Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does the DVR go?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Due to a few incidents of vandalism my mother got a couple of security cameras installed on the front of her house. I couldn't do the installation myself as I don't have the equipment, but I was expecting to do the internal work, but the guy did the whole lot.

I'm in two minds whether to redo the internals, but would like advice on as to where the best place for the DVR is?

Currently the DVR is situated on the floor in the upstairs front bedroom (small 2 bed terraced house). The DVR is connected to the television downstairs via a redundant piece of coaxial cable that used to bring up a TV signal. The BNC to RCA cable was hacked in half and spliced to this cable, and the TV downstairs can show whatever is displaying from the DVR.

If I was to kept this setup, I'd like to reroute some of the cabling and keep the DVR on top of the fitted wardrobe in the room, which would mean it was completely out of sight. Either way with it being upstairs it is not possible beyond a couple of minor things to interact with the DVR without reconnecting (within proximity) of the TV downstairs.

The second options (as there is enough camera cable) is to route both camera feeds downstairs (via the hole in the ceiling the coaxial comes through) and connect them to the DVR box re(situated) downstairs (with the UPC and DVD boxes), and therefore become fully interactive. When I had heard that the guy did all the installation this was what I was expecting.

So before I undertake either of those options, is there a best practice or recommended place to leave a DVR? Is it better to leave it up out of the way upstairs (move only when needed - hopefully never), or just move it downstairs?

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,870 ✭✭✭ozmo

If Its got a fan and a harddrive- thats got to be anoying in a bedroom... ?

Id put it somewhere dust free where noise wont be an issue (the hall or kitchen?)on a bit of foam to limit the vibrations but keep vents clear- and do all the admin - like reviewing via its network interface if it has one - otherwise pick up a secondhand monitor?

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That reads like it was a bit of a cowboy job...
    Was this installed by a licensed company? All these locations should have been discussed & spec'd out prior to installation.
    I'm not a fan of having it in beside the TV with your DVD and SKY box.
    In the event of a break-in it could easily be removed.
    Can it go into a wardrobe in either room?
    There also should be a monitor with it, making it easy to review & back up footage etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

ozmo wrote: »
    If Its got a fan and a harddrive- thats got to be anoying in a bedroom... ?

Id put it somewhere dust free where noise wont be an issue (the hall or kitchen?)on a bit of foam to limit the vibrations but keep vents clear- and do all the admin - like reviewing via its network interface if it has one - otherwise pick up a secondhand monitor?

No one sleeps in that room anymore, but thankfully the dvr box is silent. I've spent years trying to get PCs quiet(er), so I understand what you mean.

I never considered the ethernet port because there is no Internet in the house anymore, but that's food for thought - possibly I could hook it up to a wireless access point and use a laptop to access the device. Thanks I've a few options to consider here now :)

KoolKid wrote: »
    That reads like it was a bit of a cowboy job...
    Was this installed by a licensed company? All these locations should have been discussed & spec'd out prior to installation.
    I'm not a fan of having it in beside the TV with your DVD and SKY box.
    In the event of a break-in it could easily be removed.
    Can it go into a wardrobe in either room?
    There also should be a monitor with it, making it easy to review & back up footage etc...

I had purchased the kit, the guy that installed it is an electrician my mother knows. CCTV may not be his field? In fairness what was done was neat, just not happy where the box was left.

I take your point about it being removed in the event of a break-in. What I'll do is re-route some of the wiring so that it can sit on top of a wardrobe in the room out of harms way. In the event of needing to review any footage, worse case scenario I can disconnect it and connect it downstairs, otherwise I'll see how the ethernet/wireless thing works out.

Thanks for all the advice lads, much appreciated.

D.

Advertisement