Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HK Via Guangzhou

• 18-07-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I fly into Guangzhou.

I am wondering do I need to get a chinese visa to get the train from China to HK after I land. The next flight to HK is many hours after I land and I would like to keep on trucking.

Does anyone know how much a chinese visa is (Staying in HK a week....Just flying in and out of China, nothing else)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

dave3004 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I fly into Guangzhou.

I am wondering do I need to get a chinese visa to get the train from China to HK after I land. The next flight to HK is many hours after I land and I would like to keep on trucking.

Does anyone know how much a chinese visa is (Staying in HK a week....Just flying in and out of China, nothing else)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave

you will as far as I know. HK is a special economic zone and strictly controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You will need a visa as you need to "land" to get the train. If you stay airside and wait for a flight within 24 hours you won't need a visa. Hong Kong is a special administrative region with immigration controls. Special economic zones, like nearby Shenzhen, are different things.

I used to live in HK and until recently travelled there every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marcusm wrote: »
    You will need a visa as you need to "land" to get the train. If you stay airside and wait for a flight within 24 hours you won't need a visa. Hong Kong is a special administrative region with immigration controls. Special economic zones, like nearby Shenzhen, are different things.

I used to live in HK and until recently travelled there every month.

How easy is the journey?

We plan to do both places next Easter and not sure if its best to fly to HK or Guangzhou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

How easy is the journey?

We plan to do both places next Easter and not sure if its best to fly to HK or Guangzhou.

I've never travelled between them but I recall the flights as fairly frequent and likely to remain so until the train opens in the next few years. Ultimately oth are 11-12 hour flights with a 7-8 hour time shift so likely to disrupt even the most seasoned traveller for 2-3 days. Some f my trips could be quite short, say 2-3 nights on the ground. Occasionally, I took a noon flight out of London arriving 7am Hong Kong time, straight to work until 7:30/8pm. Those could be really discombobulating.

Not sure how long you'll be away for or what time you'll leave at. Guangzhou arrival would imply China Southern using new Airbus aircraft (artfully financed) but service targeted principally at Chinese passengers. Hong Kong as entry point would offer a greater range of western focused airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Marcusm wrote: »
    I've never travelled between them but I recall the flights as fairly frequent and likely to remain so until the train opens in the next few years. Ultimately oth are 11-12 hour flights with a 7-8 hour time shift so likely to disrupt even the most seasoned traveller for 2-3 days. Some f my trips could be quite short, say 2-3 nights on the ground. Occasionally, I took a noon flight out of London arriving 7am Hong Kong time, straight to work until 7:30/8pm. Those could be really discombobulating.

Not sure how long you'll be away for or what time you'll leave at. Guangzhou arrival would imply China Southern using new Airbus aircraft (artfully financed) but service targeted principally at Chinese passengers. Hong Kong as entry point would offer a greater range of western focused airlines.

We are still planning the trip. We have friends in Guangzhou so will be visiting them, but want to visit HK as well, so may fly in to Baiyun and out of Hong Kong, or vice versa.

Alternatively, just pop to Hong Kong for a few days in the middle. I've been told it's a two to three hour journey, not sure if that's car or train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

We are still planning the trip. We have friends in Guangzhou so will be visiting them, but want to visit HK as well, so may fly in to Baiyun and out of Hong Kong, or vice versa.

Alternatively, just pop to Hong Kong for a few days in the middle. I've been told it's a two to three hour journey, not sure if that's car or train.

The train is only two hours and could be faster by the time you get there. There are also dozens of buses. It's easy.

From a cost viewpoint a return flight to one or the other would probably be cheaper.

It would be simpler to fly return to HK and take the train to Guangzhou and back as you'd then only need a single entry visa for China.

Advertisement