Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structured Interview

• 18-07-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a structured interview next week and just wondering if anyone might be able to provide a few pointers/bullet points/buzz words that I should be hitting under the following headings please:

1 - Ability to work as part of a small team;
    2 - Good judgement/strong decuision making skills;
    3 - Good communication skills and customer focus; and
    4 - Ability to work on own initiative and show commitment.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

My advice - avoid 'buzz words' or obviously rehearsed replies. Our company holds very structured interviews at the initial stage. Yes, we do have a list of things to look out for in the answer, but at the same time, when a candidate has obviously learned off 'key phrases' or buzz words as a 'standard' response it is very clear and not a good thing.

Instead, ask yourself, who do I think makes an ideal team member? what do I think a manager is looking for from a team member? List all the traits you think make someone a good team member. Then apply this to yourself and ask yourself, how, when and where did I do these things. You will then have examples of ways in which you have demonstrated action. Make sure your examples are relevant and succinct - don't waffle on about how you 'initiated a system' for collecting the milk kitty!

I want to hear what you do or have done to demonstrate you can work as a member of a small team, that you have good jusgement, that you can communicate etc etc. I don't want to hear the rote list of buzz words. Trust me, about 75% of candidates list off the generic responses to those questions and they never score highly. The ones who do well are the ones who understand that the interview is about getting to know you as an employee and learn what you can bring to the table. And only you can answer that. The more honest you are and the better your examples are of demonstrating these things, the better you do in the interview. Explain things in a straight forward manner and avoid buzz words - instead show you know what you are talking about by using straight forward language that clearly explains what you did, how, when and the result.

Unless of course you are interviewing for a sales job. In which case just go in and throw a load of random buzz words out, and use the phrase 'going forward' as often as possible :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

My advice - avoid 'buzz words' or obviously rehearsed replies. Our company holds very structured interviews at the initial stage. Yes, we do have a list of things to look out for in the answer, but at the same time, when a candidate has obviously learned off 'key phrases' or buzz words as a 'standard' response it is very clear and not a good thing.

Instead, ask yourself, who do I think makes an ideal team member? what do I think a manager is looking for from a team member? List all the traits you think make someone a good team member. Then apply this to yourself and ask yourself, how, when and where did I do these things. You will then have examples of ways in which you have demonstrated action. Make sure your examples are relevant and succinct - don't waffle on about how you 'initiated a system' for collecting the milk kitty!

I want to hear what you do or have done to demonstrate you can work as a member of a small team, that you have good jusgement, that you can communicate etc etc. I don't want to hear the rote list of buzz words. Trust me, about 75% of candidates list off the generic responses to those questions and they never score highly. The ones who do well are the ones who understand that the interview is about getting to know you as an employee and learn what you can bring to the table. And only you can answer that. The more honest you are and the better your examples are of demonstrating these things, the better you do in the interview. Explain things in a straight forward manner and avoid buzz words - instead show you know what you are talking about by using straight forward language that clearly explains what you did, how, when and the result.

Unless of course you are interviewing for a sales job. In which case just go in and throw a load of random buzz words out, and use the phrase 'going forward' as often as possible :P

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply; it is very much appreciated.

Until I read it, I was thinking of going the exact opposite way and have it filled with buzz words etc. But your advice is well thought out and educational. I guess that perhaps you are an interviewer from time to time.

Your last sentence made me laugh, no its not a sales job :) whenever possible I go out of my way not to use phrases like going forward or thinking outside the box etc etc

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Not sure if this helps, but my previous employed always told me to use the acrynom STAR when in an interviewer situation. They gave marks in interviews using this format.

What they are looking for is practical examples:

Situation (set the scene quickly)
    Task (what happened / what did you have to do)
    Action (what did you do)
    Result (what was the outcome - if negative why?)

Make sure the STAR is applicable to the question.

I've used this to good affect in interviews since as it keeps me on track and stops me waffling over questions.

Good luck.

Dinkie wrote: »
    Not sure if this helps, but my previous employed always told me to use the acrynom STAR when in an interviewer situation. They gave marks in interviews using this format.

What they are looking for is practical examples:

Situation (set the scene quickly)
    Task (what happened / what did you have to do)
    Action (what did you do)
    Result (what was the outcome - if negative why?)

Make sure the STAR is applicable to the question.

I've used this to good affect in interviews since as it keeps me on track and stops me waffling over questions.

Good luck.

Thanks Man

Yes STAR is totally applicable, but me trying to remember it is not so easy.

Regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

This is a competency based interview iba, and the STAR methodology is your only way to approach it, good responses given above. You don't have to remember STAR at the interview but you should use it in preparing your answers to the likely question. The interviewers will be basing your ability to perform in your new job on your past performance (they have no other way of judging you)

e.g. The question might be 'Give me an example of where you showed your initiave' - the question won't be as simple and straightforward as this but has to be along those lines.
    Your response: The company were sending out 1 million paper bills per year to 100 of our customers costing the business €500k per year. (SITUATION)
    I felt that this was an unnecessary recurring cost and investigated alternative options using IT (TASK).
    I developed a plan, brought it to my manager, got the IT guys on board, talked to the effected customers, and implemented an electronic billing system (ACTION)
    The company has been saved €500k pa, the MD is delighted, the customers are delighted, untold help has been done to the environment and I am happy because the MD gave me a €500k bonus (RESULT)

This is an extreme example, but you need to have specific examples of all of those listed 4 competencies, prepare (and practice) your answers for each one, don't waffle, don't use buzz words, don't use technical stuff that the interviewers won't understand, don't use 'we'.

Good luck!!

• Advertisement

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    This is a competency based interview iba, and the STAR methodology is your only way to approach it, good responses given above. You don't have to remember STAR at the interview but you should use it in preparing your answers to the likely question. The interviewers will be basing your ability to perform in your new job on your past performance (they have no other way of judging you)

e.g. The question might be 'Give me an example of where you showed your initiave' - the question won't be as simple and straightforward as this but has to be along those lines.
    Your response: The company were sending out 1 million paper bills per year to 100 of our customers costing the business €500k per year. (SITUATION)
    I felt that this was an unnecessary recurring cost and investigated alternative options using IT (TASK).
    I developed a plan, brought it to my manager, got the IT guys on board, talked to the effected customers, and implemented an electronic billing system (ACTION)
    The company has been saved €500k pa, the MD is delighted, the customers are delighted, untold help has been done to the environment and I am happy because the MD gave me a €500k bonus (RESULT)

This is an extreme example, but you need to have specific examples of all of those listed 4 competencies, prepare (and practice) your answers for each one, don't waffle, don't use buzz words, don't use technical stuff that the interviewers won't understand, don't use 'we'.

Good luck!!

Thanks for that as I have an example which is very close to your one where a procedure was being followed where letters were being couried out costing 15K a year (letters were being sent abroad to various countries) and I came up with the very very simple idea of lets just email the letters out instead. Management agreed and it was done. 15K was saved and the customers received their letters quicker.

Regards

Hi Guys,

Well feedback is important so just to let uyou know that I did ok, not great not terrible. Got placed 14 out of a total of 19 put on the panel out of 35 interviewed.

Got the following marks:

Skills/Competencies Maximum Mark Mark Awarded

Ability to work as part of a small team 100 80
    Good judgement / strong decision-making skills 100 60
    Good communications skills and customer focus 100 80
    Ability to work on own initiative and show commitment 100 75
    Supervisor's Assessment Form 100 80
    Total 500 375

Comments of Board: Demonstrated in depth knowledge of the role and his ability to perform the role to teh required standard.

So obviously I need to work on my judgement and decision making skills.

So guys thanks for your time, help and advice.

Appreciated.

Regards

The Iba

Advertisement