Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good places to eat with kids in south Kerry?

Options
  • 18-07-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭

Heading to the Sneem area for a week or so, can anybody recommend good places to eat lunch or early dinners in that general area, I know of a few places in Kenmare but wouldn't know about anything past that. I'd be happy to get recommendations for all price ranges as we'd like to get nice grub the odd time, thing is we'll have 4 kids including a baby, they're usually quite well behaved!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

We went down there 2 weeks ago and stayed in Sneem Hotel apartments, we had the dinner in the hotel in the evening and it was fab, we have 3 young kids and no bother with the food for them...stay away from the chipper in the town though, went up there one evening and got a quarter pounder with cheese which turned out to be a bun with a thin piece of meat and an easi single cheese slice on top...€5-70 I paid for it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭robbe

Can't speak from (much) experience but the following seem to have decent reps for kids options

D O'Sheas (Sneem) - Bar food -seems to be recommended by loads but can't speak from experience
    Charcoal Steakhouse (Kenmare) - as name suggests
    Bella Vita (Kenmare) - Italian - open all day, nice pizzas but can get busy in evening - ate there years ago with kids and it was fine, loads of kids in there, not especially friendly to them but food suits them and they're open early
    Salvados (Kenmare) - Tapas food - not sure how early it opens but ate there a few years ago with 3 kids and they were very friendly, if busy
    Davitts (Kenmare) - Bar food - ok food, don't expect gourmet but open for food all day and we found it fine
    The boathouse - (Kenmare) - seems to have kids menu and space to let kids run about after a meal

Not overly sure of Sneem - only 6-7 restaurants and based on tripadvisor reviews 2 are to be avoided.....hth

If you've been and are back you might tell me where was nice/nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

derrynane hotel would be child friendly too and probably slightly nearer it would be an ideal stop after spending the day on derrynane beach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

somewhere different

http://strawberryfield-ireland.com/about.html

it's about 4 km down the Sneem rd from Molls Gap

Tried it last week , just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭robbe

I've eaten there before with the kids, fine for a lunch (assuming you like pancakes) but you wouldn't be heading there for dinner. Nice pancakes tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

robbe wrote: »
    I've eaten there before with the kids, fine for a lunch (assuming you like pancakes) but you wouldn't be heading there for dinner. Nice pancakes tho...

Nearly €7 a pancake, found it very expensive, 2 adult pancakes, 3 childrens pancakes, 2 soft drinks and 3 coffees, bill came to €35 odd. went out of the door and asked herself will we go for lunch?

Following week herself made a batch of pancakes at home, realised then the profit that place was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I started this thread about a month ago, all suggestions were too late for my needs but we ate in a few of them. We were in the Parknasilla houses and the bar food in the hotel was quite good, staff were grand and there was no problem with the kids, ate one night in the Derrynane hotel coming back from the beach and it wasn't up to much to be honest but the waitress(English girl) was lovely, the menu was from the 70s, not what we were hoping for, place had that old smell. Tried the Sneem hotel another day and it was fine but nothing special. The chipper in Sneem with the huge sign saying "best fish and chips in Ireland" intrigued me but it was terrible, deadly expensive, very slow and only the chips were any way decent. Had a nice lunch in Jam in Kenmare and a lovely one in the Purple Heather(outstanding Fish soup, not a Chowder, more French style). On the way home we ate in the Ross hotel in Killarney and that was an outstanding lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

Jam on Henry st in Kenmare is a great place for daytime food, fantastic selection of homemade foods and salads, and great desserts. Wharton's chippers on Main St are simply the best chippers I have ever come across, bar none. Handcut chips with the freshest fish and the crispiest batter.....ah feck it, I'm hungry now.
    Davitts on Henry st for the Sunday roast, great value and good wholesome food.
    I particularly like the food in the Sailors bar on the Tousist rd, all fresh and very suitable for families. It's on the Beara way about 3 miles out from Kenmare. The restaurant only opens from May to October, but so well worth a visit, and the view!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭custom900

Sorry for dredging up an old thread, just noticed the date. Doh!

Advertisement