Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your thoughts please

Options
  • 18-07-2013 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi
    Bit of background information. We bought a house 9 years ago. Mortgage (tracker) was 330,000. Separated last year, sold the house for 220,000 so 110,000 still outstanding to lender.
    As directed by the lender, stopped the direct debit for mortgage in April 2012.
    Severe lack of communication from lender in relation to sorting out the outstanding amount, it has been me making all the phone calls and sending letters to try and get a resolution. Last contact made in February 2013 and lender was to revert with an agreed amount to be paid by us.
    So after 16 months of no payments to them, lender decides to change the originators reference on original direct debit to access my account and deduct nearly 1500EUR at the start of the month.
    Needless to say I was not a happy camper but after a week the money was refunded into my account and I was assured by the lender that the direct debit had now been cancelled (even though I had cancelled it the previous year with my own bank).

So basically my question is this, was the lender right in doing what they did? We still haven't heard anything back in relation to the outstanding amount (which they told us initially we can repay on the tracker rate).
    I think I'm still in shock.

Would love to hear what others think.
    Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

If the lender was right you would not have got the money back. That is a common issue with DD.

As for the outstanding amount you appear content to pay back the remainder at the tracker rate. So not sure what advice you
    want on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fudge74

Thanks for your reply unclebill98

I have since found out that what the lender did is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Surely is was contravening the DD guarantee, not illegal.

http://www.ipso.ie/section/directdebitscheme

There are various stories here of cancelled DD plus' being restarted and money being taken esp with mobile companies.

Advertisement