Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing Around Connemara

Options
  • 18-07-2013 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I live in Athlone, but travel around a lot with my job. I spend a lot of time around Galway and Connemara.
    Connemara is full of lakes, what are these like for fishing? Bit of a general question I know, as they prob vary a lot. Some of the lakes look fantastic, very picturesque and isolated. I've never yet seen anyone fishing them though. Do they tend to be over run with weeds? My dad and brother are coming from England next week, I'm tempted to bring them out there for a days fishing. I'm thinking of the areas around Maam, Recess, towards Clifden way. Would make a good day out if they're any good.
    Thanks for any info. Don't really wanna drive for an hour and a half minimum just to get snagged in weeds all day :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

Howdy! There are lots of lakes with little or no weeds. Would you be planning on spinner fishing? Some of the lakes are fly only and some require a permit. I'll send you a PM and if any questions, let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

jma wrote: »
    Howdy! There are lots of lakes with little or no weeds. Would you be planning on spinner fishing? Some of the lakes are fly only and some require a permit. I'll send you a PM and if any questions, let me know.

Which lakes are fly only?

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Which lakes are fly only?

Actually, Derrylea, on the Clifden-Galway road, is the only one I can think of right now. There's also a bag limit - I think it's either 2 or 3 per person.

Owenglin River is worm only, AFAIK. Salmon license required there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any good lakes around Gort or Co. Clare that are fly fishing? I'm thinking of heading to Lough Atorick tomorrow to have a look. Looks like a nice spin even if I don't catch anything.

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Do you know of any good lakes around Gort or Co. Clare that are fly fishing? I'm thinking of heading to Lough Atorick tomorrow to have a look. Looks like a nice spin even if I don't catch anything.

No prob. Sorry, I'm only familiar with the Connemara region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

No prob. Sorry, I'm only familiar with the Connemara region.

Inagh is fly only aswell afaik but clifden has great water on its permit and a few of the lakes have produced great fish in recent months

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The small rivers that flow down off the mountains into Leenane Harbour and the sea (near Clifden) are producing some lovely trout at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

paddy147 wrote: »
    The small rivers that flow down off the mountains into Leenane Harbour and the sea (near Clifden) are producing some lovely trout at the moment.

Really? Those rivers are tiny and drain acidic peatland - they wouldn't be noted for having brownies of any size... and they would have been almost dry until the last day or two. :confused:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Really? Those rivers are tiny and drain acidic peatland - they wouldn't be noted for having brownies of any size... and they would have been almost dry until the last day or two. :confused:

I was in Leenane yesterday with the missus.

Some nice ones being caught in the river nearby to the rivers entrance to the harbour

Also just the other side of Clifden,as you are heading out over the small narrow bridge,towards Letterfreck.

2 lads fishing there and had 2 nice ones just netted,as we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I was in Leenane yesterday with the missus.

Some nice ones being caught in the river nearby to the rivers entrance to the harbour

Also just the other side of Clifden,as you are heading out over the small narrow bridge,towards Letterfreck.

2 lads fishing there and had 2 nice ones just netted,as we arrived.

Sea trout or brownies? And was it the little river in Leenane village, or the Erriff at the top end of the harbour?

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Sea trout or brownies? And was it the little river in Leenane village, or the Erriff at the top end of the harbour?

River that comes down into the small harbour/pier just around the road at Leenanne village.

Also lots of them jumping clean out of the water in the river up by the adventure lodge out back of Leenanne.

I dont know if it was seatrout or brownies that the lads had caught,but they were a nice enough size,from what we saw of them.

We were down in Clifden doing some mackerel and conger eel fishing,and decided to go for a drive around the area and do some sightseeing.:)

River that comes down into the small harbour/pier just around the road at Leenanne village.

Also lots of them jumping clean out of the water in the river up by the adventure lodge out back of Leenanne.

I dont know if it was seatrout or brownies that the lads had caught,but they were a nice enough size,from what we saw of them.

We were down in Clifden doing some mackerel and conger eel fishing,and decided to go for a drive around the area and do some sightseeing.:)

Did you catch any conger? Or mackerel for that matter? Last time I tried for mackerel, they weren't in yet.

Did you catch any conger? Or mackerel for that matter? Last time I tried for mackerel, they weren't in yet.

2 small mackerel and lots of conger eel...but they were coy as fcuk about taking the bait.:pac::D

2 small mackerel and lots of conger eel...but they were coy as fcuk about taking the bait.:pac::D

: ) Do you mind me asking where exactly did you get the congers and what you used? I haven't caught one before, but was thinking about giving it a go...

: ) Do you mind me asking where exactly did you get the congers and what you used? I haven't caught one before, but was thinking about giving it a go...

Around the back of Clifden harbour on a rising tide.

A single 7/0 hook and a piece of mackerel.

Cut and fillet away one side of the mackerel,just below the head,remove its backbone aswell and you have a semi mackerel "flapper".

Take the tail off,about 2 inches from the end and take out the backbone.

Thread the hook in through the Mackerels mouth and back out just below its gills.

Then drop the bait over the side of the harbour wall into the water,sit back and wait.

Be prepared to play a long waiting game,as they can be very coy and very cunning,in how they actually come in along the harbour wall below and actually feed on the bait.

Happy Congering.:)

PS-Dont want to be taking away from the opening post (fresh water and lakes),so I,ll bow out now and leave it at that.

Regards.:)

Advertisement