Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking at night

• 18-07-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

<snip>I recently took a lurcher in from the pound. She is about 2.5 years old. I also have another dog, Patterdale terrier cross. The terrier is spotlessly clean in the house and have always left her sleep inside at night, however the lurcher is not so clean (at all!), in fact quite the opposite L So as a result I now leave the 2 of them left outside at night time to sleep.
    Only problem is barking LI have a nylon muzzle on the terrier as she was barking on the first night. I had the muzzle on her anyway so I think it is working for her (I have since been told that these muzzles are dangerous for dogs?)
    However I have since received three complaints (from the same neighbour!) about the barking. I am being told it starts around 2am ish
    I have yet to be woken by it, I leave all the windows open to the back of the house looking out on the run and kennel and bedroom door open and don’t hear it – possibly I’m a deep sleeper!) It must be the lurcher as the terrier has the muzzle on her and if she was to bark with it on ti couldn’t possibly be very loud because of it.

As a result I leave them sleep inside now the past 2 nights --- I don’t want to do this long term as the lurcher is no way toilet trained
    to be honest I don’t think I have any hope of toilet training her L

I am against the collars that give electric shocks to stop barkig but Im thinking that it may come to it? At my wis end with it at this stage as I am hopig I will not have to give her back L

Has anyone had similar issues or used anti barking collars ----any feedback welcome :confused:

Thanks

Mod note: your thread has been split away from the 6 yr old thread you resurrected this morning, and edited to reflect that.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

<snip> I recently took a lurcher in from the pound. She is about 2.5 years old. I also have another dog, Patterdale terrier cross. The terrier is spotlessly clean in the house and have always left her sleep inside at night, however the lurcher is not so clean (at all!), in fact quite the opposite L So as a result I now leave the 2 of them left outside at night time to sleep.
    Only problem is barking LI have a nylon muzzle on the terrier as she was barking on the first night. I had the muzzle on her anyway so I think it is working for her (I have since been told that these muzzles are dangerous for dogs?)
    However I have since received three complaints (from the same neighbour!) about the barking. I am being told it starts around 2am ish
    I have yet to be woken by it, I leave all the windows open to the back of the house looking out on the run and kennel and bedroom door open and don’t hear it – possibly I’m a deep sleeper!) It must be the lurcher as the terrier has the muzzle on her and if she was to bark with it on ti couldn’t possibly be very loud because of it.

As a result I leave them sleep inside now the past 2 nights --- I don’t want to do this long term as the lurcher is no way toilet trained
    to be honest I don’t think I have any hope of toilet training her L

I am against the collars that give electric shocks to stop barkig but Im thinking that it may come to it? At my wis end with it at this stage as I am hopig I will not have to give her back L

Has anyone had similar issues or used anti barking collars ----any feedback welcome :confused:

Thanks

Ist things first, you simply cannot muzzle a dog all night, it's cruel and actually dangerous for the dog. 2nd, the patterdale is only barking because you've completely changed its routine and put her out all night where as before she slept in. 3, house training the lurcher is the issue and of course it can be trained. Then you can leave both dogs in and everyone gets a good- and safe- night's sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Crate train the lurcher and bring him out a few times at night. Take the muzzle off the other dog, its so dangerous to leave a muzzle on a dog when left alone.

Jebb tools are good for reasonable priced crates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

take the dogs back into the house. work on house training the lurcher and for gods sake take the muzzle of the terrier at night before you wake up to a dead dog.

can you not see how distressing and frightening it would be for a dog to be muzzled all night?

the lurcher im sure has been through a lot and it will just take a bit of time for it to settle in its new home and its your job to help with this and not make it a traumatic experieince.

i dont think its impossible to toilet train any dog - it'll just take time and patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

When I first got my, even then, elderly dog from the rescue I was completly and utter confounded when, as she finished eating, she automatically squatted and peed all over the carpet - every time!! And because she was mastiffish the damage was immense!!!;)

Due to the vagaries of the house I had to feed her on one level and then rush her downstairs to the garden, superquick, to get her used to the idea that peeing could happen after eating, just not where you stand!! It honestly didn't take long - maybe a week.

I'd have to agree that leaving a muzzle on any dog whilst unattended doesn't sound like a good idea.

That poor dog stop muzzling it all night!!
    Bring them back in and train them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

OK firstly folks, my request was for feedback on anti-barking collars. I prefer not to use the muzzle on the terrier long term, hence I am posting here. Please do not lecture me on the use of a muzzle when I am looking for a solution – the terrier was barking due to a change in her normal routine
    she was barking at people passing the garden, which she always does at any time of the day ---- I am unfortunately getting an earful from my neighbour because it is at night.

I do plan on trying to toilet train the lurcher, I have done so with plenty of dogs before but she is proving quite difficult.
    I prefer for the dogs to sleep outside, especially at the moment with the weather so hot, the house gets very hot during the night and they make to go outside to the run at bedtime rather than willingly moving to the room they stay inside at night time – they also prefer being outside at night. During the winter there is no issue with them sleeping inside when its colder, that’s what has been done up to now until I got the lurcher.

Tilly girl – thanks for your comment on crate training, however, she has no preference for where she goes to the toilet, as in she will poo right directly beside her bed? Could crate training help with this?

To reiterate my initial post, is there any feedback on anti-barking collars. Has anybody used them, any of the different types that are on the market. I was in a pet shop the other day and was told they are severe but they do work. Just wondering is there any positive/negative feedback people could give on these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

OK firstly folks, my request was for feedback on anti-barking collars. I prefer not to use the muzzle on the terrier long term, hence I am posting here. Please do not lecture me on the use of a muzzle when I am looking for a solution – the terrier was barking due to a change in her normal routine
    she was barking at people passing the garden, which she always does at any time of the day ---- I am unfortunately getting an earful from my neighbour because it is at night.

I do plan on trying to toilet train the lurcher, I have done so with plenty of dogs before but she is proving quite difficult.
    I prefer for the dogs to sleep outside, especially at the moment with the weather so hot, the house gets very hot during the night and they make to go outside to the run at bedtime rather than willingly moving to the room they stay inside at night time – they also prefer being outside at night. During the winter there is no issue with them sleeping inside when its colder, that’s what has been done up to now until I got the lurcher.

Tilly girl – thanks for your comment on crate training, however, she has no preference for where she goes to the toilet, as in she will poo right directly beside her bed? Could crate training help with this?

To reiterate my initial post, is there any feedback on anti-barking collars. Has anybody used them, any of the different types that are on the market. I was in a pet shop the other day and was told they are severe but they do work. Just wondering is there any positive/negative feedback people could give on these?

A dogs bark is one of its main means of communication. To scold the dog for doing something completely natural is wrong, IMO. Put simply, its negative reinforcement, which is never a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

you had a previous thread querying the radio collars to keep dogs in and were advised that they were cruel; the same applies to anti bark collars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Don't know if this is relevant but I volunteered for while at a rescue that dealt with a lot of greyhounds and we always fed them and took them straight outside to poo because they are incapable of holding it. Maybe it could be the same for your lurcher?

As regards anti barking collars I would have no experience, but obviously you would be causing your dog to associate barking with discomfort.

Your dogs bark at passing people because they're confused and unused to the changes and possibly afraid and simply trying to communicate. Having them associate pain with their confusion and fear of people and you'll be setting them up to go nuts
    Not to mention it's downright cruel
    Spend the time engaging with them and training them during the day and they'll stop barking at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The anti-barking collar is not a solution...as has been said, it's completely wrong to punish a dog for communicating. By inhibiting the bark through negative association could be setting you up for all sorts of problems down the line.
    It is unsurprising that the terrier is barking at night, having been inside prior to this. Patterdales can be quite vocal anyway...I have a Patterdale/Fell type and he will bark at anything that moves when he's let out in the garden...which is never for long periods, and he always sleeps inside.
    Re. the housetraining, you'l just have to be patient. If the lurcher spends more time outside, that's less of an opportunity to learn. My female terrier was a nightmare when we got her...she would pee and poo everywhere - her bed, my bed, the sofas, the landing etc. She would even do this just after she had been let out. She has always been nervous, and I don't think she had lived in a house before. Eventually she got it and is completely reliable now...it took about a year though!
    Having the muzzle on unattended is really dangerous. Another point to consider is that keeping the dogs outside leaves them open to theft...and lurchers are particularly vulnerable that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yes it can but its not a magic solution. You need to go back to basics like you would with a puppy. Make sure she goes before bed and get up twice during the night, if she has gone in her crate before you get down then get up earlier until you get to her before she goes. Then gradually leave it later. This will take time.

A lot of posters here say a dog wont go in its own bed but I havent found that to be the case with several fosters I have had. My dogs wouldnt go in their own bed but a new bed to a dog in a new house, it can take a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Those nylon muzzles give the dog no room to pant and are only meant for short-term wear, e.g. during a vet examination.

On sultry nights like these, you're running the risk of the dog getting heatstroke. Take it off.

The lurcher can of course be housetrained - just sounds like you just need tips on how to do it.

I wouldn't let a lurcher sleep out of doors - it's almost inevitable he/she will be stolen. And with that short, sighthound coat, he/she will be frigid in the winter.

As others of said, treat the lurcher as you would a new puppy. Get a crate for her and go to www.dogstardaily.com for sound advice on crate training. Part of the problem with house training is that some people give up too soon. You have to be patient and persistent.

My greyhound was a stray street dog and she was housetrained within a few weeks of coming here. I used a crate, which she still opts to sleep in. Jebb Tools are definitely the cheapest for crates - that's where I got hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Some advice would be to train the dog to "speak", which sounds counter-intuitive I know, but once you have it mastered, you can command the dog to speak and be silent. I won't go into details (you can decide yourself if/how to train your dog) The reason I mention it is because a Danish friend of mine had the same problem with his dog, and after spending a couple of weeks training the dog to speak and waiting for the command to speak (silent) both he and his neighbours are a lot happier and get undisturbed sleep again.

But then again your dog could be just saying "hey! hey you! let me back in!" or something like that, and will just have to adjust to sleeping outside from now on, you can make the transition easier by putting some of your old (won't be worn again) clothes in his bed at night, and create the illusion your close by via scent.

Failing the "home remedies" you might want to ask a proper trainer to come and sort it out for you, or give you advice on how to handle the situation, but do take the health warnings from other posters to heart, and crating isn't a bad option either, the xlarge crates from jebb tools are like fifty bucks or something surely a worthwhile investment :)

V

PS: Don't use fancy collars to try fix your dog, I could show you some horror stories about those devices, and you would go off them for life... like most of us have. Follow through on your owners commitment and train your dog, or outsource someone to help you, gizmos like (anti-anything) collars, radio fences or any other electrical containment system are to be avoided. If you don't believe it, google up some pictures of these collars gone wrong and you'll see why no one in their right mind would ever consider risking having one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You know it simply beggers belief that you just stuck a nylon muzzle on your dog in order to shut him up - that is really an incredibly cruel thing to do - those nylon muzzles are not far off taping a dogs mouth shut they fit so close -and you know animal welfare officers would take issue with this action.

Every dog can be toilet trained if the effort is made by the owner- so you should follow some of the advise here and toilet train the lurcher and allow the dogs to sleep inside and also allow your neighbours to sleep. Those bark collars although legal are awful things too - you see a good dog owner will put effort into training a dog and not just look for cruel quick fixes. Im genuinely horrified over the abuse of the muzzle.

Advertisement