Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Nut Allergy

Options
  • 18-07-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Sending my (almost) 12 month old to creche in a few weeks. They want to know if he has any food allergies. He has 3 cousins on his fathers side (one in each family) with nut allergies, two mild enough, but one quite severe.

I havent tried my son with nuts yet (to my knowledge it isnt in anything i have given him).

Do I have to go to a special allergy testing place to get him tested, or can it be done in the dr's office? could the nurse do it maybe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My nephew has severe nut allergy amongst other allergies. I took months for her to convice the gp they needed allergy testing. Eventually she was sent for a blood test. Talk to your GP about it in the mean time tell the crèche there is possible nut allergy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Thanks, yeah i have them told, will be taking him for his 12m jabs next week so i'll ask then.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends, are you in a major city? There is a long enough waiting list for allergy testing in cork in the CUH at the moment. Your GP can refer you.

pwurple wrote: »
    Depends, are you in a major city? There is a long enough waiting list for allergy testing in cork in the CUH at the moment. Your GP can refer you.

Are you serious? already on one long waiting list there, don't fancy another.. I thought it was something a dr could do...
    Might just head to private clinic so that we can find out sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

silly wrote: »
    Are you serious? already on one long waiting list there, don't fancy another.. I thought it was something a dr could do...
    Might just head to private clinic so that we can find out sooner rather than later.

You're on a waiting list to see your GP? Odd.

Annyway, AFAIK, they need to have been already exposed to the allergen to be able to detect the allergen-specific antibodies in the blood test. That's what the scratch tests are for, to introduce a tiny bit into the body. GP wouldn't normally do those, that's what the allergy units in the hospitals are for. They have all the resuscitation gear and epi-pens on hand and ready to go, in case of a severe reaction.

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    You're on a waiting list to see your GP? Odd.

Annyway, AFAIK, they need to have been already exposed to the allergen to be able to detect the allergen-specific antibodies in the blood test. That's what the scratch tests are for, to introduce a tiny bit into the body. GP wouldn't normally do those, that's what the allergy units in the hospitals are for. They have all the resuscitation gear and epi-pens on hand and ready to go, in case of a severe reaction.

No we are on a waiting list for the CUH on a different matter.
    I will speak with my dr about the nut allergy so, thanks.

Advertisement