it I would say as well, mo money from Newstalk.

Pat too - given that he's just proven his commercial value.

Let us know if you've any other revelations on the how the employment market works.

Nice to know you're privy to his salary details before he's released them.

Do tell?

Nice to know you're privy to his salary details before he's released them.

Do tell?

Just using some common sense. Pat has proven to be an able negotiator, and it's rather unlikely he's opted for a worse deal than the one he was on. And RTE are clearly very bitter that they've lost him.

From the Irish Times:
    RTÉ director general Noel Curran this evening said the State broadcaster was unable to match the offer Kenny had received from the commercial sector, and that, while a significant loss, his departure did not come as a major shock.

Mr Curran told RTÉ’s Drivetime programme that reductions in presenter fees over the last few years fees had left RTÉ paying rates similar or lower than its commercial rivals. He said it was possible that other well-known names could be lost to commercial broadcasters as RTÉ had adopted a new approach to fees.

• Advertisement

Just using some common sense. Pat has proven to be an able negotiator, and it's rather unlikely he's opted for a worse deal than the one he was on. And RTE are clearly very bitter that they've lost him.

You might find that a radio only and no tv appearances won't pay nearly as much as what Montrose paid him.

RTÉ might be bitter that he wouldn't accept another pay cut.

We don't yet know.

It will all come out in due course though.

Advertisement