Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my Passport.

Options
  • 18-07-2013 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

I lost my passport on Sunday night. I've rang the pub, the police and the cab company but no sign of it. Will I be able to get another passport or just an emergency one? I've no other form of I.D only my bank cards and I'm starting work on Thursday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You will be able to get a new passport, but it will take a few weeks.
    You should have gotten a separate ID card (from the RTA for example) for bringing out with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

It will take at least 11 weeks.

I lost mine, had to reapply for a new one, get police report, birth cert, proof of address in Oz, photos (make sure these are not Australian Passport size but Irish size) stamped by police
    Sent off application to embassy on 28th April, just got printed in Dublin this week, so will be another few weeks before its back in Canberra then another few days before its sent to my address here.

Then you have to fill out the form to update your visa onto your new passport number.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

Mellor wrote: »
    You should have gotten a separate ID card (from the RTA for example) for bringing out with you.

Great advice, very helpful! Just what the OP wanted to hear I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dats_rite wrote: »
    Great advice, very helpful! Just what the OP wanted to hear I'd say.
    It wasn't advise.
    I was pointing out that using your passport for ID when living abroad is pretty silly. Especially when is real easy to get an RTA ID that fits in your wallet. Whether the OP wanted to hear that or not doesn't make a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

Hawkeyes post is spot on. I lost mine reported it missing to police and got a report. I rang home and cancelled it as the embassy here seems to be a part time operation I could never get through when I rang. My passport took a little over 15 weeks to get here. Shocking turn around time, my usa passport has a turn around time for 10 working days and it, like my irish one, has to be processed on home soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Thanks for the replies everyone. To be fair to Mellor he's dead right. I was planning on getting another form of I.d but never got around to it (Only arrived middle of June). The turnaround seems very bad but I suppose its my own fault really. I'll give the consulate a ring and see what they say.

On the subject of work, will I need my passport for that? They already have my passport number to check I had a visa. Do ye think I'll need it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Flightfinder1

I applied for a new passport while here in Oz an it took less than 3 weeks for them to issue me a new one.
    I emailed the embassy in Canberra, they posted me the official forms. I returned the forms to Canberra & they sent it to Dublin for processing. I was delighted at how quickly it came back.(applied 26th June '13 & it came back July 12th)
    Because you lost your passport you will need to submit your original birth cert.
    You need to get the correct sized passport photographs, I got mine done at the post office, but had to cut them to the correct Irish specifications so just be careful about that.
    Apply for it as soon as possible.

Also it's worth giving the Irish passport office a ring, sometimes the passport is sent back there if it is found .

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Hi flightfinder,

I need to renew my passport and emailed Canberra last week for the forms. I didn't recieve any email back so i am wondering does it take them long to send out the forms/
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Flightfinder1

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Hi flightfinder,

I need to renew my passport and emailed Canberra last week for the forms. I didn't recieve any email back so i am wondering does it take them long to send out the forms/
    Thanks

I think it took roughly a week for them to send the forms, standard mail can take longer if your living in a regional/outback area. Email them again if you have not received the forms..are u emailing through te query box on their website, that's what I used

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I e-mailed though the query box on their website too. I will wait a few more days to see if it will come before i get onto them again.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement