Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move Certain "Sys" Forums to "Talk To..."?

Options
  • 17-07-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭

It has been mentioned a few times in various Feedback threads that "Sys" is a meaningless term for newcomers to the site. This was one of the primary reasons given for moving Sys under the Boards.ie menu.

Would it make more sense to move certain forums from the old Sys Category into a new Talk To... > Boards.ie subcategory?

I'm specifically thinking of Feedback, Forum Requests and Newbies and FAQ.

I think this would make it a more logical to newcomers to the site when they're searching for answers. For example, if a user wanted to get help, it may make more sense to go Talk To... > Boards.ie > Newbies and FAQ.

Or am I being too logical? :P

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Okay, I know what you mean but to be honest I think origionally the Talk To... forums were for users to query problems with verified businesses in their own section. Sort of like a customer service portal, well sort of. Like you have Facebook and Twitter, you also have Boards.

In my opinion I think for newbies it should stay under Sys. Leave it be. Then for the welcome email it could link to the Sys section (not sure if it does).

That's my take on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It would make sense but there's no Sys category anymore in the eyes of Boards. It's now the Boards.ie category, which makes sense. Although it would make more sense if that was the first category.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I think from a newbies point of view, it shouldn't be called Sys. It gets confusing and is likely to be ignored. Maybe moving relevent forums under the Boards.ie heading and not under Boards.ie > Sys, would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Mr. G wrote: »
    I think from a newbies point of view, it shouldn't be called Sys. It gets confusing and is likely to be ignored. Maybe moving relevent forums under the Boards.ie heading and not under Boards.ie > Sys, would make more sense.

That was my point. A newbie doesn't see sys anymore. They just see Boards.ie as the category. By the time sys comes up for a newbie they already see feedback or forum requests or whatever.

It's only on old skins that sys is a category in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I had this idea too that Boards.ie sys forums fall into a "Talk To Boards.ie" in the same way that we have Adverts in there, but after talking it over internally, we felt there was simply too many forums that would have to go in there and it would give the Talk To section a very disjointed and inconsistent feel, so we decided against it and have the current solution.

It's more in keeping with how you expect a website to work - the "functional and administrative" parts of the site are under it's own name and everything else is in its own section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I agree that it's best where it is at the moment - under Boards.ie.

Perhaps to clarify things for newer users a heading (similar to the "New Forums" and "Sys" ones) could be created to highlight the more useful forums?

NEW USERS
    Newbies & FAQ
    Help Desk
    Feedback
    Site Development
    Forum Index

Sys means nothing to most people.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Dades wrote: »
    I agree that it's best where it is at the moment - under Boards.ie.

Perhaps to clarify things for newer users a heading (similar to the "New Forums" and "Sys" ones) could be created to highlight the more useful forums?

NEW USERS
    Newbies & FAQ
    Help Desk
    Feedback
    Site Development

Sys means nothing to most people.

But most of those aren't new user specific. Even N&F isn't new user exclusive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does that matter?

EDIT - actually I can see how it would.

Open to thoughts on an alternative header. :)

Dades wrote: »
    Does that matter?

EDIT - actually I can see how it would.

Open to thoughts on an alternative header. :)

Is Boards.ie not the perfect header? Some forums could be (re)moved, such as The Thunderdome, The Cuckoo's Next and perhaps Book of Condolences, but the remaining forums would sit under Boards.ie as a header more so than they currently do under Sys.

Advertisement