Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Sydney in Oct. Any advice?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just secured a transfer with work to move to Sydney for at least two years. Should be arriving over there in October so not much time to organise everything. I will be working out in West Pennant Hills in the Cumberland forest. From what I can see this is quite a bit outside the CBD.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on suitable places to live? I don't mind a bit of a commute to work (say up to about an hour?) and don't want to be too far outside the city either. I've been looking at places in and around the northern rail line. Neutral Bay/Crows Nest area perhaps? Can you take a bicycle on the northern line?

Still getting my head around the crazy rent prices. I'll be on a 457 visa and my girlfriend is moving over on a WHV and hopefully she will pick up some contracting work in the pharmaceutical industry. Neither of us would be party animals but we enjoy our nights out and want to live somewhere with good access to the city and with nice places to eat and go for runs so preferably somewhere scenic or near a park.

If there's any suggestions or websites which might have some handy info please let me know.

Finally does anyone has any recommendation for getting over there without spending a fortune? Looking at 800 for a one way flight with Etihad/Emirates.... I got a return flight two years ago with etihad for a grand so seems a bit expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Kenny_D wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just secured a transfer with work to move to Sydney for at least two years. Should be arriving over there in October so not much time to organise everything. I will be working out in West Pennant Hills in the Cumberland forest. From what I can see this is quite a bit outside the CBD.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on suitable places to live? I don't mind a bit of a commute to work (say up to about an hour?) and don't want to be too far outside the city either. I've been looking at places in and around the northern rail line. Neutral Bay/Crows Nest area perhaps? Can you take a bicycle on the northern line?

Still getting my head around the crazy rent prices. I'll be on a 457 visa and my girlfriend is moving over on a WHV and hopefully she will pick up some contracting work in the pharmaceutical industry. Neither of us would be party animals but we enjoy our nights out and want to live somewhere with good access to the city and with nice places to eat and go for runs so preferably somewhere scenic or near a park.

If there's any suggestions or websites which might have some handy info please let me know.

Finally does anyone has any recommendation for getting over there without spending a fortune? Looking at 800 for a one way flight with Etihad/Emirates.... I got a return flight two years ago with etihad for a grand so seems a bit expensive.

Why not put your gf on your 457 visa. It would give her a much better chance of getting work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

s.c wrote: »
    Why not put your gf on your 457 visa. It would give her a much better chance of getting work.

Unfortunately she won't qualify for a de-facto on my visa because we have been living separately for the last year and a half so wouldn't have the necessary proof required. At least that's my current understanding of it

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

Hi Kenny_D,

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

Living together

Living together is regarded as a common element in most on-going relationships. Partners who are currently not living together may be required to demonstrate a high level of proof that they are not living separately and apart on a permanent basis.

If this is near impossible to prove, I believe you can apply for defacto after 6 months of living together in AU.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Hi all,

I live about 2 miles from Cumberland State Forest so I know it well its about 15 miles from the city, you can bring a bike on train free of charge except between 6am-9am and 3:30-7:30 weekdays where you need to purchase a child ticket for the bike.

Neutral Bay and Crows nest are nice areas, bit pricey but only 10 mins from the city. Plenty of Restaurants, parks and even a couple of beaches.

Most of the Pharmaceutical industry is Frenchs Forrest, Dee Why and North Ryde. Not sure if they would touch a WHV but I know someone who got a job at AstraZeneca in North Ryde doing some sort of factory operative work on a WHV a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

Hey Kenny, try http://www.skyscanner.ie/ for cheap flights!

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I live about 2 miles from Cumberland State Forest so I know it well its about 15 miles from the city, you can bring a bike on train free of charge except between 6am-9am and 3:30-7:30 weekdays where you need to purchase a child ticket for the bike.

Neutral Bay and Crows nest are nice areas, bit pricey but only 10 mins from the city. Plenty of Restaurants, parks and even a couple of beaches.

Most of the Pharmaceutical industry is Frenchs Forrest, Dee Why and North Ryde. Not sure if they would touch a WHV but I know someone who got a job at AstraZeneca in North Ryde doing some sort of factory operative work on a WHV a few years ago.

Thanks for the info. Are there any other areas you would recommend between cumberland and the city that are close to the rail line for commuting? I was mainly looking at neutral bay area since it was close to the city and seems to have plenty of amenities so we can enjoy our time outside of work.

Hey Kenny, try http://www.skyscanner.ie/ for cheap flights!

Cheers butters, skyscanner is my goto the last few years for flights. The email reminders for price changes have saved me quite a few quid ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Thanks for the info. Are there any other areas you would recommend between cumberland and the city that are close to the rail line for commuting? I was mainly looking at neutral bay area since it was close to the city and seems to have plenty of amenities so we can enjoy our time outside of work.

North Sydney, Neutral bay, St Leonard's and Crows Nest probably have what you want definitely nice areas. Any further out and it's all Suburbs with high end business at North Ryde and Norwest. Anywhere on a train line is often expensive, if you want to be close to the city and do all the stuff then around neutral bay is the place north of the Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

Hi op, I'm working within pharma here the last 2 years. I'm on the marketing side. Currently with Pfizer but previously with Abbott and Vertex. Industry experience is highly weighted here and while work, even contract on a whv is harder to come by these days, it's a good industry to be in esp if she gets defacto status. Let me know if I can help

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SOH32

Hi Kenny, well done on the transfer. I am 6 months into a similar transfer from Dub to Sydney. Definitely recommend pursuing the de facto status for your partner if at all possible.

I live in north Sydney which ticks all the boxes for easy access to the CBD and north shore harbour activities, on the train line also. Good restaurants/bars in crows nest if that is where you are considering.

Best of luck with the planning and shout if you need any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Pingu

Hi Kenny,

Well done on getting the transfer. I relocated out myself last October. I'm working up in North Ryde and living in Cammeray.

Crows Nest/Cammeray/Neutral Bay/North Sydney down towards Blues Point are all great areas. If you use the map function on Domain it can be a big help to looking for a unit as you may just be in the next suburb. Then if you use the public transport option on Google Maps it gives you a pretty accurate idea of your commute.

With bringing a bike on the train if you are nearer to St. Leonards it would be less hassle as the train empties out alot there and in North Sydney, it would be a bit of a crush in the mornings in North Sydney. there's more room in St. Leonards.

Don't forget to budget in kitting out your place when you get it as that can do serious damage to the bank account. I was used to renting furnished property which isn't the case here so be ready for it.

If there's any other info you need let us know!

Just to give a quick update. The 457 visa was approved for both of us and we're moving out to Sydney in 24 days. We're going to look for a place around Castle Hill for the first year to be a bit closer to work and also not too far away from Castle Towers shops and there appears to be good bus services to the city. Just need to pack our bags now. Any last minute tips or suggestions from those that made similar moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Might be worth taking a short term let or a shorter lease for flexibility, a year is a long time to commit to if you hate the area.

Cheers. Will look into it, we have a few weeks temporary accommodation booked in castle hill for when we arrive but short term accommodation is shockingly expensive. I figure we'll have enough other things to be worrying about in the first year getting settled in that it should go by quick enough and then we can reassess the situation after the year if we want to move.

Are shorter leases common? Can you negotiate lease terms/prices with estate agents or is everything set in stone? I've never rented before either so not sure what the process is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Cheers. Will look into it, we have a few weeks temporary accommodation booked in castle hill for when we arrive but short term accommodation is shockingly expensive.
    Sounds like a good plan. A few weeks should be enough to get a feel for the place.
    Are shorter leases common? Can you negotiate lease terms/prices with estate agents or is everything set in stone? I've never rented before either so not sure what the process is
    The only time I have ever tried is was when i wanted an 11 month lease instead of a 12 month. I sprung it on the agent as we were signing the lease. We amended the lease there and then. But I am naughty.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Cheers. Will look into it, we have a few weeks temporary accommodation booked in castle hill for when we arrive but short term accommodation is shockingly expensive. I figure we'll have enough other things to be worrying about in the first year getting settled in that it should go by quick enough and then we can reassess the situation after the year if we want to move.

I was able to get a 6 month lease on my place, and there was no difference in the rent if it was to be a 12 month lease. No harm asking.

Advertisement