Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any way to get into actuary through part time course?

• 18-07-2013 2:50am

Hi all. I am a primary teacher and am looking to change careers. I have a few ideas in mind one (career guidance) which I could do part time as well as remaining a primary school teacher. This would be a good option however I have thought of the possibility of being an becoming an actuary for many years now and feel it is a line of work that would really appeal to me. Is there any way of doing this course part time? I don't want to leave my current job unless I am going into one with equal money (30k). The third idea is medicine (this was the career I always wanted but parents though it was a terrible idea because of the hours so I was persuaded to go for primary teaching instead). I still think of it as my dream career but cannot ever seeing any way I could financially afford to go back to college for 4 years as a grad student to do this :( Any information would be greatly appreciated in relation to the actuary job....any way of doing part time courses to break into this field of work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

To qualify as as actuary, you study at weekends and in the evenings so it's pretty much part time anyway.

I would encourage you to try out CT1 Financial Maths to see how you find the exams and the study. This is one of the easiest exams. Here is some more info http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/certificate-financial-mathematics This would help you gauge whether it's for you or not, before you start committing to something more.

You won't be able to qualify as an actuary without actually working as an actuary, but don't worry, the salary will be more than 30k throughout.

I am hoping to qualify next year. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Pythia wrote: »
    To qualify as as actuary, you study at weekends and in the evenings so it's pretty much part time anyway.

I would encourage you to try out CT1 Financial Maths to see how you find the exams and the study. This is one of the easiest exams. Here is some more info http://www.actuaries.org.uk/students/pages/certificate-financial-mathematics This would help you gauge whether it's for you or not, before you start committing to something more.

You won't be able to qualify as an actuary without actually working as an actuary, but don't worry, the salary will be more than 30k throughout.

I am hoping to qualify next year. Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Thanks so much for the reply! I just looked up that link and looks like a fab way to guage where I am at and if I enjoy the challenge of studying for the actuary exams. From my research I see that technically you don't have to do a course in actuary (i.e. actuarial science etc) to be an actuary but how then do people get into a job where they can study for these exams? I see that Open University have a course (Mathematics and Statistics) that would be feasible for me to do but can take up to 6 years :( What would my next step be if I do the CT1 Financial Maths exam and feel it is what I want to do? Advice is so much appreciated..I love teaching but its no challenge academically and I can't settle with it at all. I'm looking for an academically challenging career, with good pay and fairly decent hours so I just feel his career seems to tick these boxes...what do you think of it are you enjoying your course?

ps. One last question! To be working as an actuary will I definitely have to be based in Dublin? Ultimately (ie in the next 10 years) I would like to live in Galway or Mayo but is this very unrealistic? I would have no problem relocating for the next 7 or 8 years but would prefer to be in the west after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Thanks so much for the reply! I just looked up that link and looks like a fab way to guage where I am at and if I enjoy the challenge of studying for the actuary exams. From my research I see that technically you don't have to do a course in actuary (i.e. actuarial science etc) to be an actuary but how then do people get into a job where they can study for these exams? I see that Open University have a course (Mathematics and Statistics) that would be feasible for me to do but can take up to 6 years :( What would my next step be if I do the CT1 Financial Maths exam and feel it is what I want to do? Advice is so much appreciated..I love teaching but its no challenge academically and I can't settle with it at all. I'm looking for an academically challenging career, with good pay and fairly decent hours so I just feel his career seems to tick these boxes...what do you think of it are you enjoying your course?

ps. One last question! To be working as an actuary will I definitely have to be based in Dublin? Ultimately (ie in the next 10 years) I would like to live in Galway or Mayo but is this very unrealistic? I would have no problem relocating for the next 7 or 8 years but would prefer to be in the west after that.
    Go for it! I'm an actuary student in college so I can't help much with the non college route but all I can say is follow your dreams, ignore sunk costs and work to your highest potential! Then you can have no regrets in later life. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Almost certainly. There is one place which may employ an actuary or two called Acorn Life in Galway, but other than that, you would be in Dublin. Sorry!

I didn't do an actuarial degree, although it wasn't too different. I went through a recruiter after 3 years doing statistical work in a bank and they got me a job and study package. I would talk to a company called Acumen who are the main recruiter, they might give you more advice.

Good luck!

Advertisement