Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Science With No Prior Knowledge

Options
  • 18-07-2013 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I am going complete a year of a computer science fetac course, which will grant me entry into general science and hoppfully a career in Zoology.

In school, I made the mistake of doing courses other than science to maximise my points and to whittle down my workload, since I originally was set on courses that required no sciences.

I am worried that I will not have experience with lab techniques and that this kind of knowledge will be assumed upon entry.

Do you feel I will struggle too much without lab experience going in?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

It depends on your interest in the subject, if you have it, I mean the actual love of the subject that enables you to put your social life to one side at certain times then I'm sure you'll do fine. :)

EDIT: in the year out could you not learn the science on your own? Get the leaving cert science books (and the revision books)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

JohnMac93 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going complete a year of a computer science fetac course, which will grant me entry into general science and hoppfully a career in Zoology.

In school, I made the mistake of doing courses other than science to maximise my points and to whittle down my workload, since I originally was set on courses that required no sciences.

I am worried that I will not have experience with lab techniques and that this kind of knowledge will be assumed upon entry.

Do you feel I will struggle too much without lab experience going in?

Thanks

There is a fetac level 5 called laboratory techniques that would be better suited, it is a level 5 general science course. Are you a mature student or just out of school?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

I did an MSc in Environmental Science (lots of lab work) coming from a Humanities type background and didn't really struggle at all but maybe a primary degree is a bit different.

Advertisement