Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper at duty free or America?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

hope I'm asking this in the correct place,if not could a mod move to correct location,

heading away to America soon and wondering where is it cheaper for me to buy aftershave/perfumn? In the duty free in dublin or in shops in America?? Hopefully someone might know on here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

+ 1 would really like to know too.

Also, as an addition to that, would I be better getting Duty free cigarettes in Ireland or America?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

would like to know too! hahahaha.. join the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Also, as an addition to that, would I be better getting Duty free cigarettes in Ireland or America?
    Where in America are you going? Last time I was in NYC, tobacco was expensive, but only as the mayor at the time was on a smoke-free buzz; I think it was cheaper in the rest of New York (t'was a few years back).

According to this it was equal to about €9.50 in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

I find it cheaper to buy cigarettes at the duty free in NYC while returning home, usually buy the marlboro lights. Keep also in mind there is a difference in the cigarettes I.e. benson and hedges don't smell the same as the ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Regarding perfume and aftershave it really depends on the brand. If it is a French or European brand you will probably find it is cheaper in duty free. An American brand will depending on what part of the States you are travelling to probably be available at a very good price in either an outlet store or a large department store.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is tobacco not cheaper on the plane than in duty free?
    Aerlingus charge €34 per 200 http://www.aerlingus.com/inflight-experience/sky-shopping/spirits-and-cigarettes/ afaik it's €39 at Dublin duty free
    Also shows what they charge for perfumes. Other airlines have similar brochures

Disclaimer: Alcohol and cigarettes will not be sold on flights within the EU or on flights to the USA departing Dublin Terminal 2 (Passengers now complete full US customs and Immigration checks before departing Terminal 2 therefore Duty Free items are not sold on-board).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Just an update on this that might be useful for others:

Cigarettes in JFK duty free are $39 dollars, a limit of 400 (2 packs) per person

They are also sold on flight (Aer lingus) at €34 per pack

Alcohol in JFK duty free is 2L per person, really good offers..eg 1 L Jack Daniels Gentleman for $30, Knob Creek 1L for $38 etctetc

There was no customs when I landing in Dublin so can't comment on that but above are the limit guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Just an update on this that might be useful for others:

Cigarettes in JFK duty free are $39 dollars, a limit of 400 (2 packs) per person

They are also sold on flight (Aer lingus) at €34 per pack

Alcohol in JFK duty free is 2L per person, really good offers..eg 1 L Jack Daniels Gentleman for $30, Knob Creek 1L for $38 etctetc

There was no customs when I landing in Dublin so can't comment on that but above are the limit guidelines

KNOB CREEK????!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

KNOB CREEK????!!!!

knob creek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

most flights to america have a change over

you can't ring liquads if you can't check it in your luggage

duty free is not cheap than stores in America
    cigarettes maybe

cheaper duty free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Hi
    Not long back from New York. It's actually cheaper to buy Perfume etc here. I was looking at "The One" Dolce & G in NY and it was over $110 before Tax and I bought here on sale in Debenhams for Euro 59 but I'm sure it's cheaper than that in the airport. I just pre bought the body lotion for the one in The Loop as I'm flying out next week.
    I also buy Clairns - all cheaper here in the Duty Free.
    One other thing I was shocked about... I bought some MAC make up in Macys and it actually was a little cheaper in Duty Free in Heathrow!!!!! The states isn't as cheap as it used to be.... It's certainly cheaper than the high street but what I bought in Mac - Macys would have worked out cheaper in Heathrow....
    New York is now the most expensive state for cigs... So if you are in any other airport than NY buy. buy .. buy... Miami was half the price of the cigs in duty free in New York.
    Enjoy your trip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

just went through duty free and prices are high

cheaper to buy in shops in america

Advertisement