Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnstown Litter Problem

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭

Something needs to be done about the amount of litter in Johnstown. Rubbish is strewn across the street particularly from the shopping centre right up to the Athlumney/Kentstown crossroads. I noticed there is a lack of bins, but there is no excuse really. It's becoming a kip to drive though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Would you not resign yourself to the fact (like you did about Navan town park and tarred everyone with the same brush in one foul swoop) that the people of johnstown don't appreciate where they live? :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84466551&postcount=62

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

So I was a tad cynical in a previous post. Looking bad, I was silly to use such a generalisation. I apologise for this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

When you wrote to / rang the Council and pointed this out to them, what response did you get?

You did inform the Council, didn't you........seeing as it's their responsibility to clean up the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

When you wrote to / rang the Council and pointed this out to them, what response did you get?

You did inform the Council, didn't you........seeing as it's their responsibility to clean up the streets.

Pull & Bang this is by no means a go at you but it's all our responsibilities to clean up the streets.

That's precisely why our towns & amenities and in such a shocking state - because so few people give a stuff enough to keep them right. Yes NTC/MCC are to blame for the lack of bins but can't people just take their litter home with them? It's a cultural shift we need as well as bins

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

washiskin wrote: »
    it's all our responsibilities to clean up the streets.

I disagree with you there. It's not our responsibility to clean up the streets rather it is our responsibility not to litter them in the first place.

Not all our towns and amenities are in a shocking state, just some of them and usually only in a small area of the said town.

I agree about the lack of bins but there are certain parts of Navan (substitute any town in Ireland) where there are concentrations of people who just don't give a sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Fast foodie places should charge extra and clean up after their packaging litters the place. Navan Market Square was a right tip last monday morning. Right eyesore.
    It was reported that bar staff at the Barge Pub were cleaning up outside the place at the canal at 3.20 am (after cleaning out the punters in the bar hours previously) , probably the least they can do to make the place clean for the next night to clean the punters out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Fiskar wrote: »
    Fast foodie places should charge extra and clean up after their packaging litters the place. Navan Market Square was a right tip last monday morning. Right eyesore.
    It was reported that bar staff at the Barge Pub were cleaning up outside the place at the canal at 3.20 am (after cleaning out the punters in the bar hours previously) , probably the least they can do to make the place clean for the next night to clean the punters out!

Where's the barge pub? Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

The reasons there's no bins is because the bloody kids burn them out:mad:

There is a number you can ring to report these things now...

1850 715 815... ask for joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Why don't you via the neighborhood watch set up something similar to a tidy towns committee where 3-4 locals go out and pick up litter ?

• Advertisement

Vego wrote: »
    Why don't you via the neighborhood watch set up something similar to a tidy towns committee where 3-4 locals go out and pick up litter ?

Litter seems to be the least of the worries for people in johnstown now...

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/12/31/4018914-vandal-attack-in-johnstown/

Muppets "with nothing to do" probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Access wrote: »
    Litter seems to be the least of the worries for people in johnstown now...

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2013/12/31/4018914-vandal-attack-in-johnstown/

Muppets "with nothing to do" probably.

To be fair johnstown has zero youth facilities. .its gonna lead to this ...sure I seen a kid on a dirt bike the other day tearing up the grass infront of houses

Vego wrote: »
    To be fair johnstown has zero youth facilities. .its gonna lead to this ...sure I seen a kid on a dirt bike the other day tearing up the grass infront of houses

I agree... but tell me they dont have a shopping centre, with chipper, shops, cafe etc... and then to boot have sky/upc, probably an xbox/ps/wii/laptop/internet etc. at home and the best thing they can find to do is walk around dressed like an extra from love/hate and go kicking in windows in the local shopping centre?

Muppets.

Advertisement