Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

birthing pool - my experience

Options
  • 18-07-2013 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all, I wanted to come on and talk about my experience ofusing the new birthing pool in the Coombe hospital.

I had my first baby just last month, and had been quitenervous about how I would handle labour. A lot of my girlfriends who have childrenhad told me how they had all opted for an epidural during delivery and to notget it was insane! I was unsure about doing this, as I have a history of backproblems.

While going to the pre natal course in the hospital, we weretold about the birthing pool and how it can be used to relieve pain during labour. This sounded like something I would be interested in and I decided thento at least give it a try when the time came. There is no need to book for it,so when I was brought into the labour suite, I asked about getting to use thepool straight away J

As there was some one using it at the time I had to wait acouple of hours. In the meantime, I used the gas and air to help me throughcontractions. Unfortunately, I had been feeling ill all day and while thecontractions came and went, the sick feeling didn’t L When I was told the room wasfree, we moved upstairs to it and it came as a lovely surprise to see how unclinical the room was. It was large and bright with large (frosted) windows anda radio playing softly. There were bean bags and gym balls around the room andof course the birthing pool. It’s actually more like a large, deep bath.

Once I got into the pool, my sick feeling went and thepressure and pain in my lower back eased. I felt more relaxed then I had in daysand happily spent the next few hours in there. My waters broke in the bath andthen I got out, to get ready to deliver the baby.

Legislation currently states that you cannot deliver thebaby in the pool, but your midwife can tell you about that. Our daughter was delivered safely a whilelater and the fact that it was such a positive and calm experience for us all,I put largely down to using the pool and the wonderful support of the midwifeand of course my husband; who could not get over how calm I was! J

I know it might not be for everyone, but if you’re evenconsidering it I would highly recommend it.

Good luck everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

We had a really positive experience of the pool with my last birth. We had the baby at home and I delivered in the pool. He was a massive baby- over 9lb- but I had no tearing and I found that being in the water I was able to move around a lot more and stay active throughout my labour without getting too tired. I'm definitely going for it again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

planning a homebirth for the end of sept. got the birthing pool the other week so im delighted to hear both of your positive stories ;). i did hear that sometimes the pool can be so relaxing that it slows down contractions...did this happen to either of you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

clare82 wrote: »
    planning a homebirth for the end of sept. got the birthing pool the other week so im delighted to hear both of your positive stories ;). i did hear that sometimes the pool can be so relaxing that it slows down contractions...did this happen to either of you?

For my first two births we had planned home births, both babies were stargazing (op presentation) so the labour didn't progress very quickly and I had that same problem each time. I pretty much needed to be up and moving to keep the contractions going at all and got no use from the pool. I wasn't going to bother the last time but the midwives just got a flash new pool and one of my friends really talked it up so I gave it a go- I was so glad that I did. It was bigger and deeper than the one I'd had previously (basically a kids paddling pool) and I had plenty of room to move. I did do a lot in my last pregnancy to avoid another stargazer which contributed to the success of the birth. I wrote my full birth story in the birth stories thread if you're interested. So nice to hear of another home birther :)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭remsburgsgirl

@Freddyb,

This is a lovely birth story, congratulations on your baby. I have never heard of the birthing pool in the Coombe, even though I am due to have my third baby soon (my 2nd baby was born there 1.5 years ago)...

...were you transferred back to a normal delivery room after your waters broke in the pool?
    ...would you be allowed the gas & air while in the pool if you felt you needed?
    ...is someone with you all the time, do they keep a regular check on you to see how far your labour had progressed to ensure you don't end up delivering in the pool?

Sorry for all the questions! I am excited to hear about this method of handling the labour, I have to attend the consultants clinic & not allowed the midwives clinic for this pregnancy unfortunately & I feel you get much less info from the docs than you would if you go to see the midwives every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I think someone has to supervise when you are in the pool... I'd ask at your next appointment about it. I think there's more than one pool too I'm not too sure but I've read somewhere that there were six of these new rooms with the pools but they must have become very popular.

• Advertisement
Advertisement