Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots made for Walking

Options
  • 18-07-2013 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

I'm walking up Slieve Donard in September and want to invest in a pair of boots.

I noticed trespass have a sale on with several pairs of their own brand and Hi Tec boots half price.

Would either of these be worth buying? Will they fall apart after a week or would they be considered reasonable makes.

I'm not planning on becoming a pro, so I'm reluctant to spend €200 on a pair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

If it's just for Slieve Donard, and if you're planning on taking the track up, then you don't need boots. A pair of runners would be fine.

If you do want boots, then Hi-Tec boots are fine for that kind of thing. Just make sure that they're well broken in by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Donny5 wrote: »
    If it's just for Slieve Donard, and if you're planning on taking the track up, then you don't need boots. A pair of runners would be fine.

If you do want boots, then Hi-Tec boots are fine for that kind of thing. Just make sure that they're well broken in by then.

It's an organised event and they've said no runners.

I'm buying them now on the basis that I'll have them broken in by then.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭iopener

I walked up slieve donard last Sunday wearing runners the only point were I felt I needed boots was coming down.the left handside of the wall is slippery the lesser used right hand side of the wall is meant to better.there's a Rocky path all the way from the bridge at the ice house, the first half of the path til you cross over the stream is easy enough but after you crossed the stream it gets very steep.beat of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Going down Donard in the inside of the wall is far better... .everyone seems to use the outside because that's where the trail is, but it's rather worn and loose underfoot - much better on the other side...

I wouldn't do it in runners but walking shoes with a decent grip would be fine, no need for great expense for a oneoff - it's mainly a very accessible trail. There's practically steps from the head of the Glen river to the top of the col and the wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Treadhead wrote: »
    Going down Donard in the inside of the wall is far better... .everyone seems to use the outside because that's where the trail is, but it's rather worn and loose underfoot - much better on the other side...

I wouldn't do it in runners but walking shoes with a decent grip would be fine, no need for great expense for a oneoff - it's mainly a very accessible trail. There's practically steps from the head of the Glen river to the top of the col and the wall...

Berghaus are great, try them on and see for yourself

• Advertisement

It's an organised event and they've said no runners.

I'm buying them now on the basis that I'll have them broken in by then.

Thanks for the advice.

If its a case of just buying them for one event, I'd look at Lidl or Aldi.

My first pair was Hi Tec and they fell apart after 3 treks.

If looking to take it up, wouldn't consider any of the foregoing.

Advertisement