Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HCI and User Interface Design

Options
  • 18-07-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm looking to participate on a course which covers Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and User Interface Design (UI Design). Does anyone know of a course running (in Leinster) that would be worthwhile doing?

I've found a course that was run on coursera.org by Stanford in US, but it's not running at the moment. I'm reading "The Elements of Human Experience" at the moment which I'm finding helpful.

I'm a graphic / web designer.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

IADT run one. Check out their website

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

Great. Thanks! I've sent that onto the power that be to see if they'll pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

kenobrien wrote: »
    Great. Thanks! I've sent that onto the power that be to see if they'll pay for it!

Let us know how you get on. Considering doing the course myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭kenobrien

you first :)

Will do. I'll keep note to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 raisinette

You'll likely find that HCI forms a part of undergraduate studies particularly in fields like CS (Computer Science) and (at the other end of the spectrum) Media Design.
    What I've found is that, depending on your make-up, you'll be frustrated by this dichotomy. I find it far more common to encounter UX and HCI which draws equally from the technical and creative at Level 9 (MSc.) and here there are good choices.
    My leaning would be to find an accessible undergraduate program in CS which will equip you with the tools to build innovative user interfaces through software. And as an insurance, your IT skills will always find use. If you're more creatively disposed, then you may head towards a creative design programme which will well equip you to pursue a UX-like MSc. later.
    I'm possibly biased towards CS but equally I believe that the junction between us and future products will pivot on technology and to be well-informed of this space is vital. It also doesn't hurt that you won't be unemployed if you're competent in IT. Of course, it goes without saying that you should pursue what you have a passion for regardless of prospects currently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement