Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Scam in Darwin

Options
  • 17-07-2013 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

The daughter of a good friend of mine had a deposit of $1,200 AUSD stolen from her in an apartment letting scam. The woman involved is known to the police for doing this but haven't been able to charge her.

I don't know if the mods will let me post the link to her FB page...I'll leave it at the end of this comment so it's easy to snip if necessary. She's a heavy set girl in her twenties with long dark hair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

This wont last long ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

HI OP

You cant implicate people on Boards by posting a link to their FB.

I removed the link no harm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fair enough...I didn't think it would. It's just horrible to hear of from here, the same girl only went back over last week so her family were hurting anyway and now this.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Fair enough...I didn't think it would. It's just horrible to hear of from here, the same girl only went back over last week so her family were hurting anyway and now this.

Now the link is gone how was she scammed , how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Yeah i'd say it would sting a bit being that far from home. I've heard of rental scams in Dublin but wouldn't have the faintest idea of how do deal with the situation if it happen in Dublin let alone deal with it in Darwin.

Anyone have any advice to avoid this type of scam ?

• Advertisement

ifeelill wrote: »
    Yeah i'd say it would sting a bit being that far from home. I've heard of rental scams in Dublin but wouldn't have the faintest idea of how do deal with the situation if it happen in Dublin let alone deal with it in Darwin.

Anyone have any advice to avoid this type of scam ?

A common one is

A rents a house and moves in around June using dodgy details.

A offers the house all through June for viewing for rental, pretending its his/hers to rent in July. A takes 1 month rent up front and bonds accordingly from as many people as possible.

In July A basically absconds with the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I really hope this thread doesn't inspire any cash strapped desperadoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

An update from the Dad:
    Update on the Darwin 'Scam'.

Having been told by the Police that it was NOT a Police matter, my daughter went to the Magistrate's Court and a Solicitor. 20 mins before she arrived another couple had been in with the same story of the same apartment. While there a French girl came in, she had been duped on Mon. So now it IS a Police matter.

Nine News TV station in Darwin have been on. They are currently working on a project exposing 'Scamming”.

Irish Echo newspaper were on.

A great girl with Darwin Holiday Apartments is investigating to find the real owners of the apartment which we think is a Government Social Welfare Dwelling.

Strangers have contacted me from Australia to wish us the best of luck, saying they will keep an eye out

I got an offer of money this morning from a from a friend up the country. (Thanks again)

It's touching to know what friends and even strangers will do in times of need.

Advertisement