Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Calgary - Step by Step

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Right
    Myself and the girlfriend are heading over to Calgary in feb. Im a plumber and will be looking to start work pretty soon after arriving. What way do you go about getting the licence over there and how does the tax, insurance and registration work? Are there any special hoops you have to jump through to get a commercial vehicle as ideally id want to get a 2 seater suv or pickup.
    Any and all help would be really appreciated and when the info has accumulated ill edit the op to include a step by step guide :)
    So to recap, im looking for the following info:

1: Can you drive in Calgary on an Irish licence?

1a: If not, what are the steps that must be taken to obtain a Calgary licence / international licence?

2: How do you get insurance (private / commercial) / what are some reputable companies?

3: Is there motor tax and if so, where / how do you pay it?

4: Is there vehicle registration and if so, where and how do you arrange it?

5: Are there any special considerations to be taken into account when buying a commercial vehicle (van / pick-up / commercial suv)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mrs McSweeney

7ofBrian wrote: »
    Right
    Myself and the girlfriend are heading over to Calgary in feb. Im a plumber and will be looking to start work pretty soon after arriving. What way do you go about getting the licence over there and how does the tax, insurance and registration work? Are there any special hoops you have to jump through to get a commercial vehicle as ideally id want to get a 2 seater suv or pickup.
    Any and all help would be really appreciated and when the info has accumulated ill edit the op to include a step by step guide :)
    So to recap, im looking for the following info:

1a: If not, what are the steps that must be taken to obtain a Calgary licence / international licence?

2: How do you get insurance (private / commercial) / what are some reputable companies?

5: Are there any special considerations to be taken into account when buying a commercial vehicle (van / pick-up / commercial suv)

Ok, my understanding is as follows and I know I'm fairly right with this but please double check.

In Saskatchewan your full Irish licence can be used for up to 3 months but it can be swopped for a Canadian one fairly easily. You will need your Irish licence, your passport and two items showing your Canadian address, usually your lease agreement and your Canadian ID card (issued from the same office as the licence - SGI).

There is no private insurance it is all state run. Your no claims bonus letters from Ireland and a history of your driving in Ireland (available from the motor tax office ) help to reduce your insurance premiums. I'm not sure if the insurance is tailored for the specific vehicle you drive or not, see next item for clarity.

This is the bit that i am slightly woolly about...When you sign up for insurance they give you a licence plate that is specific to you, yes an actual licence plate. You use this plate in your vehicle and any subsequent vehicles you own.
    I do not know if (a) this is different with commercial vehicles, (b) you use this plate on any car you ever drive even if just borrowing a car, (c) if the amount you pay is adjusted for each vehicle, but I would imagine it is.

A lot of people drive 2 sweater pickups but I don't know if they are classified as commercial here or not.

Hope some if that might be of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Thanks a million for your input but from what I gather, the rules are different from province to province. I'm trying to put together an info sheet specifically for Calgary. Hopefully including buildings you may have to visit and phone numbers / links for companies

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Yes for 3 months

Not a Calgary license and alberta license,

1, Find an Alberta registry
    2, Do a theory test.
    3, Once passed they will issue a learner permit on the spot and also take your Irish license as it is illegal to hold two licenses at the same time in Alberta
    4,Once you have received your learner permit in the mail you can apply for your test.
    5, If you haven't had your license for more than two years you cannot take the advanced driving test and must do a year on the GDL program before getting a full license.
    6, It will be helpful to do at least one two hour lesson before the test

Go to a broker\insurance office
    Dont know for Calgary

Nope

Yes through the registry, you need to buy a plate for you vehicle, this will transfer with you from car to car.
    Needs to be renewed yearly

None that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaineyB

hiya.
    we're heading over in October to Calgary ourselves but have a friend already over there who is driving.
    He bought himself a car and said that you can drive for a year on your international driving license.you can get one of them from d AA for e10 +e5pp.
    You can than get plenty of practise in driving before u go for your Canadian license.Now i believe there r a few steps in getting d Canadian license like doing d theory test etc BUT we get to skip a couple of steps.there's a good thread step by step on here in 'Calgary Info Thread' and it gives d details.
    REMEMBER you will need to bring a letter of entitlement from d motor tax office here with you.its basically your Irish driving record.just ring up your lo al office and ask for it.you'll need to get it before you go coz they only post to Irish addresses.
    hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭PSRJ17191438b

LaineyB wrote: »
    REMEMBER you will need to bring a letter of entitlement from d motor tax office here with you.its basically your Irish driving record

probley a stupid question but what if you have no driving record! I'll have my full license a year in August, only driving I did was the lessons and me tests (4 of them). I'm still gonna get the international driver's license for the year but would yah say id be able to get insurance over there with no driving history?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LaineyB

probley a stupid question but what if you have no driving record! I'll have my full license a year in August, only driving I did was the lessons and me tests (4 of them). I'm still gonna get the international driver's license for the year but would yah say id be able to get insurance over there with no driving history?

Thanks

I reckon you can get the letter of entitlement anyway regardless of not driving long. its more of a back up of your license.
    U can get insurance anywhere once you have a license regardless of ur driving history...it might just be a little higher.

Advertisement