Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeroing the .22

Options
  • 17-07-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

I was out today zeroing the .22 and got a little surprise in the groupings
    The first picture shows CCI Mini Mags The second one shows CCI Stingers and The third one Remington Yellow jacket Hyper velocity all are 3 shot groups. The Black circles are 1" diameter and rifle was zeroed at 50 yards. At 75 yards the Mini Mags opened up a little bit the stingers I am still searching for the holes they made while the Yellow Jackets were still inside the 1". The hole in first picture in the white is just a ranging /zeroing shot

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What's the gun again? Make/model.

What kind of drops were you getting after 50 yards.

Where the groups bigger than you'd want?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Cass wrote: »
    What's the gun again? Make/model.

What kind of drops were you getting after 50 yards.

Where the groups bigger than you'd want?

The groups were grand at 50 and 75 with the mini mags and yellow jackets just thought that the stingers would have been better. I did not measure the drops as I was using the BDC reticle for the hold over but at a guess I would say it was about 2" or so drop
    CZ 452 yo dave trigger Setiner predator xtream 4-16X50 scope Staffords Stock http://www.staffs-synthetic-stocks.co.uk/custom.shtml it is the one in custom cammo only my one is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The stingers are by far the faster of the three bullets and that may have a lot to do with it. I am surprised with the yellow jackets as i never found them accurate, in fact I never found any of the hyper velocity rounds accurate. But that's just me.
    Just read an article recommending to set a scope 1.4 inches high at 50 yards for high velocity .22 LR which will give you 1.5 inches above and below line of sight out to 90 yards. That's certainly head shots for bunnies up to effective .22 range.

You just trying out the HVs or do you intend to stay with them?

Are subs out of the question?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you're testing .22lr rounds you can't rely on three round groups to give a fair picture of any particular type.

It's not unusual to put a bunch of rounds into one hole and then get a flier or two. The reverse (some wild shots followed by a tighter group) is just as likely.

You probably want 10 shot groups. Even 5 shots is a good bit better than 3.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    You just trying out the HVs or do you intend to stay with them?

Are subs out of the question?

No subs not out at all. She will group most subs great. about a month ago I put a inch and half circle out at 50 yards and every shot out of about 120 went into it from Eley Winchester super X and Lapua with the Lapua having the edge in tighter groups.

I am trying as many different makes of rounds as I can just to see which is best for the rifle.

I am looking for a sub and HV that the rifle likes best so as to stick with it.

IRLConor wrote: »
    If you're testing .22lr rounds you can't rely on three round groups to give a fair picture of any particular type.

It's not unusual to put a bunch of rounds into one hole and then get a flier or two. The reverse (some wild shots followed by a tighter group) is just as likely.

You probably want 10 shot groups. Even 5 shots is a good bit better than 3.

I know what you are saying and would always use more than 3 shot groups to test a round. I usually only use 3 shot groups to test zero on a rifle. I just did not have time to do a better test of the ammo.

The stingers are by far the faster of the three bullets and that may have a lot to do with it. I am surprised with the yellow jackets as i never found them accurate, in fact I never found any of the hyper velocity rounds accurate. But that's just me.

I use to use the Yellow Jacket Hyper Velocity back in the mid 80s and found them very accurate in a Savage .22 we had and so far they appear to be just as accurate now as then. I was just surprised that the Stingers appear to be all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Funny enough it was a .22 savage semi that we used to use. Don't remember the model, but it was tubular magazine fed and was stripped by unscrewing a nut at the rear of the bolt assembly. Great gun for the crack but decades of ware caused it to go full auto every now and again emptying the mag in secounds.
    Any how we always thought the hyper velocity rounds tended to be too light and where easily effected by wind. After I got my Brno I stuck with LV HP (Eley or Win) for use with mod and had years of great bunny bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Hi folks. Sorry to drag up an old thread, but thought it better to do than start another one.

My brother and sister got me a scope for Christmas and I'll be taking it out soon to zero it.

I know how to zero the scope, theoretically, but I'm not sure about how I can rest the rifle without it moving. Any tips on this?

• Advertisement

Pedro K wrote: »
    I know how to zero the scope, theoretically,
    Here is a guide i done on zeroing. Might help.
    but I'm not sure about how I can rest the rifle without it moving. Any tips on this?
    Two options:
    1. Gun vise - Self explanatory really. Its a vise that rest the foreend of the rfile in a u shaped holder and has a clamp of some design at the rear. It helps prevent movement when zeroing and can be used for cleaning.
    2. Rest and back bag - Not as steady a vise but works all the same. The only difference is you must be more careful of any touching of the rifle as it's not fully clamped down. This can be resolved by using a strap on the rifle, but there is still the risk of it moving.

No matter which you use keep checking the rifle throughout the process to make sure it have not moved. The key part in all this is making sure the scope is mounted level. Once you get this done then any movement of the rifle/scope during zeroing, while a PITA, will not detrimentally affect the zeroing and can be easily rectified.

Use spirit levels on the rifle and scope and while your instinct will be to mount the scope according to your hold and eye, use the levels so the scope is perfectly mounted and so any adjustment you make to the scope will be accurate (clicks up will go up and down not slightly horizontally, and any horizontal clicking/adjusting will go left to right and not slightly up or down).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

I know some of the lads here don't rate the cci velocitor but I found that the cz out performs most brands using them. I have had 4 cz. 22 over the years and they all liked the velocitor

Advertisement