Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying in Workplace

Options
  • 18-07-2013 4:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

There is a woman I work with who is constantly harassing me. I know bullying is a serious word to use when it comes to the workplace but I feel completely victimised and hurt by this woman. I told my boss about what was happening, he didn't talk to the woman or even attempt to do anything to rectify the situation.
    Now, he has cut back my hours. I used to work 4 or 5 days a week & now I get 1, 2 if I'm lucky, & those are days that this woman aren't working on. This woman is a bully yet she's allowed to continue to work with her negative attitude and cause me to earn less money by my hours being cut. This was a crap move on my bosses behalf.

Any idea on what I should do? I want to leave but can't afford to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

So what does this person do to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anklebiter

So what does this person do to you?

I dont want to go into too much detail cos god knows who could be reading this but she shouts at me all the time, she tells me to do jobs that I don't have to do, doesn't do her own jobs so I will end up doing them for her. She also likes to create scenes in the middle of the workplace, where she'll tell me to do something that isn't required of me so the next person will come along, see me doing something wrong, tell me off and it makes me look stupid in front of the rest of the staff. She created a huge scene one day in front of many other staff members and caused me to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

anklebiter wrote: »
    I dont want to go into too much detail cos god knows who could be reading this but she shouts at me all the time, she tells me to do jobs that I don't have to do, doesn't do her own jobs so I will end up doing them for her. She also likes to create scenes in the middle of the workplace, where she'll tell me to do something that isn't required of me so the next person will come along, see me doing something wrong, tell me off and it makes me look stupid in front of the rest of the staff. She created a huge scene one day in front of many other staff members and caused me to cry.

well if have to do her work for her as well as your own maybe the boss will cop onto this as your hours are cut keep a diary of events what she says , does time and area and go above your manager to HR if you feel his doing nothing to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Why not visit your GP and ask them to write you a sick note on the grounds of stress. If these notes continue to pile up, I'm sure your employer would take the case more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Raise an official grievance with your employer. First stage would be to ask what the procedure in in your work place; this might even be enough to start the ball rolling.

To be honest I find the best approach to bullies is to stand up to them. I nice loud (not shouting) Don't speak to me like that/ Who do you think you are / talking to, in front of people is normally enough to get them to back off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It is unfortunate that Anti bullying 'guidelines' and proper action by employers in this country are at best a joke.

If possible I would suggest bringing her up on one of the nine grounds of harassment if possible

See
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/equality_in_work/harassment_at_work.html

Bullying at work when it is related to one of the nine discriminatory grounds of Harasment ( see link) is covered by the Employment Equality Acts.

However Hassment and bullying at work which is not linked to a discriminatory ground is only a non regulated health and safety issue ( a non statutary guideline)

The only real way to obtain proper action where such harassment / bullying is taking place is to belong to one of the above groupings such as eg a transgender rasterferiam - and I am not joking. Other forms of Bullying in this country are not even civil offences despite the fact that it can destroys people's lives.

Do get some advice but most employers tend to be cowards in the face of bullying and Look at taking other action if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I seriously despise reading threads like this. My own personal experience can be read here.

Just waiting now on one more strike from that organisation and I am taking my situation to Europe. Bringing my own situation to the voluntary organisations and even this organisations own counter-parts throughout Europe so they know what is allowed here in Ireland.

The worst thing about my own situation is mentioned below
    gozunda wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that Anti bullying 'guidelines' and proper action by employers in this country are at best a joke.

... Other forms of Bullying in this country are not even civil offences despite the fact that it can destroys people's lives.

Do get some advice but most employers tend to be cowards in the face of bullying and Look at taking other action if possible.

I went through absolute hell personally over the last number of years as a result of this one organisation and they even try and wrong me out of 1000euros! They have actually come close to destroying my life as my standard of life has diminished hugely in terms of very little confidence; more self-doubt than I could ever have imagined; and even having to avoid certain situations and events due to worry and un-certainty.
    & They don't even care! so long as their own personal relationships remain in-tact and they have each others backs.

As I said though, I'm taking my situation to European Level if they don't take pro-action soon or make one more strike against me or my family (see here)!

Bullying and Harassment Laws in this country are a running joke at present since once you have contacts, you are okay!

Hope your own situation improves soon though,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If you start working with her again start keeping a log of everything this person says/does that you feel is bullying.

Date it, time it and write down exactly what was said/done.

If you could get copies of the hours before and after you approached your boss that would be handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

anklebiter wrote: »
    There is a woman I work with who is constantly harassing me. I know bullying is a serious word to use when it comes to the workplace but I feel completely victimised and hurt by this woman. I told my boss about what was happening, he didn't talk to the woman or even attempt to do anything to rectify the situation.
    Now, he has cut back my hours. I used to work 4 or 5 days a week & now I get 1, 2 if I'm lucky, & those are days that this woman aren't working on. This woman is a bully yet she's allowed to continue to work with her negative attitude and cause me to earn less money by my hours being cut. This was a crap move on my bosses behalf.

Any idea on what I should do? I want to leave but can't afford to.

Take him to court for victimisation and read up on your employment law. Does your workplace not have a clear code of conduct and a procedure you should take for reporting cases of bullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

maguic24 wrote: »
    Take him to court for victimisation and read up on your employment law. Does your workplace not have a clear code of conduct and a procedure you should take for reporting cases of bullying?

This is very unfair, how long have you worked in the job? Is someone else now doing the work you were doing on your days off? Do you have a contract? It looks like your boss is trying to resolve the issue by separating you, however although he means well, he is not following procedure and would most likely be putting the company at risk should you leave and sue for constructive dismissal . .... Let us know how you are getting on. Fair play to you for standing up for yourself.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tobyjensen

To be honest I also find the best approach to bullies is to stand up to them. You can go someplace else but then you usually end up with a similar problem like what you just left. Sincerely nice people often find it very difficult to assert themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 arthurday2013

Most workplaces have a grievance procedure, so look into that OP
    I also suggest that you keep a diary of these events.

Advertisement