Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get Sky boradband with no landline?

• 17-07-2013 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

We will be renting a house shortly. We are told it's never had a land line. I wonder can we still get Sky broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It comes through a landline.
    Think you'd need to talk to eircom first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Balls, thanks Colm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Ring them and ask. Some reps were telling customers in the early days that they would arrange with Eircom to have a line installed. I don't know if anything has changed, so you woiuld be safer ringing them and get the latest update.

Ok Kristopherus, will do that, thanks.

Bear In mind if you're out it the sticks sky charge more. Actually worked out dearer than eircom in my mothers case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

You need a landline for broadband full stop.

You need a landline for broadband full stop.

Isnt a landline a phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Isnt a landline a phone line?

Same thing. I guess he means an active phoneline. If there a line going into the house, you have to ask Eircom the activate it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A new arrangement came in some time ago whereby you should order the new landline through isp that you want your broadband with - some isp staff do not appear to know this and will refer you to Eircom.

However if you order your new line through Eircom you will be stuck in a contract with them.

Can you not still sign up to line rental only? That used to be the case and you didn't have a contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Check out the fibre offerings from Eircom and Vodafone. No landline required and it appears to be cheaper.

No Pants wrote: »
    Check out the fibre offerings from Eircom and Vodafone. No landline required and it appears to be cheaper.

It comes through the landline.

It comes through the landline.
    Yes, but there's no landline charge and the overall package is cheaper as a result.

Yes, but there's no landline charge and the overall package is cheaper as a result.

€2 cheaper.

Line rental is included in the price, but then again it is on the old packages too

Sky referred us to Eircom, said we need to be with them for a year before we can get Sky broadband.

Anyway, that's fine, as I already get a radio broadband with lighthouse/net whatever they call themselves now so I'll get onto them.

€2 cheaper.

Line rental is included in the price, but then again it is on the old packages too
    Mine is going to be €16 cheaper. At least that's what I've been quoted. I'll come back if I get a "surprise".

Mine is going to be €16 cheaper. At least that's what I've been quoted. I'll come back if I get a "surprise".

See you in 6 months.

See you in 6 months.
    First bill has been received and paid for. It's down from €48.08 to €40.32 and that includes a part month charge. Next month should be down to €32.00. I'll confirm that it does.

Down to €31.29 this month.

Advertisement