Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Flyover

Options
  • 18-07-2013 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

So, one of the flyovers was open this morning, the one over the sarsfield rd roundabout.
    sure I ended up going around the roundabout anyway, watching all my comerades in the right lane head over the flyover....nice to see it finally being opened though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That was quick in the end. Drove past it on Monday evening and I (in my totally uneducated opinion) thought it looked like there was still another few weeks of work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I think it's open in one direction only at the moment. I'll be heading over for a perve later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I came past last weekend and thought it would be another few weeks. Great to hear though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

it might be only east bound yet, couldnt see if any cars were heading west on it, but that will surely be only a matter of days away.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

used it this morning and was very suprised. Saves a few minutes and must say: well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

celica00 wrote: »
    used it this morning and was very suprised. Saves a few minutes and must say: well done :D

I was very confused when i saw the cars next to me veering off and up they went, I was thinking "aw man!!! I want to go that way!!!"

I'll know better tomorrow morn though! It will knock about 15 mins off my journey I reckon when they are both open!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Motorists are advised that significant traffic management measures will be put in place on the Cork South
    Ring Road overnight on Wednesday 17th July. The temporary arrangements will affect traffic heading east
    from the Bandon Road Roundabout. Motorists heading toward the Jack Lynch Tunnel will have the option
    of using a temporary lane of the Sarsfield Flyover – all other destinations will continue to be served via
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout as at present.

Directional signage will be in place immediately east of the Bandon Road Roundabout and motorists are
    asked to pay particularly close attention to both the directional signage and the speed limit within the works
    area while the temporary arrangement is in place.

The purpose of the temporary layout is to facilitate completion of works on the eastern side of the Sarsfield
    Flyover. It is anticipated that these works will take approximately one week to complete and motorists
    should note that An Garda Siochana will be on site throughout enforcing the works speed limit.

Details of further traffic management measures required to complete the scheme will be issued under further
    progress updates over the coming weeks.

From a CCC Update Yesterday. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853085&page=67

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

cantdecide wrote: »
    I think it's open in one direction only at the moment. I'll be heading over for a perve later.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

That was very silly of you boom boom

Tis the job alright used it earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya used it last night coming from Ballincollig, a few cars in front pulled in from the left hand lane on to the flyover exit at the last minute and force a truck to jam on the breaks, other then that there was no problem with it and I was surprised it was opened at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Its opened in both directions this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya used it last night coming from Ballincollig, a few cars in front pulled in from the left hand lane on to the flyover exit at the last minute and force a truck to jam on the breaks, other then that there was no problem with it and I was surprised it was opened at all.

I had the opposite problem yesterday afternoon. I was wary of what you said above happening but in fact 2 cars which were about to head up over the new flyover suddenly braked and swerved to the left to avoid the flyover at last second nearly creaming someone already in the left lane.
    duchalla wrote: »
    Its opened in both directions this morning.

Really?? Wasnt open at 7 when I passed..damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I assume the forcing of cars from the right hand lane is just a temporary measure. Did it last night, and had the same problem as GavRedKing, cars coming into it far too late, slowing down traffic behind. We all but crawled over the roundabout aswell which I assume was due to speed controls and personnel still on the flyover. Looking forward to both being finally open although I do wonder what effect the eastbound route will have on the tunnel - all that free flowing traffic will just end up blocking the tunnel further back than it does right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Nothing surprising about this...

A traditional mixture of poorly organised traffic management and pitiful Irish driving standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

corblimey wrote: »
    Looking forward to both being finally open although I do wonder what effect the eastbound route will have on the tunnel - all that free flowing traffic will just end up blocking the tunnel further back than it does right now.
    Yeah this was discussed over on the infrastructure thread too.

I am of the opinion that initially once they first open traffic may be much worse at the tunnel and dunkettle, as you will have a lot of people now arriving there at the same time.

However the other opinion is I think once people start adjusting the times they are leaving at etc then it will ease back to current levels.

The main factor to consider is that there will still be the same volume of traffic going that way, it may just take a while for people to adjust their time leaving home etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Both flyovers open fully at 6am tomorrow by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Was heading to Ballincollig from the Mahon point side twice in the last 2 days at around 5:30pm and the traffic heading north, towards Dunkettle and through the tunnel was backed up as far back as the Rochestown park hotel, it was also backed up on the road leading up towards Mahon Point and on the Skehard road as people were struggling to get down the slip road at Mahon Point for the tunnel.

I'd say traffic heading this way for a few days will be very busy as people get to here quicker with the new flyovers, still though the time saving is very welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Was heading to Ballincollig from the Mahon point side twice in the last 2 days at around 5:30pm and the traffic heading north, towards Dunkettle and through the tunnel was backed up as far back as the Rochestown park hotel, it was also backed up on the road leading up towards Mahon Point and on the Skehard road as people were struggling to get down the slip road at Mahon Point for the tunnel.

I'd say traffic heading this way for a few days will be very busy as people get to here quicker with the new flyovers, still though the time saving is very welcome.

that and i think people are on purpose taking the tunnel route to use the new flyovers, give it a week or so and people will get bored of it and start taking alternate routes again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I hope so, the traffic at Mahon yesterday was ridiculous, worst I've seen in a while.

I took a 2 min vid of the flyovers eastbound on the off chance that some incredibly nerdy person here would like to see it. Let know and I'll upload to YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

rovoagho wrote: »
    I hope so, the traffic at Mahon yesterday was ridiculous, worst I've seen in a while.

I took a 2 min vid of the flyovers eastbound on the off chance that some incredibly nerdy person here would like to see it. Let know and I'll upload to YT.

chances are someone has already beaten you to it on this forum

edit: yep, see post# 1040

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Bad news I'm afraid.......................

Cork City Council update
    Temporary Traffic Management Measures

Motorists are advised that significant traffic management measures will be put in place on the Cork South Ring Road overnight on Tuesday 18th March. The temporary arrangements will affect N40 traffic heading west from the Kinsale Road Roundabout. The westbound slip road heading toward the Sarsfield Road Roundabout will be reduced to 1 lane from Wednesday morning 19th March. Traffic management measures will also be in place on Sarsfield Road. All other routes will not be affected........

An alternative route for traffic heading to CUH and Wilton via the Bandon Road Roundabout will be sign posted in advance of the works. Directional signage will be in place, commencing immediately west of the Kinsale Road Roundabout and motorists are asked to pay particularly close attention to this directional
    signage while the traffic management measures are in place.

The purpose of the traffic management measures is to facilitate remedial works on the southern section of Sarsfield Roundabout and on the westbound slip road heading toward the Sarsfield Road Roundabout.

It is anticipated that these works will be complete by mid-August with the above traffic management measures in place until then. Motorists should note that delays are expected, particularly at morning and evening peaks and are advised to take an alternative route where possible.

More info here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89388460#post89388460

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

That slip is lethal already with the right-hand lane closed, I hope they're going to improve the signage and run-up to it.

What a pain. At least the flyover itself doesn't appear to be affected by this.

Drove round the roundabout last night. I can see why they are digging it all up. Half the roundabout is sinking, there's huge dips in it. What a major c*ck up in planning that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am not at all surprised, firstly at seeing how much that slip road has sunk on one side and secondly the fact that I used to catch frogs in the bog that was in that spot around 30 years ago.
    Pity the colleges don't teach the planners and architects a bit of common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

What a farce! Typical of Irish planners / engineers etc. though. Do they teach them anything in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It wouldn't be no harm to widen the roundabout too.

The corner radius at both ends is far too tight. And they have miles of room under the flyover to wide the bloody thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Do anyone know what the final route will be for pedestrians. I hope the current set up isn't it. Seem to have to go all over the place to go a short distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

The Oirish Way is in full effect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

I love the way people knock planners.

The planning system here is still very much influenced by politicians. The current planners/engineers of that section of road were on a hiding to nothing in upgrading it as it had been built on a bog so long ago. I am sure that, given a clean sheet, they'd rather put the whole thing on much more solid ground.

Advertisement