Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children travelling by them selves

Options
  • 18-07-2013 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of sending our 3 kids home for xmass, and I am just wondering whether or not the airlines will allow them to travel alone.

The eldest is 14 and to be honest she will have no problem navigating through the airports and finding the right gates and all that.
    We will be Dropping them to the airport and seeing them onto the plane, and their Aunt will be there to meet them in Ireland once they come through the customs.

Airlines involved are, KLM, Quantas and Aer Lingus.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Used to do it regulary back and forth to the UK, they are classed as unaccompanied minors and are usually accompanied by someone from the airline through the airport and they usually keep an eye on them during the flight.

Things may have changed in the 25 years I last travelled unaccompanied by I believe the concept still exists and they will be given assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Who are you thinking of flying with ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ifeelill wrote: »
    Who are you thinking of flying with ?

It's in the op

Have you Considered the direct flights from Melbourne to Dublin via Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

My bad

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Had a 15 year old unaccompanied minor travel to visit us from Ireland with Singapore Airlines. She was dropped off by parents in Ireland and we had to present ID and to sign for her the airport here when she arrived. She was unimpressed as she had to wear a big lanyard with unaccompanied minor on it at all times!

• Advertisement

Qantas will allow unaccompanied travel aslong as the children are over the age of 6. If any of the passengers are under the age of 6 then they must be accompanied by a person of 15years or older.

http://www.qantas.com.au/travel/airlines/children-travelling-alone/global/en

Aer Lingus

• Aer Lingus does not accept reservations for unaccompanied children under 12 years of age for travel on Aer Lingus scheduled services.
    • Children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult aged 16 years or older.
    they will accept children between the ages 12 - 15 years old

http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/specialassistance/#d.en.8155

KLM provide an Unaccompanied Minor service you need to book it directly with them, they will accept children between the age of 5 and 14 years old

Advertisement