Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you take a 2.5year old on holidays alone?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm really in two minds about this one,
    I was hoping to take my daughter to Lanzerote on Stephens day for some winter sun and instead of wasting a fortune on a depressing Christmas on our own here.

I was really positive about it until I read an article called if "you bring your toddler on holidays you'll scream too" It sounded like a nightmare and that was with three adults.
    Thing is we manage just fine here and we're always out and about.

Would love to hear your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Well if it was a choice of being here on your own or in Lanzerote I think I'd choose the latter. It'll be hard work but if you're a lone parent then you know that already. On the plus side you'll get some winter sun, go swimming everyday and do other fun things. You may very well get to know other parents while you're there.

I honestly don't think bringing a toddler on holidays is all that bad as long as you tailor your expectations accordingly. The holiday is all about the toddler and once you entertain them you'll have a great time. We've been away twice so far with our 2.5yr old and we had a great time on both ocassions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I personally wouldnt. I find it stressful with 2 adults. On top of that, the last time I was there at that time of year it rained for 6 days solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Eek, two very different insights.
    Yeah I was there when I was pregnant for a month at Christmas and for two weeks the weather wasn't great but was ok enough to have the odd swim etc.

Oh I really don't know, I'll be getting my redundancy in a week or two and really wanted to book but I'm very unsure now. Then Christmas could roll around and I could regret not booking and being stuck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Borboletinha

We're just back from a cruise with our 2 year old. I was preparing myself for a nightmare but it was actually quite nice. As long as you dont have high expectations since toddlers are so unpredictable and realise before going that it will not be like going on holidays by yourself, you will enjoy. Of course sometimes you will be jealous of the childless carefree people but that happens to me even in Ireland!

Yeah to be honest my only real expectations would be to get away from here and the bitter cold, Be able to go for little rambles, couple of dunks in the pool and paddles in the sea, no cooking, a trip or two to an animal park , a good book when she's in bed. I'm under no illusion that it'd be anything like previous holidays. I really think she would love it I just wish I was a bit more confident, that article has freaked me out but surely she wouldn't just change personalities abroad? She's a great little kid 99% of the time and I genuinely love her company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

You should go, if ye are fine here then I'm somehow sure ye will be absolutely fine over there. Go and enjoy yourselves and have fun. You know yourself that everyone has different experiences with their children, you may have the best holiday ever with her. Memories and stories to tell her when she is older! :-D maybe one thing though, get a place with a heated pool, I remeber the water being to cold when I was there years ago!!

CarMe wrote: »
    Yeah to be honest my only real expectations would be to get away from here and the bitter cold, Be able to go for little rambles, couple of dunks in the pool and paddles in the sea, no cooking, a trip or two to an animal park , a good book when she's in bed. I'm under no illusion that it'd be anything like previous holidays. I really think she would love it I just wish I was a bit more confident, that article has freaked me out but surely she wouldn't just change personalities abroad? She's a great little kid 99% of the time and I genuinely love her company.

If she's that nice of a kid you have nothing to worry about. I was very worried before going on the cruise cause mine is a handful, got her one of those leash backpacks and all expecting the worst but surprisingly she actually behaved better than at home and had a lot of fun! Just one thing , planes can be tough for toddlers, at least mine who hates sitting still , so I brought my tablet along for her to watch her beloved Iggle Piggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I don't know what article you read but a 2.5 yr old can be prepared for the change of scenery so you shouldn't have tantrums etc when you get there. We had a week of a very put out baby when we went to Spain last summer with our son who was 18 months. He was fine for the 2nd week once he got used to the place. We went away for a week in Ireland last month. We told him we were going away for a couple of days beforehand and he was absolutely fine for the week. He loved the beach and making sand castles and was no different, temperament wise, than if we'd been at home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I took my 4 month old to France for a month ,best thing ever.
    I am on my own a lot with the kids 4 , 2 1/2 and 6 months and I would not have 2nd thoughts about taking them on a holidays just me and them if the opportunity arose. It is no more effort then being at home at that age.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I took my 4 month old to France for a month ,best thing ever.
    I am on my own a lot with the kids 4 , 2 1/2 and 6 months and I would not have 2nd thoughts about taking them on a holidays just me and them if the opportunity arose. It is no more effort then being at home at that age.
    OMG! 4,2 1/2 and 6 months! Fair play to you, I wouldn't be able to do it neither at home nor on holiday. My 2 year old on her own drives me insane sometimes.(I'm on my own with her most of the time.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do enjoy when they go to sleep sometimes:) I am of the view that you may as well enjoy everything that you can with them and the experiences are good for them too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I'd have no problem bringing my 22 month old on holiday on my own. The beauty of it will be you will only have to suit yourself.
    I went away with my dad and his partner, as well as my husband and our then 13 month old last October and while it was nice to get away, we had to go along with my dad and his partner a lot of the time and it was awkward as the little fella would be tired, it would be too hot to put him in the sling for a nap and he wasn't keen on sleeping in the buggy etc etc etc. we went away ourselves on honeymoon 6 weeks later and it was so much easier, we just suited ourselves.
    Don't let other people's stories out you off. If you love hanging out with your little girl here, you'll love it there too, especially if you're both pretty chilled out and you don't have huge expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Book it!!!! Just you and a two year old will be great. You'll get into your stride after a day or two and will be flying! Oh speaking of flying. ..a 4 hour flight might be the only pain ;)

I take my child (2.75 now) lots of places alone, including abroad. I did not read the article the OP speaks about but I can certainly bring no "anti" reasons to the table from my own experience and have no idea what they were writing about that was so bad.

Toddlers do go a bit nuts when they think any situation is going out of control - then then start looking for comfort - stablitiy - or some way to regain control of the situation including screaming until you get them what they want. But this is true all the time not just on holiday.

Keep it cool - be relaxed - ensure you are not stressed out, panicing or rushing at any point in the holiday - and I would imagine you will be just fine.

As soon as panic or stress or rushing comes into anything you do they pick up on this and start to worry and things spiral from there.

Also a good idea to mention a few times each day for awhile before how everything is going to go. Build up an expectation and a familiarity with what is about to occur. "Soon we will be going in the car - and then we are going to park it - and give our tickets and bags to the man - and get on an airplane - and go flying away". And so on. Step my step desciptions of what is to come so it is not all a sudden surprise when it comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Just back from Canada alone with my 2 and half and my 1yr old, 7hrs flight and 5hrs time difference... It had its moments, mainly due to time change, but bad bits over you only remember the great ones.
    Definitely go! People just love making things sound impossible when it comes to children... 10 minutes at a time is my moto, loads of distractions, and make it a holiday to remember for both of you!

Thanks everyone so so much for all the replies and putting my mind at ease!!

I'm 100% going to do it and I'm actually really excited too!

The details have changed a little bit as its literally half the price to go earlier in December and I think we'll go to Tenerife as it looks set to be a little nicer weather wise, I've never been there and there's a little monkey zoo place, a water park with a baby section and whale and dolphin shows right by the hotel.
    I'm going to go all inclusive too as the price is great and it wouldn't be an awful waste having to leave a restaurant half way through or anything. I've never liked to idea of all inclusive before but it seems to be a handier option and I won't have to worry so much about spending money!

Really appreciate you all giving me the push! Can't wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I've had my daughter on holidays at 5 months, 8 months, 16 months & we're planning another holiday for next month when she'll be 22 months. Granted there's 2 of us & she's younger than 2.5, but we've enjoyed every holiday with her. I'm still feeding her, so flights are a breeze (almost weaned now, as no. 2 is due in November so don't know what it'll be like on our next holiday). A few new toys & loads of snacks for the plane are a must. If your little one still takes a nap during the day, try fly when it's due & hopefully they'll sleep on the plane.
    It's great to just sit down & have someone else feed you. We have gone half board each time, so there's no stress with finding a restaurant. Great for the morning & then you can choose whether to have lunch or dinner that day. If you're out for the day, most places will make up a picnic lunch for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I did it last year... well he and I travelled alone together and got our own accommodation but my Mother in Law was staying close by.. she flew out and back on different days to us..

If I'm honest, I don't think I'd do it again :o very different ball game to when it's you and the other parent travelling.. it's pretty full on..

Getting through the Airport can be a bit of a nightmare with a toddler.. and God forbid your flight is delayed.. I found it really stressful tbh.. but he had only turned 2 at that stage.. so might be a bit easier with a slightly older child..

xzanti wrote: »
    I did it last year... well he and I travelled alone together and got our own accommodation but my Mother in Law was staying close by.. she flew out and back on different days to us..

If I'm honest, I don't think I'd do it again :o very different ball game to when it's you and the other parent travelling.. it's pretty full on..

Getting through the Airport can be a bit of a nightmare with a toddler.. and God forbid your flight is delayed.. I found it really stressful tbh.. but he had only turned 2 at that stage.. so might be a bit easier with a slightly older child..

Gah, feeling nervous again now!
    Really that bad? Like what exactly was stressful, the fear of a tantrum, tears or just keeping your eye on the ball at all times?
    What worries me is I'm not sure how I'll physically manage the luggage, her and the buggy but sure the luggage is gone fairly soon isn't it? And maybe her behavior will be more terrible two-esk when she's two and half :O

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Really that bad? Like what exactly was stressful, the fear of a tantrum, tears or just keeping your eye on the ball at all times?
    What worries me is I'm not sure how I'll physically manage the luggage, her and the buggy but sure the luggage is gone fairly soon isn't it? And maybe her behavior will be more terrible two-esk when she's two and half :O

Well, I was thinking about it again after posting the above.. and if I'm honest.. had I planned my trip a bit better it probably would have been much easier..

I flied Ryanair and didn't think to book 'Priority Boarding'.. as I assumed it was small children board first, as it used to be.. I didn't know they had changed it and of course I was last on the queue because I didn't realise I had to go to the other side of the Airport :o .. and it was very early in the morning so I was all flustered and the little guy was balling.. and we had to go down a flight of stairs and out onto the runway to board.. and I got little or no assistance from the staff at the boarding gate.. except to ask "will he be ok" cause he was screaming.. yeah let me just consult my crystal ball for you my friend! aarrrgghhh!

Then I was on board and seated when I realised that in my hurry to get to the gate, I had forgotten to fill his beakers up with milk for him, having had to empty them to get through security :o panic stations!!

The Hostess was very kind and helped me out as much as she could, but all she could offer me was a heap of those little UHT pots for making tea.. So there we are taxiing down the runway and me furiously trying to empty a hundred thousand mini milk pots into his beaker before he has a conniption..

The rest of the flight was just a case of trying to keep him amused.. I had packed lots of play doh and colouring books etc... but I thought he would sleep for at least a couple of hours having been up so early to travel, but no such luck.. awake and cranky the whole way over..

Like I said, had I booked priority boarding and remembered to get him drinks on the way to the gate it would have been a big help..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

All inclusive is perfect with kids...i used to hate the thoughts of it...but that was when there were only 2 of us and we had hours to walk around looking for the perfect restaurant. Now its so worth it. You will have a great time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Bring a buggy, you can use it up to the gate so put him in it and put your carry on luggage on bottom and have a rucksack as your checked in bag. Have a small beach bag in your carry on luggage that has all the things you need for plane, you can place this under your seat so you can access it at all times. Toddler can bring his own little backpack too.

Bring iPad for toddler loaded with new games and nursery rhymes and videos of peppa pig etc... books and stickers or magazines with free stickers and a new toy, wrapped in several layers of wrapping paper and pipe cleaners. Anything you dont use, keep in buggy and use in restaurants.

Let him have a big nap during the day while you sit on balcony reading a book, then he will be in good form in the e evenigs for restaurants and a walk home afterwards to tire him out.

Let him know your plan for the holidays e.g. breakfast, pool, nap, playground, walk, dinner, walk, bed so he has a routine.

Don't stay anyplace that you will ned to get bus every day, too akward.

Enjoy and don't stress about it or you will put yourself off and regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

If you are open to it, I'd consider borrowing a toddler sling. Slings have been my saviour everytime we've been in the airport. We bring the buggy & load the handluggage onto it when walking through the airport. Baby is in sling, so close to mammy & able to see everything. Obviously she'll want to walk too, but if you're trying to get from 1 end to the other, they're a lifesaver. I also found it great to get her to sleep during the day, at the time she wasn't great at going for naps in the buggy, so we'd go for a walk with her in the sling & once she'd fall asleep, we'd transfer her to the buggy with a snoozeshade over it. We could then pop into a cafe for a coffee, or do whatever else we wanted to do, while she slept.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Thing is we manage just fine here and we're always out and about.

You know your daughter better than anyone else, and you know how you deal with her in times when its a bit stressy. So if you can manage here out & about with a toddler I'm sure you'll manage fine somewhere else.

Take on board all the tips about travelling, choose somewhere handy where you can be confident on having things around within walking distance to entertain her, the advice about all inclusive or stay self catering if that doesnt suit you personally.

I think you'll do fine. You'll never know till you try, at the end of the day it will only be a week and if its a week of hell you'll have a better idea of what you need when planning another holiday.

You can easily have a week of hell at home too with a disgruntled toddler. At least this way it would be something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

This thread has inspired me to book a mini break away with my little one in September. :)

Advertisement