Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing lenses in Oakley's

Options
  • 18-07-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I've a pair of Oakley's with lenses so badly scratched, it is genuinely dangerous to wear them.
    Where/what is the cheapest/easiest/fastest place/way to get new lenses fitted in Ireland? If there is one answer to all three questions, then great. If not what choices do I have?

Thanks

Zico

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

zico10 wrote: »
    I've a pair of Oakley's with lenses so badly scratched, it is genuinely dangerous to wear them.
    Where/what is the cheapest/easiest/fastest place/way to get new lenses fitted in Ireland? If there is one answer to all three questions, then great. If not what choices do I have?

Thanks

Zico

What model oakleys?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

I just went on the oakley website and bought replacement lenses. they were delivered in a couple of days.

Mockba wrote: »
    I just went on the oakley website and bought replacement lenses. they were delivered in a couple of days.

I'm not going to be able to replace the Straight Jacket ones myself though.

Just youtube how to do it. its quite easy really.

• Advertisement

You actually replaced the lenses on the Straight Jacket model yourself? I'd be afraid of breaking the frame. All I can find on Youtube is a video without any sound. The glasses seem to be Straight Jacket alright, but the lenses he's putting in and popping out aren't the same type as those that came with my sunglasses.

No not that model but..............
    As yours are scrathed anyway you have nothing to lose by trying to take out the ones you have and putting them back in.

I would lose the frame if I broke it taking out the lenses. :)
    I've tentatively tested forcing them out, but there is no give. Unlike other models, the lenses are not designed to be just replaced based on the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

Heat the frame very gently with a hair dryer and pop out the lenses. They should pop out fairly easily with a little pressure even without heat. Just be careful not to over heat/ melt them.

Ok. I have done a bit of research and practice in this one. You pull up the top and bottoms of the frames and then pop out the lenses. You don't use as much force as you think. You could of course go back to your original question and go to a reseller to change them . Who probably would have done it before. But I think you can do it yourself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I used to own these glasses and replaced the lenses very easily. As Mockba says, you pull up and down on the outer rims of the frame and a little push with your spare little finger and they pop out... repeat the process to squeeze the new ones in.

This was over a year or so ago but should still be the same process.

Recently got a pair of the Radar Lock Path glasses and they are the businezzzz :cool:

Thanks all, I tried taking out the old lenses and it was a easy as pie. Turns out I was worrying over nothing.

Advertisement